Rock bucket for B2601

Oct 24, 2019
IN
Is there an SSQA bucket I could put on the loader of my B2601 which would be suitable for separating soil from debris (like rocks, bricks, roots)? I've thought about a screening setup but that just seems like a lot to store and move around. Seems like a rock bucket with just the right spacing on the tines could work well.
Not exactly sure what the tine spacing would need to be, but I'm mostly fighting with things you might dig up in residential areas. That tends to be chunks of bricks and pavers and any roots you chunk up while grading.

I do often have problems with gravel mixed into soil, but I don't think a rock bucket could deal with debris that small.

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
There are many models around just be careful on weight. virnig, Titan. Just search for rock bucket or skeleton bucket for compact tractor. Tine spacing can be as little as 2 or 3”.

mtl Attachments make a compact rock bucket grapple for $1099 delivered, this may be very useful for you and only weighs 350lb.

I would avoid anything over 400lb. Make sure the mount is for your tractor and not mini skid steer.

Last edited:

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA

swpflipper

Equipment
MX5400 HST, LA1065 FEL, HR2572 box blade - S30 flip Screen
Nov 3, 2020
Arizona
I went crazy with this problem of screening material. The rock bucket works awesome for large pieces. If your going to constantly screen I might suggest a rock bucket and add a screen or something between the times to it or a screen on a frame to dump into.
I wound up with an attachment called a flip screen. This tool is incredible. Unfortunately It's not for a small tractor. You can check it out and get ideas. There are small rotating rock buckets and adding screen would work.

Oct 24, 2019
IN
I saw this on Messicks site a while ago...info says there are two sizes under 250lbs with about 3" spacing.

If I recall correctly, PHPaul picked one up last year. https://www.orangetractortalks.com/...he-ssqa-on-my-la534-loader.46979/#post-409499

Here is messicks version.
This looks like a pretty close match. I question if the 3" spacing is too big for what I want to do, but it is really hard to know without using it. Seems like it would also really depend on the moisture content of the dirt. Dry dirt will fall through a small space but a tight tine spacing on moist dirt could be impossible to work with.

Oct 24, 2019
IN
I went crazy with this problem of screening material. The rock bucket works awesome for large pieces. If your going to constantly screen I might suggest a rock bucket and add a screen or something between the times to it or a screen on a frame to dump into.
I wound up with an attachment called a flip screen. This tool is incredible. Unfortunately It's not for a small tractor. You can check it out and get ideas. There are small rotating rock buckets and adding screen would work.
I've also been haunted with this problem for many years. Have done all kinds of small-scale high labor things like sifting through screens over trash cans.

Oct 24, 2019
IN
Light enough to carry a pebble to the pile.
The B2601 could handle a 720 bucket low down and even move some stuff around without picking it up too high. The big problem I see would be not being able to move the bucket quickly. Movements with that much weight would be very slow and you'd never be able to shake the dirt out of a scoop.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
The B2601 could handle a 720 bucket low down and even move some stuff around without picking it up too high. The big problem I see would be not being able to move the bucket quickly. Movements with that much weight would be very slow and you'd never be able to shake the dirt out of a scoop.
Sorry. My post was more tongue-in-cheek...not to be taken literally.