Stump grinder build

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
Mounted the boom to start working on the hydraulic hose routing. Pressurized the extend cylinder to check the operation and everything OK. Last picture I'm locating the manifold for the lock cylinders.

Attachments

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
Finished up the hose routing for the intake line and then started working on where my controls will be. I want to try sitting and operating the grinder like a backhoe, so before I can do anything else, I need to get the seat located. I went with a cross member between the fenders for now, but I may want to mount it off the top of the oil tank to keep my feet distance constant. The ROPS can become an issue for head clearance, though. I've got a plan where I can change this in the future if necessary without having to modify anything. Just will have to make a new seat support.

Attachments

bmblank

Equipment
2020 L3901HST, LA525 Loader, 66" Q/A Bucket, PFL2042 Forks, Meteor SB68PT Blower
Mar 4, 2015
Cadillac, MI
Man, you better have a ton of stumps to grind.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

bmblank

Equipment
2020 L3901HST, LA525 Loader, 66" Q/A Bucket, PFL2042 Forks, Meteor SB68PT Blower
Mar 4, 2015
Cadillac, MI
So if you amortize it all out. Hope much do you expect to be spending per stump?

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
So if you amortize it all out. Hope much do you expect to be spending per stump?

That would be like figuring out how much the fish or venison costs to a sportsman. For me, working in my shop building something is my version of fishing, hunting, boating....fill in the blank.

bmblank

Equipment
Mar 4, 2015
Cadillac, MI
Oh, for sure. I know I wouldn't have a tractor and heat with wood if that weren't the case. I'm just curious.

pacer

Equipment
BX25D
Oct 3, 2015
Greenwood La USA
That would be like figuring out how much the fish or venison costs to a sportsman. For me, working in my shop building something is my version of fishing, hunting, boating....fill in the blank.
AMEN!! I dont fish, hunt, golf, hang in the bars, gamble, etc, etc, just let me in my shop making chips, welding, wrenching, grinding - getting nasty and blowing black boogers outa my nose:eek: and I'm a happy guy!

Lookin wicked cool there yoop....

PS: I finished my some 100+- stumps and listed my "store bought" grinder on CL and 12 hrs later it left outa the drive - yeah, I lost a few hundred bucks but I got a BAD mess cleaned up -- and actually got a kick out of running that thing;)

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City

Yep, that's like knowing how much a pheasant cost after the hunt!!:D

If you figure every cost a person has as compared to use, very few folks NEED a tractor!

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
Working on the feet platform and control weldment. When test fitting, I caught the issue of not being able to remove the pin for the boom swivel, so on to the mill and carve out a slot. Clearance to the raise and lower cylinder is close, but it will work.

There will be a 1/2" plate welded to the top of the riser, and from there we start figuring out the joystick and other controls.

Attachments

Alphonse

Equipment
L-35
Feb 16, 2016
Lanco, Pa
Yooper
I'm late to your build, which I think very nice.
Just chiming in about the bearing question you asked about upthread.
I guess you're using bronze or oilite, time tested for this sort of use.
There are a lot of replacements being made of "plastic" that give better life and are direct size replacements. Igus is one mfg. that developed this in the late 80's. Nope don't work for them.
UHMW and nylatron both have good sliding qualities (your tube spacers could have been of this material) but one thing that rules UHMW out is UV light. Used some on a log splitter and it had degraded in a year.
The use of carbon black in delrin apparently eliminates the problem.

BTW, are you putting carbide teeth on the chipper?

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
Yooper
I'm late to your build, which I think very nice.
Just chiming in about the bearing question you asked about upthread.
I guess you're using bronze or oilite, time tested for this sort of use.
There are a lot of replacements being made of "plastic" that give better life and are direct size replacements. Igus is one mfg. that developed this in the late 80's. Nope don't work for them.
UHMW and nylatron both have good sliding qualities (your tube spacers could have been of this material) but one thing that rules UHMW out is UV light. Used some on a log splitter and it had degraded in a year.
The use of carbon black in delrin apparently eliminates the problem.

BTW, are you putting carbide teeth on the chipper?
Yes, I bought a set of carbide teeth from Greenteeth.

I'm feeling pretty good about the bronze bearings because the grease from the pins will exit at the bearing points. Thanks for the info on the plastic. I'll admit, I have hardly any experience with it except for Lexan, which I've made guards out of.

Someone suggested using UHMW like gibs for the inside of the main tube to provide a bearing surface for the inner tube. Gave this a long thought but decided against it on the basis that the tubes will not be straight when all the welding is done to them/on them.

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
Got a fold down step from McMaster and came up with this idea for mounting it on the 3PH link. Found a piece of aluminum 2" x 3" stock and proceeded to mill it out to specs. Nice and solid for a step.

Attachments

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I like that! Very clean install! Don't think you'll break it either!

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
Thanks Lil Foot!

Well, every time I look at the lock cylinders with the lines and fittings, I don't like what I see. They look vulnerable sticking out there. So I thought I'd make a 'snubber' out of bronze. Everything else is in place, I would just replace the cylinder with the snubber.

I looked in my collection of bronze and found this piece of Ampco 45. Looked up the properties and discovered this is an aluminum bronze that is perfect for this application. A few horror stories about its machinablity, but I found it wasn't too bad.

Machined, threaded and milled one out to give a test and I like what I see now much better!

Attachments

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
Some more progress with the bronze parts. I also started working on the control station for the valves. Shown is the joystick that will handle the up and down plus sideways on the boom. I just tacked the mounting plates in place because I have two more valves to fit. One for running the cutting wheel and the other for extending the boom.

Attachments