m7040 4=wheel drive

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040 HDC-1,JD 4255,Ford 6700
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
Now, help out the OP with his issue. After all, that is the purpose of this forum.
I thought I was attempting to help OP with his MFWD issue by clarifying operation of the control linkage. Splines must line up for MFWD to engage.

I hope you have a nice day.
Jim

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Teacherjkm,
Whitetiger is right on point, first lube all the pivot points as any bind in it will cause it to not engage properly.
it's a spring loaded engagement, that is to say you pull the lever and a pivot point and spring come into play, this allows the shift collar to slide in when the timing of the gears is correct.

There is no adjustment on the linkage, if you still have issues after lubing it up , check the linkage for bends that are not factory.

GWD,
Please, step back and take a break, your getting hostile and heated for no reason!

Dave_eng, Tx Jim, Whitetiger and I were trying to Clarify for you and Teacherjkm that the system is mechanical and not electrical.

Should have posted this earlier: DT lever

Attachments

Last edited:

CFDWheeler

Aug 26, 2013
Grant Co, Ky
Are you all referring to cab models? My 7040 has no switch nor dash light, just the manual push/pull lever below the seat to the left in the floor.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Are you all referring to cab models? My 7040 has no switch nor dash light, just the manual push/pull lever below the seat to the left in the floor.
On your model there should be a switch that is activated by the linkage and a light on the dash to tell you it's in 4wd.
First check the bulb, then the switch. ;)

CFDWheeler

Aug 26, 2013
Grant Co, Ky
Looking at the parts diagram, I'm sure mine has the switch, but I haven't had the dash light since day one with .2 hours when new. I'll check the bulb when I get home.

Paul5040

Aug 15, 2016
Sour Lake, Texas
Remove linkage 080 from 060 per above diagram. Lube 060 area with penetrating oil and work back and forth with wrench or pliers till free. This has a very small rotation of about 1/4 turn. Mine froze up and was causing the same issue. This fixed it for me.
Hope this helps.