m7040 4=wheel drive

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
It takes a little bit of time for the 4WD in the M7040 to engage (and disengage). Perhaps this delay is what you are experiencing.

What make you think that the lever needs to move a bit more?

Do you have to yank on it for the light on the dash to go on?

Does it not go into 4WD at all?

Answering these questions will help.

I don't know for the 4WD lever, but most of the levers on the M7040 are adjustable by a turnbuckle.

If you can access a parts diagram, like from Messick's or Kubota website, you can see the linkage. Meanwhile, I'll look in my Workshop Manual (WSM) to see if it is addressed. (The WSM is available from eBay on a disk for about $15.)

Edit: Here is the electrical 4WD activation switch. Make sure is functions correctly.

Attachments

Last edited:

teacherjkm

Equipment
m7040
Apr 24, 2016
Carthage, TX
It takes a little bit of time for the 4WD in the M7040 to engage (and disengage). Perhaps this delay is what you are experiencing.

What make you think that the lever needs to move a bit more?

Do you have to yank on it for the light on the dash to go on?

Does it not go into 4WD at all?

Answering these questions will help.

I don't know for the 4WD lever, but most of the levers on the M7040 are adjustable by a turnbuckle.

If you can access a parts diagram, like from Messick's or Kubota website, you can see the linkage. Meanwhile, I'll look in my Workshop Manual (WSM) to see if it is addressed. (The WSM is available from eBay on a disk for about $15.)

When i yank it up sometimes you can feel it go in but most of the time it will not stay engaged, will looked for a turnbuckle, Thanks for the help

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
When i yank it up sometimes you can feel it go in but most of the time it will not stay engaged, will looked for a turnbuckle, Thanks for the help
See my recent edit of post #2.

It appears that the adjustment is made at the electrical switch. The photo and instructions have the setting parameters.

If it is slipping out of 4WD, the switch may be disengaging for some reason. It sound as if the 4WD function is working, just needs to be set so the switch stays engaged.

Hope that is the solution. Oh, and the lever is named "DT lever" if that helps.

Here is the switch again (just click on it to enlarge):

Attachments

teacherjkm

Equipment
m7040
Apr 24, 2016
Carthage, TX
See my recent edit of post #2.

It appears that the adjustment is made at the electrical switch. The photo and instructions have the setting parameters.

If it is slipping out of 4WD, the switch may be disengaging for some reason. It sound as if the 4WD function is working, just needs to be set so the switch stays engaged.

Hope that is the solution. Oh, and the lever is named "DT lever" if that helps.

Here is the switch again (just click on it to enlarge):
thanks i can do that.......... pictures help!

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
I do not think the 4wd electrical switch affects anything other than the green light on the dash.
I believe the actual engagement of 4wd is a mechanical linkage so I would be looking for something that has come loose that is attached to the lever on the floor.
Dave M7040

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
I do not think the 4wd electrical switch affects anything other than the green light on the dash.
I believe the actual engagement of 4wd is a mechanical linkage so I would be looking for something that has come loose that is attached to the lever on the floor.
Dave M7040
Did you get your belief from the WSM?

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
The switch has nothing to do with engagement of Front axle. Spray the pivot down and work lever back and forth. Some times they get a build up and hangup.

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040 HDC-1,JD 4255,Ford 6700
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
I agree with others that state switch doesn't affect engagement/disengagement of MFWD. MFWD light is similar to bright headlamp indicator on vehicle as it just lets operator know if lights are bright or dim(MFWD engaged or disengaged).

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
If you look at the drawling GWD put up it shows a shift fork and collar, then if you look at the drawling D254XX as noted you see the gear set, no clutch pack or solenoid here, just a manually activated gear set, so clearly not switch or electrically operated.

Attachments

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Did you get your belief from the WSM?
Yes I have the WSM!
Look at the inside of the transmission and see the mechanical engagement of the front drive. Also, review the wiring diagram and see there is no connection of the switch you are referring to to anything other than the light on the dash.
It is not complicated.

