Rock bucket to fit the SSQA on my LA534 Loader?

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
Titan rock buckets are nice, the issue you may run into is the weight and how much loader capacity you will be left with.

I have a Titan 72" Rock Skeleton bucket and find it very useful but I use it on my MX5800 and on a Kubota SVL 75-2 track loader. Quoted weights are as follows:
72" - 702 lbs
60" - 602 lbs
48" - 562 lbs

Not sure what a B2650 / LA534 loader can handle, I have a L3901 and I would not bother trying to use my 72" on that tractor / loader. I guess another issue is what do you plan to use it for and how much capacity do you need over and above the bucket weight.

I never use it for rocks, on my track loader it is an awesome attachment as I often use it to level out ground very quickly and for ripping out and collecting small stumps.

Update: I looked up your loader capacity and feel the 48" Titan is an absolute maximum size, you will have a lot of limitations in the use. I suggest you do not consider buying this and look at lighter solution such as grapple / rock grapple that would leave you more lift capacity to actually use the attachment.

Last edited:

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
saw a recent messicks video on them. looks like they have a 48" version that weighs 210 lbs... $700

Here's the link:

Reactions: 1 user

PHPaul

Equipment
B2650, Pronovost snow blower, Landpride rotary mower, Howard tiller, box blade
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
saw a recent messicks video on them. looks like they have a 48" version that weighs 210 lbs... $700

Here's the link:

Perfect! I won't be picking up bolders, mostly basketball-sized and under, but there's a crapload of them.

Ordered it, thanks!

Reactions: 2 users

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
awesome, hope it works well for you.

PHPaul

Equipment
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
When it comes in and I get a chance to test drive it, I'll post back to this thread with pix and test results.

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
When it comes in and I get a chance to test drive it, I'll post back to this thread with pix and test results.
That’s a great fit and weight for your tractor and sounds like it will work out well for your described use.

PHPaul

Equipment
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com

Rock bucket arrived at the FedEx terminal yesterday, I went and picked it up this morning. Dang fast shipping, it only went out Monday from Pennsylvania!

Quality and construction look good. Everything is square, all the welds are solid, joints are tight. Powder coat is pretty crude, but I don't expect it to last under it's intended use anyway.

This was my first test area. It was a chicken yard up until this year. It was full of potholes from chickens digging their dust baths and when I tilled it up to level it (and work in the chicken poo) I turned up a crapload of rocks.

In addition to rocks, it will also pick up root masses which is okay. It does a good job of filtering out the dirt, especially as dry as it's been lately. If the soil was wet, I could see where there might be issues. Verdict: It's not the "magic bullet" I was hoping for, but it surely beats picking them by hand.

I actually bought it for cleaning up an area next to a drainage ditch so I can mow it. I knocked the top off it with the dozer blade on a borrowed excavator and, once again, turned up a treasure trove of rocks. Also a lot of woody root masses from what we call "hardtack brush". Again, it did a pretty good job of sifting out the dirt.

I'm pleased with how much it will pick up. Never had any indication that the hydraulics were straining.

Incidental Note: I found out that you can't run a B2650 out of fuel! I got careless and didn't realize how many hours I put on it since last filling it up, didn't check the gauge. Just as I lined up for my first pass in the test area, it quit like I'd turned the key off.

Apparently, it has a low fuel sensor or something that shuts it down before it sucks air. I just topped off the tank and, while it took a few seconds, it started right back up and went to work.

Reactions: 3 users

S-G-R

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310, LA535, rear remotes, third function, R14's
Jun 17, 2020
PEI Canada
Glad to hear the bucket is meeting your needs and expectations.

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA

Rock bucket arrived at the FedEx terminal yesterday, I went and picked it up this morning. Dang fast shipping, it only went out Monday from Pennsylvania!

Quality and construction look good. Everything is square, all the welds are solid, joints are tight. Powder coat is pretty crude, but I don't expect it to last under it's intended use anyway.

This was my first test area. It was a chicken yard up until this year. It was full of potholes from chickens digging their dust baths and when I tilled it up to level it (and work in the chicken poo) I turned up a crapload of rocks.

