poly edge for TSC rear blade?

hockeystewey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2017 BX1880 w FEL, 54"MMM, 2019 BX2816 50 " snowblower
Dec 12, 2017
NY
hey guys I am thinking of getting a 5ft rear blade from my local TSC... but I want to put a poly edge on it to protect the asphalt. Does anyone know a good place to get one from or have a better idea for a cutting edge?? thanks ..of it goes on my 1880 if that helps...

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 L4600, Disk, Brush Hog, GB60 Garden Bedder, GSS72 Grading Scraper
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
While you are there you could purchase a stall mat to use. Cut strips and bolt it to the blade.

My barn floor is dirt so I have some I cut in pieces to park the tractor on so the tires would be off the dirt. May be over kill but it also ensures I park in the same place each time and when the wind blows rain under the shelter the tires are just not sitting on wet dirt.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
hey guys I am thinking of getting a 5ft rear blade from my local TSC... but I want to put a poly edge on it to protect the asphalt. Does anyone know a good place to get one from or have a better idea for a cutting edge?? thanks ..of it goes on my 1880 if that helps...
CM has a good idea - seen that many times.

Another cheaper alternative is to take a 2" pvc pipe and slit it along it's long axis and then tap it along the blade.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HP2lzPbtXc0

Stmar

Equipment
B2650HSDC
May 23, 2017
Buffalo, Wyoming
I tried the PVC edge on my ATV snowplow and it worked okay until it got cold, then it shattered. On my Kubota I have a front snow blade and a back blade that rotates 180 degrees so I turn it around so that it will not cut into the driveway, mine is gravel but it would probably be okay on asphalt. Get a blade that has that adjustment range, it is good for a lot of jobs.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
You will probably need to make your own.

Though a hard rubber cutting edge is supplied by Kubota for the hydraulically angled, FEL mounted snow plow on my B3350, Kubota does not offer one for the snow plow on my RTVX-1100C. I have not yet made one but it's on the list of things to do.

SDT

Howling

Equipment
BX2370
Feb 5, 2016
Ayer, MA
I bought a piece of UHMW (1/2"x6") for mine. Used the same bolts and holes from the steel edge. Was $77 w/shipping from usplastic.com The trex decking is a cheaper option.

Blade Edge.jpg

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
I put a 1-1/2 x 6 x 84” polyurethane edge on my heavier blade last year. Thicker polyurethane gets expensive, but a lighter blade could use a 3/4” thick edge.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

In Utopia

Equipment
L175 FEL
Apr 21, 2013
Utopia,Tx/Pasadena,TX
While you are there you could purchase a stall mat to use. Cut strips and bolt it to the blade.

My barn floor is dirt so I have some I cut in pieces to park the tractor on so the tires would be off the dirt. May be over kill but it also ensures I park in the same place each time and when the wind blows rain under the shelter the tires are just not sitting on wet dirt.
Stall mats are to brittle especially if cut into a strip. They act more like compressed shredded rubber and will break off.

NoJacketRequired

Equipment
B7510 & LA302 FEL & B2782 blower, B7510 & B2781 blower, B2410 & B2550 blower
May 25, 2016
Ottawa, Ontario
I had a rubber blade made to fit my 60" rear scraper. $40.00 Canadian Dollars.

Best regards, Les.
Les - where did you get that rubber blade made? Where are you located in Ontario? (Ottawa area here...)

I have what looks like some form of hard plastic on my box blade. Want to put something similar on a straight blade for use at the airport. Can't seem to find a local source of supply.

Howling

Equipment
BX2370
Feb 5, 2016
Ayer, MA
Les - where did you get that rubber blade made? Where are you located in Ontario? (Ottawa area here...)

I have what looks like some form of hard plastic on my box blade. Want to put something similar on a straight blade for use at the airport. Can't seem to find a local source of supply.
Try asking local machine shops where they buy plastic stock from.

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 L4600, Disk, Brush Hog, GB60 Garden Bedder, GSS72 Grading Scraper
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
Looks like the stall mat is about 40.00, at 4' wide by 6' long you could cut 6" pieces and that would give you 8 pieces to use. That is pretty cheap what about 5 bucks a piece to use over time. I'm sure they will wear out but for a 40 buck investment at one piece a year that is pretty cheap answer to your problem.

rlcotter

Equipment
BX23S Cab;3pt Blade;HLA Snow Pusher;BX Armour;HLA Fork;Ratchet Rake, Snow Edge
Mar 24, 2016
Ontario, Canada
Hi Nojacketrequired.

I had it made at Canada Rubber in Bowmanville Ontario. I live about an hour east of Toronto.

Canada Rubber will make you anything you want. I dropped by their office and they had a sample of what they make for commercial plows, which was way over kill for my application. They just asked me for details of what I wanted, then they had their team draw up schematics of the proposal. I signed off and it was ready a day or two later. I picked it up, but they ship as well.

I spoke with Wayne and he was extremely helpful. Couldn't have been easier.

Let me know if you need anything else.

Les.

CharlieFoxtrot

Equipment
B2650
Dec 8, 2016
Northeast
Stall mats are to brittle especially if cut into a strip. They act more like compressed shredded rubber and will break off.
Not true - I cut a strip off a TSC stall mat about 8 inches high and I am on my third year, still using the same edge. It moves snow just fine and best of all, it acts like a squeegee and removes slush before it can freeze. It is the best and cheapest modification I have made for snow removal.

NoJacketRequired

Equipment
B7510 & LA302 FEL & B2782 blower, B7510 & B2781 blower, B2410 & B2550 blower
May 25, 2016
Ottawa, Ontario
Thanks, Les, for sharing the details of your source of supply - just what I needed!

SRG

Equipment
B8200D 4WD........ JD 870, FWA, 300x FEL.......... JD 797, 72" Z-Trak
Jul 15, 2017
N. IL
Not true - I cut a strip off a TSC stall mat about 8 inches high and I am on my third year, still using the same edge. It moves snow just fine and best of all, it acts like a squeegee and removes slush before it can freeze. It is the best and cheapest modification I have made for snow removal.
Good to know, i'm gonna give this a try this year. How much of that 8" strip do you have left for this season?

What did you cut it with, just a utility knife?

In Utopia

Equipment
L175 FEL
Apr 21, 2013
Utopia,Tx/Pasadena,TX
Didn't work for me.
I tried to use strips on my shredder to keep the rocks from flying.
Two things got them, rocks hitting it and it making contact with the ground.
Guess if your cleaning a cement driveway it's different, so I guess I was trying to compare apples and oranges.