Stump grinder build

cviola2005

Jun 8, 2016
Clarkrange, TN, USA
Good eye! It doesn't hit but it is close. I joked to myself that I'll know when the pins are worn when the fitting breaks off. Its on my list to put them back on the mill and recess them before final assembly.
lol, thanks. Haha, that's one way to know, for sure!

Ok, good. Don't forget that step, it'll prevent a headache later (if in fact they would break when the pins are worn).

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
Tacked up the shorter main frame and checked for fit. This one is within 1/2" of the lowest part of my tractor and that works for me. Finished the welding and next up will be welding on the swivels.

Attachments

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
Mounting the swivel clevises to the main frame. The ones for the boom and vertical cylinder are pretty straight forward. I want to mount the boom with the cylinder attached to the main frame to locate the other end of the cylinders. Just the old school way I still prefer.

Attachments

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
Thinking ahead, I would like to powder coat this when done. Has any body tried to match the rops gray up to an RAL chart?

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Man, this thing looks more & more awesome every time you post! Can't wait to see it in operation! Hope you've got lots of stumps to chew up.

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
Thinking ahead, I would like to powder coat this when done. Has any body tried to match the rops gray up to an RAL chart?
Remebered there has been a handful of threads on powder coating. Hopefully one of them has the RAL # you're looking for. Can't search by RAL .. too few characters... 4 is minimum :(

Below is search using keywords "powder coat" not sure how long it will store that search id. Only finds about 8 threads though

http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/search.php?searchid=1832727

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
Man, this thing looks more & more awesome every time you post! Can't wait to see it in operation! Hope you've got lots of stumps to chew up.
Trust me. No lack of stumps. We'll know by the end whether we have a good machine or not!

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
Remebered there has been a handful of threads on powder coating. Hopefully one of them has the RAL # you're looking for. Can't search by RAL .. too few characters... 4 is minimum :(

Below is search using keywords "powder coat" not sure how long it will store that search id. Only finds about 8 threads though

http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/search.php?searchid=1832727
Thanks coachgeo!
I found a site that has a good match for the new orange, or so they claim. Ordered some today to try it out. Orange would be my first choice anyway, but I know from trying a couple different orange RAL colors that there isn't a good match for the new, redder orange.

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
Working on the end mount for the swing cylinder. Looks like 10 degrees will give me a 90 degree angle when the boom is straight. Cut and threaded some round stock and then milled it at 10 degrees. Tacked in place and looks like the angle will work well.

Attachments

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
Got the swivel made for the swing cylinder and the mounts located. Tested the swing and all looks good.
Installed the lock cylinders to check for clearance issues and all look OK, except that I see a guard coming for the bottom ones in the future.

Attachments

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Looking really good,, and I have to ask where did you find that itty bitty floor jacl

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
The fittings at the swivel end of the boom are for the extension cylinder, correct?

What are the fittings in the side of the boom?
Those are my lock cylinders for taking the slack out of the boom when grinding. They are single acting cylinders with spring return that I found on EBay for $10 each. It would be ideal if I can come up with a system that would release the pressure automatically when extending and retracting the boom.