Starter question

brunswick000

Equipment
Kubota L245DT
Feb 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
I have just rewired my tractor. I have the original starter which I had rebuilt. I can here the starter engaging when I attempt to start but the engine will not turn over. I removed the starter and put power to it. The little gear moves forward as to engage the fly wheel but it does not spin. Am I correct in assuming that I should take it back to the shop the rebuilt it?

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Might be a good idea to take it back and have them recheck the starter. Its not uncommon to rebuild a starter or alternator and have them come out still bad in the end.

B7100

Equipment
B7100,B7100 with Backhoe and FEL, Goldoni Quad 20
Feb 11, 2010
Wales
Just double check that the battery is in good shape and the leads and terminals are clean and tight.

brunswick000

Equipment
Kubota L245DT
Feb 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Battery is brand new but I checked it any way......good. Connections are good....also new. Taking it back in to shop. So annoying. I've been working on this tractor for so long, to have it not work because of something like this is just the icing on the cake.thanks for the replies.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

brunswick000

Equipment
Kubota L245DT
Feb 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Ok looking for a bit more help here. I attempted to take the starter back to the guy who rebuilt it for me. He has closed shop due to health issues. Grrrrr :mad: So my father-in-law and I took the thing apart to have a look. It seemed as though the armature was siezed inside the housing. We found that the commutator and all the brushes and springs appeared new. When we opened it up though there was a pile of tiny tiny black filings. Almost like little balls. They were blackened like they may have been from arching or something. Enough of them to fill up a teaspoon. We got what we felt were all of them out, cleaned everything up with some emry cloth and wd40, put it all back together and still nothing. Im at a loss. I really don't want to pay to have it rebuilt twice. The solenoid is new and working fine. It seems to function normally. Its the motor itself that just wont spin. Any suggestions?

Kytim

Equipment
B6000DT, B7100DT,Snowplow, RM360, Scoop, Cultivator, Carryall,Disk, plow
Aug 14, 2009
Western Ky
Well can you reassemble and take it to some auto parts store that has a starter machine. maybe they can tell you if it has a bad or shorted armature and or windings. It might be a reasonable next step. some auto electric shops will test for free before they rebuild one, so that may also let you know what your in for.

short of that I cant think of anything else at the moment.

tim

Shoes

Equipment
b7100 with 219 Loader
Jul 11, 2009
Chesterfield, MI USA
Check to assure that you are getting a FULL 12 volts to the starter terminal.
I had simular problem with my B7100. Thanks to my friendly Kubota mechanic was told to assure voltage is there. Mine was 11.4 volts, no go. found the current draw in my aux. lights. rewired, and away it goes. no problems since.

birddogger

May 29, 2011
Pittsburgh
The solenoid is new and working fine.
One would hope, but there is such a thing as "new-defective." That it pulls in doesn't mean the internal switch makes contact. With a volt meter check that the lug leading to the motor armature goes "high" (12 V, B+) when the solenoid is energized. If not, it could be the internal contacts OR the motion could be limited in some way; so even though the plunger comes in, it isn't allowed to go far enough to "make" the contacts.
Also you could jump 12V straight to the armature lug of the solenoid and see if it spins without the plunger needing to be pulled in.

brunswick000

Equipment
Kubota L245DT
Feb 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
So I got to thinking what the heck those little balls/filings could be. I remember the guy saying that he would glass bead the body. On further inspection of the filings that is definitely what they were. I guess he did a crap job cleaning it out before reassembly because they had all migrated inside the armature. We took it back apart, tediously cleaned it out, sanded it down, put it back together and it spins like a top now. Thanks to everyone for the tips and suggestions.