level of transmission lubrication

jeanot71

Jan 27, 2013
France
hello
sorry for my language i am french

i have a question a the level of transmission lubrication

i have seen this article
http://www.orangetractortalks.com/2009/10/hydraulic-filter-suction-screens-everything-you-wanted-to-know/

but i don't understand the level of the lubrification

with my operato manual i see this

but i dont understand

questions :

when I'm full of oil, it should not exceed this level?
if the oil flows through this hole that means it's too full?

thank you for all confirm this

bosshogg

Equipment
2004 L3400F w/ FEL
Aug 16, 2012
Hartford, SD, USA
hello
sorry for my language i am french

i have a question a the level of transmission lubrication

i have seen this article
http://www.orangetractortalks.com/2009/10/hydraulic-filter-suction-screens-everything-you-wanted-to-know/

but i don't understand the level of the lubrification

with my operato manual i see this

but i dont understand

questions :

when I'm full of oil, it should not exceed this level?
if the oil flows through this hole that means it's too full?

thank you for all confirm this
Add transmission fluid in the fill plug with the lower plug removed. As soon as the fluid begins running out the lower plug it is at the correct level. Tighten both plugs and your done.

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
Shouldn't have to say this but...make sure the tractor is parked on a level surface.

If the plug is put in while a little oil is running out then it will make checking it next time easier. A little oil should run out the next time the plug is removed.

jeanot71

Jan 27, 2013
France
thank you for the answer.

- for front axle, what is the level of oil to? (I have a kubota L1500DT)

- for the aft deck is common with the lift?

thank you

Benhameen

Equipment
2012 Kubota L3800 HST W/FEL and 1963 JD 2010 row crop utility
Jan 27, 2013
Southern IL.
I have slightly different question about the trans/hydro fluid level on a l3800. I was doing a overall check and found that the fluid level wasn't showing in the sight glass. I don't believe I have a leak as I park it on a concrete floor and haven't noticed anything on the floor. It had 18 hrs on it at the time, I know I should have checked this earlier but I gave the dealer the benefit of doubt that everything was done right. I stopped by the dealer and showed him a pic of the sight glass and he said it was definitely low. He gave me a gallon of fluid, it took about half of it. They added the FEL, is that about the amount of fluid that the FEL requires? I'm thinking they didn't add the right amount of fluid when the put the FEL on.

So I have ran the tractor for 18 hrs with it about a half a gallon low on fluid. How much damage have I done to my new toy? I assume this would end up being a problem down the road when my warranty is long gone. Anyone have experience with a problem similar to mine?

bosshogg

Equipment
2004 L3400F w/ FEL
Aug 16, 2012
Hartford, SD, USA
I have slightly different question about the trans/hydro fluid level on a l3800. I was doing a overall check and found that the fluid level wasn't showing in the sight glass. I don't believe I have a leak as I park it on a concrete floor and haven't noticed anything on the floor. It had 18 hrs on it at the time, I know I should have checked this earlier but I gave the dealer the benefit of doubt that everything was done right. I stopped by the dealer and showed him a pic of the sight glass and he said it was definitely low. He gave me a gallon of fluid, it took about half of it. They added the FEL, is that about the amount of fluid that the FEL requires? I'm thinking they didn't add the right amount of fluid when the put the FEL on.

So I have ran the tractor for 18 hrs with it about a half a gallon low on fluid. How much damage have I done to my new toy? I assume this would end up being a problem down the road when my warranty is long gone. Anyone have experience with a problem similar to mine?
No damage whatsoever. Furthermore, when checking retract all cylinders and I drop the 3ph. You could be gallons short of fluid without oing any damage...most that would happen is it wouldn't move or loader wouldn't go all the way up.

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
Agree with bosshogg. The hydraulic reservoir capacity is way larger than necessary to protect against low levels.

Hydraulic fluid is used as a heat sink. That is why there is so much of it. If it is not dark brown or doesn't smell burned then you are fine to just continue to use the tractor without a worry.

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
jeanot,, the rear deck,, I think you mean the rear 3 point lift?? Yes, it uses the same fluid the front end loader uses. The front axles also have a plug that oil ( 90 w gear oil) must come to the edge of the hole where the plug goes in. You may have to pull the wheel off to get to it.

Benhameen

Equipment
2012 Kubota L3800 HST W/FEL and 1963 JD 2010 row crop utility
Jan 27, 2013
Southern IL.
No damage whatsoever. Furthermore, when checking retract all cylinders and I drop the 3ph. You could be gallons short of fluid without oing any damage...most that would happen is it wouldn't move or loader wouldn't go all the way up.
Thank you for the reply. I noticed that the hst isn't as noisy now after adding the 1/2 gallon of fluid. Do all of them whine?

bosshogg

Equipment
2004 L3400F w/ FEL
Aug 16, 2012
Hartford, SD, USA
Thank you for the reply. I noticed that the hst isn't as noisy now after adding the 1/2 gallon of fluid. Do all of them whine?
I have a straight tranny so not sure but I have read numerous posts about hydrostatic trannys whining. Most put in a synthetic fluid when performing maintenance to eliminate or reduce the noise. Since yours is new...I would think it has synthetic or partial synthetic already. Skid steers whine like crazy so I am sure it is normal for that type of drive.