Need a solution for a worn pto splined shaft/female coupler for KUTBOTA L245DT

lsmurphy

Equipment
B7001
Oct 19, 2012
Parrrottsville TN
1. I do not know the two reasons why the splined adaptor failed.

2. From your photo of the shaft it appears to be all one piece all the way through the engine and the splined part is not removable, correct?

3. The splines on the crank are worn to. See attached picture.

So again, you feel the best thing to do is have the part from your diagram made up, right? I'm just confused about why you are posting the links to the part from ebay or seek to find it at a local dealer...

Thanks again. You are a wealth of good information.

Rust gets between the coupler and the stub and acts as an abrasive, over time it wheres away the splines.
Secondly, it is the vibration/imperfect union that has wallowed out the splines, this is where your vibration has shown itself.

I posted pics from ebay to illustrate. Yes, the crank and stub are one.

You can look to salvage to find a pulley that may help you bolt an adapter on. You'll have to measure and research what is available, cross check different engines...etc...

The adapter I posted may have been a step in the right direction if your stub was not destroyed.

lsmurphy

Equipment
B7001
Oct 19, 2012
Parrrottsville TN
Poor man's option #3.

Use a pneumatic die grinder with a grinding disc. Light and small and easy to manage.

With the engine running (using the engine as it's own lathe), start taking off the last 1" worth of the splines of the stub...maybe 1.5".

CAREFULLY to the point where the spines are barely visible. Step down to a 80 grit sanding disc and continue. Measure. The goal is 7/8". Step down to a 120 disc and really clean up the ground down portion of the stub. Use a file to take it down to 7/8 and get it as straight and flat as you can.
Use a dremel to cut the key way for the Lovejoy.

I have done this type of thing before and I know for a fact it can be done.

Take your time.

Will cost you little more than the price of the Lovejoys and time.

Have the balance of your shaft fitted for the other Lovejoy.

Consider.....

Use a piece of radiator hose or hose that is similar to fit over the Lovejoys once they are coupled....as a keeper sleeve.
Find a size that forces you to really have to work to get it on, use dish soap as at lube.
Once the soap dries you'll have to cut the hose section off the get it apart.

Last edited:

t_quinn

Equipment
l245dt
Aug 27, 2012
Duxbury, MA
Better photo of worn shaft. Only half the length is worn, as it appears the coupling was never fully seated on the shaft. Why that is the case is beyond me.

I took it all apart today, readjusted all the allen head set screws on the various couplings and got the worn female coupling to seat all the way onto the shaft where some healthy teeth remain. We'll see if that gives me a few more weeks until I can research the other info you gave me. Should I put grease inside the coupling? I figured that would make it slip, so I just cleaned it out with brake cleaner and left it dry for now.

Check out this similar thread. I think Vic may have provided some info that could be useful to me there about a potential replacement pulley...

Attachments

t_quinn

Equipment
l245dt
Aug 27, 2012
Duxbury, MA
I plan to slam some jb weld into the coupling and advance the female coupling down the shaft so it will bite on the part of the shaft that is still good. (I already put it back that way and got it to work just fine, but after a days worth of plowing the coupling worked its way back down the shaft and started slipping again even though I torqued down all the set screws holding the various couplings to the shaft that runs b/t the pump and the shaft.) I know this is not a permanent solution, but maybe it will get me through the winter until I can cut the sub off and fix a fabricated piece to my pulley. I don't have a garage and its too darn cold to be pulling a tractor apart in my driveway in the dead of winter! On top of the fact that I need it to move firewood and plow with it. I'll let you know how it holds up. I am hopeful it will hold. If not, I'm no worse off than I was when i started. Both shaft and coupling are trash.

I thought about the concern raised about needing some play in the shaft. It appears clear to me that this is the purpose of the double chain sprocket set up, no question about it. So I'm not real worried about damaging the hydraulic pump at all by attempting this fix. I'll let you know...