Lift arms shaft

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Keep in mind that the larger central area of the shaft is sealed pretty tightly against the housing….and when grease is pumped IN…. once the cavities which are supposed to be greased are full of grease…any additional will escape the easiest pathway…. which due to the close fitment of the shaft with it’s housing…. the easiest path is back thru the splines.

The fact that only clean grease is being observed is of no concern….. the clean/fresh grease arrives at an already full cavity…and cannot enter….so exits via the easiest pathway. The indicator that the needed amount of grease is applied….IS the visible escaping excess.

Relax.

Do this every 100 hrs. ;)

Reactions: 1 user

Kevin D

Equipment
L4600DT
Jul 6, 2021
Missouri Ozarks
T

Thank you. I know I’m not the OP but your explanation is much appreciated.
T

Thank you. I know I’m not the OP but your explanation is much appreciated.
I want to thank you Dave and everyone else. I appreciate the time and effort to responding to my post. I have learned a lot from the post. I will assume the arm shifted tighter against the housing (why I see more exposed shaft) and that grease is following the proper path to lube the needed areas, and exiting the path of least resistance. If I'm wrong; I'm sure the tractor will let me know sooner or later. Thanks again

Kevin D

Equipment
L4600DT
Jul 6, 2021
Missouri Ozarks
Keep in mind that the larger central area of the shaft is sealed pretty tightly against the housing….and when grease is pumped IN…. once the cavities which are supposed to be greased are full of grease…any additional will escape the easiest pathway…. which due to the close fitment of the shaft with it’s housing…. the easiest path is back thru the splines.

The fact that only clean grease is being observed is of no concern….. the clean/fresh grease arrives at an already full cavity…and cannot enter….so exits via the easiest pathway. The indicator that the needed amount of grease is applied….IS the visible escaping excess.

Relax.

Do this every 100 hrs. ;)
Thank very much, and that is exactly what I'm going to do.

Kevin D

Equipment
L4600DT
Jul 6, 2021
Missouri Ozarks
I want to thank you Dave and everyone else. I appreciate the time and effort to responding to my post. I have learned a lot from the post. I will assume the arm shifted tighter against the housing (why I see more exposed shaft) and that grease is following the proper path to lube the needed areas, and exiting the path of least resistance. If I'm wrong; I'm sure the tractor will let me know sooner or later. Thanks again
Just a quick follow up. Geohorn and Dave, you guys gave me the correct answer. I was way overthinking the problem. Kabota Dealship told me the the o-rings failed, and they need to pull the rockshaft to put new o-rings. Needless to say that made my day. I hung the phone up, and reread all of the great post and tested the suggestions. What I got out of it is a hammer fixes most problems. "Tap the arm away from the house a fraction and tried applying grease again. It is coming out again between housing and arm as it has since I bought it. You guys all saved me a lot of time and/or money. My first interaction as a member was great!