Making wood pellets

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Hello everybody, there has been a couple discussions regarding burning wood pellets, and making wood/biomass pellets.
As im attempting to heat my house/shop with pellets i make while using kubota to power the machines involved.

Skeets has shown some interest, i would like to share my experience through the process. Over the next several weeks im hoping to get things going.
The pellet mill i bought new, direct from across the pond.
Hammer mill 200 internet find, converted to run on pto instead of flat belt.
Wood chipper i got used. Cheap
My first conveyor is a converted treadmill narrowed and lengthened to move pellets away from mill (garbage dump find)
Vibrating screen after mill for separating dust from pellets.
Moisture tester from amazon. 39.00

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
TJ - - I am very interested as well. My 10-year average is getting close to 6 tons/year. (Thanks to last 2 seasons).

As you know, Skeets will tell you about pictures!!:p

How much are you hoping to make, and from what?

I look forward to your project!:cool:

Thanks so much for posting it here!:cool:

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I'm getting the popcorn & beverages ready also!

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 13, 2014
Ok, but remember, most of the process is somewhat redneck inspired. Rounding up the dry material is a challenge this year, as i couldnt get it covered. So will be chipping and grinding first.

Corney

Equipment
L1500DT, front end loader, mower, tiller, snow blower
I hate to say this but you better get at er, winter is not far away! I know where you are and you must need a fair quantity of pellets to keep things from freezing up?

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 13, 2014
3 tons. 1 for house, pellet stove is on thermostat, runs wide open til stat shuts it down. To supplement electric furnace.
2 for shop, runs pretty much continous.

Running a pellet stove is like running a gas engine on choke,ineffecient burn and lots of smoke. Get stove temp up, it burns cleaner and leaves less ash.
Firs year dialed house stove down, running continous at a bag a day. Not much heat. Then added tstat and adjused for hotter burn, 2-1/2 days per bag

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
3 tons. 1 for house, pellet stove is on thermostat, runs wide open til stat shuts it down. To supplement electric furnace.
2 for shop, runs pretty much continous.
Wow - I would have guessed more. I'm not familiar with your area, but you gotta be north of me, which translates to COLD!

I do 5-6 tons for 1,400 sq. ft. house, but have almost eliminated fuel oil. Neighbor does ~8 tons in a big house, but he's off oil, too. Can buy a lot of pellets for the price of 100 gallons of oil (which would last me 20 days without the stove).

I think its funny 1 for house - 2 for the shop!! Hehehe! :p:p

My best wishes for the success of your pellet project!!!

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Until this gets finished, I won't burn any this year.:(

Just routine cleaning, and replacing some of the parts - circuit board, vacuum switch, feed motor.

Of course, I had to break the combustion blower fan when cleaning...another trip to the stove store. :mad::mad:

Harman XXV stove - 10th or 11th season.

Attachments

Corney

Equipment
L1500DT, front end loader, mower, tiller, snow blower
K we talking tons 2000 lbs or metric tonnes at 1000 kgs?

Either way you seem to know how to burn those pellets so I can only assume you know what you want to make them!

Go team !

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 13, 2014
Ton, not tonne.
50-40 lb bags. Last winter was not as cold as many previous ones.
Almost got my grain bin erected, for storing pellets/wood chips.
Was looking into oat hull pellets at $40.00/ton but didnt have a way to store them, not great heat though.
Some hutterite colony was trying canola pellets, $200.00 per ton, but thats a little much in my opinion.
Soy bean chaff, i made a little bit, stink when drying, but makes a nice burning pellet.
Corn burns well on its own, but very hot. Expensive though. Havent tried soybeans yet, but i hear they work too.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Interesting raw material options. A small commercial operation was piloting grass pellets in my area.

All I've heard about corn is high heat, and the sugar in the corn makes clean-up much different than wood products.

bmblank

Equipment
2020 L3901HST, LA525 Loader, 66" Q/A Bucket, PFL2042 Forks, Meteor SB68PT Blower
Mar 4, 2015
Cadillac, MI
Have you been to the forums at Hearth.com? Anything you could want to know about burning wood or pellets is on there. Of course, there are some who overdo everything and you can take everybody's advice with a grain of salt, but that's the place to be for wood burning appliances.