Dave M7040

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
Yes I have the WSM!
Look at the inside of the transmission and see the mechanical engagement of the front drive. Also, review the wiring diagram and see there is no connection of the switch you are referring to to anything other than the light on the dash.
It is not complicated.

Dave M7040
I don't doubt your observation.

However, it is interesting that the dash light on the M7040 does not synchronize with the pushing or pulling of the lever by the seat. There is often a delay, especially when the 4WD lever is moved to disengaged after using the tractor in the field for a while. The tractor often has to be rocked for the light to go out.

The same thing happens with my two 4WD trucks. They often have to be backed up for the 4WD to fully disengage (from the dash switch). The disengagement can be heard and then the dash light goes out.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012

However, it is interesting that the dash light on the M7040 does not synchronize with the pushing or pulling of the lever by the seat. There is often a delay, especially when the 4WD lever is moved to disengaged after using the tractor in the field for a while. The tractor often has to be rocked for the light to go out.

The same thing happens with my two 4WD trucks. They often have to be backed up for the 4WD to fully disengage (from the dash switch). The disengagement can be heard and then the dash light goes out.
If it was strictly electrically operated a simple switch on the dash would suffice.
When you pull the lever, you are pre loading the shift collar which can only move and engage when the gears line up. The transmission will engage 4wd when the gears finally get into position where they can mesh. Once they can mesh, enough movement occurs to activate the switch. If you pulled the wiring off the switch the 4wd could still be engaged and used.
Dave M7040

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas

Sometimes I also have to shift my floor controlled 4WD '08 GMC 4X4 into reverse to unlock 4WD mechanism. I think the delay in light you speak of is created from the slot allowing for alignment of splines for 4WD engagement or lack of strain on drive components for disengagement outlined in red on the MFWD/light control mechanism.

Attachments

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Can't you see that there is a shift fork and there is a mechanical linkage that engages the 4wd, and that there is not a electrically controlled clutch pack? :confused:

And yes the delay in the signal light is because of the slot that Tx Jim points out.

Last edited:

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
Can't you see that there is a shift fork and there is a mechanical linkage that engages the 4wd, and that there is not a electrically controlled clutch pack? :confused:

And yes the delay in the signal light is because of the slot that Tx Jim points out.
Apparently you missed the post where I showed the parts diagram of the lever and how it works.

Or perhaps you have a different agenda.

I suggest you would better off helping the OP with a solution to his inquiry.

Last edited:

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
Apparently you missed the post where I showed the parts diagram of the lever and how it works.

IMHO posting a photo of MFWD control mechanisms & understanding that there's no electrical control of MFWD is 2 different things. After all you did make this statement after you posted the photo you referred to & I'll quote you.

[/quote]However, it is interesting that the dash light on the M7040 does not synchronize with the pushing or pulling of the lever by the seat. There is often a delay, especially when the 4WD lever is moved to disengaged after using the tractor in the field for a while. The tractor often has to be rocked for the light to go out.[/quote]

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
IMHO posting a photo of MFWD control mechanisms & understanding that there's no electrical control of MFWD is 2 different things. After all you did make this statement after you posted the photo you referred to & I'll quote you.
However, it is interesting that the dash light on the M7040 does not synchronize with the pushing or pulling of the lever by the seat. There is often a delay, especially when the 4WD lever is moved to disengaged after using the tractor in the field for a while. The tractor often has to be rocked for the light to go out.[/quote][/QUOTE]

---------------
Oh, come on. "However" is a precursor to a different topic direction. The above quote is discussing the operation of the light only, not the 4WD. Reading comprehension is apparently a skill not shared by all.

It is telling that you didn't quote "I don't doubt your observation" regarding the mechanical engagement discussion in the same post. What exactly is point of your current post? Don't bother to answer.

If you want to get into a pi$$ing contest, then fine. I don't.

Now, help out the OP with his issue. After all, that is the purpose of this forum.