In addition to rocks, it will also pick up root masses which is okay. It does a good job of filtering out the dirt, especially as dry as it's been lately. If the soil was wet, I could see where there might be issues. Verdict: It's not the "magic bullet" I was hoping for, but it surely beats picking them by hand.

I actually bought it for cleaning up an area next to a drainage ditch so I can mow it. I knocked the top off it with the dozer blade on a borrowed excavator and, once again, turned up a treasure trove of rocks. Also a lot of woody root masses from what we call "hardtack brush". Again, it did a pretty good job of sifting out the dirt.

I'm pleased with how much it will pick up. Never had any indication that the hydraulics were straining.

Incidental Note: I found out that you can't run a B2650 out of fuel! I got careless and didn't realize how many hours I put on it since last filling it up, didn't check the gauge. Just as I lined up for my first pass in the test area, it quit like I'd turned the key off.

Apparently, it has a low fuel sensor or something that shuts it down before it sucks air. I just topped off the tank and, while it took a few seconds, it started right back up and went to work.
I have a rock bucket similar to yours. I bought mine a few years ago from here. https://bxattachments.com/product/rock-bucket/

It took me awhile to learn how to use it properly. There is a certain technique to digging rocks out of the ground and shaking the dirt off so you are only hauling away the rocks and not the soil. Once I learned the technique that worked for me I was able to haul full loads without any trouble. Here is a picture of one of the loads I dug up recently when I was expanding my wife's garden.

20200404_125643.jpg

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
I have a rock bucket similar to yours. I bought mine a few years ago from here. https://bxattachments.com/product/rock-bucket/

It took me awhile to learn how to use it properly. There is a certain technique to digging rocks out of the ground and shaking the dirt off so you are only hauling away the rocks and not the soil. Once I learned the technique that worked for me I was able to haul full loads without any trouble. Here is a picture of one of the loads I dug up recently when I was expanding my wife's garden.

View attachment 47220
She sure does grow some nice rocks!

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
She sure does grow some nice rocks!
Oh no, you ain't seen nothing yet. Check out these rocks. I dug all of them out using the BX1860. These are just a small sample of what I have in my yard.
DSCN0316.JPG
DSCN0318.JPG
DSCN0338.JPG

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
I could use some of those down here. I need a rock wall to keep the people from driving out the backside of the cul-de-sac.

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
I could use some of those down here. I need a rock wall to keep the people from driving out the backside of the cul-de-sac.
I see that you are in West Central Florida, I am in Washington State. It is only about 3700 miles, give or take. If you come here I will give to you for free any and all of the rocks that you want. I will even use my tractor to load them for you, except the ones like what is in my front yard. That one had to be pulled with my pickup truck (Chevy Silverado K2500 with Duramax engine) after we got it out of the ground. I have some that are at least 5 times as big as that one. I could not get them out of the ground so I covered them back up. I did not know how big they were until I started to dig them up. That was a couple wasted weeks.

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
@armylifer - would you care to describe your technique?
What I do is tilt the bucket to about a 60 - 75 degree angle and lower the bucket until the front tires are off the ground. Then I tilt the bucket back and forth to get the bucket teeth digging into the ground. After I get the bucket dug in a few inches I tilt the bucket to pry the rocks out of the ground. I do this until I have pried enough rocks out of the ground to make more than a full bucket load of rocks. Then I back drag the rocks into a pile that I can get the bucket under. I approach the pile with the tractor in low range with the engine at about 2000 RPM. I make sure that the bucket is at about a 15 degree angle and scoop the rocks into the bucket as I am driving slowly into the pile. This has worked well for me as long as the rocks are the size that you can see in the picture I attached previously. If I am working with much larger rocks I use the regular bucket with the piranha bar to dig and pry them out, and then switch to the rock bucket to scoop them up and transport. What method do you use?

PHPaul

Equipment
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
Similar.

Tilt and work up and down until it's digging, forward until it's full of rocks and dirt, pick it up, bounce it a few times to knock the dirt off, rinse/repeat until full or mostly full of rocks/debris.