Making wood pellets

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Yes, it is therm controlled, and auto starts. It's a Harman XXV.
I ran without an ignitor for a couple years. Much better with new ignitor in and working.

The stove has had about 70 tons through it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
They burned. They made heat. Need more.

Well that about pretty well covers it,, so now a visual episode of the rice and wet pellets

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Gosh Frank, looks like they burn great. :)

You might be on to something!!:D

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
http://youtu.be/YBvCk2n1zz0

Last year's soy bean pellets. Flame is more orange compared to last one. Combine stopped for air in a tire, so i cleaned off the pile of chaff on the feeder house and stuffed it through mill. Stink when cooling, but solid pellets. Odourless after they dried.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 13, 2014
Hey Frank how goes the pellet operation?
Ran off a few hundred pounds. Was planning one more test before winter but i have been struggling with my cranked back for the last few weeks.
Been a tough go trying to keep promises fixing vehicles. Its finally tapering off, hoping physio tomorrow will finally get a handle on it.

Next experiment is running mill slow. Slow as i can. Kubota wont cooperate at low rpms, it stalls. Going to fire up the old beast and idle it right down.
I noticed it makes good pellets at low rpms, but kubota powers out and stalls right when things start cooking along nicely, so i rev it up and then it goes out the window.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Just wondering how its going if your did the slowdown thing and how it worked out.. Or has the pellets frozen in to a big pile,,lol

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 13, 2014
Still suffering with my back issue, its all i can do to get through my day's work.
Found a gearbox in the shed i think will do the trick, hoping to get mill around 100 rpms with electric. This way i can plunk away in my shop where its warm and dry.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I hope your back gets well soon my friend I know that pains your putting up with

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 13, 2014
So, decided to spend a little time with pellet mill,added a gearbox and a 2 hp electric motor. Produces pellets slower but quality improved.
I also discovered the feed rate is where i was having issues.moisture that cooks out of pellets rise and steams the material above and tends to snowball.
Feeding slow enough to keep a small amount of chips to press reduces the accumulating moisture.

Building a hopper and 3-1/2" auger feed this week. Will post my results.

Also found a good source for wood chips, a ways away but quality raw materials to work with. Gentleman i met built an insane wood processor.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Well good on you my friend,, hopefully its almost over for this year and you can start on next years product,,,lol

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 13, 2014
Frank, I am mortified! I don't remember meeting with you! :D :D :D
Hes gunning for a 3 second cycle time with a 40" circular carbide blade. Block lands on a trap door and drops square into splitting chamber. Uses one joystick electric control. Almost has bugs out of automating most of the process.

Right now its turned down to run 7 seconds cut and split. Saw is 1/4 of speed capacity. Took a video but he requested i dont share it yet.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 13, 2014
Pellet mill feeder pretty much completed, using a windshield wiper motor and pulse control. Lots of torque and delay should work perfect. I know need to make a video, but shop was tied up on weekend so couldnt crank up mill.
Video will follow soon.