Kubota B1550 HST 4WD D850-5B engine thermometer sensor

jamesrhansen

Equipment
Kubota 1550HST
Jun 11, 2020
PA
Hello all can your tractor work without issues without having the thermometer switch installed. The temp gauge never worked since I own the tractor even after replacing the thermometer switch and thermostat. The water pump and fans operate normally and circulate water.

I am installing a new cylinder head (after market) and the new head did not have the whole drilled for the thermometer switch every other hole and parts locations was correct on the head.

Do you think it would be okay to run without the thermometer sensor ?

Thanks

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Hello all can your tractor work without issues without having the thermometer switch installed. The temp gauge never worked since I own the tractor even after replacing the thermometer switch and thermostat. The water pump and fans operate normally and circulate water.

I am installing a new cylinder head (after market) and the new head did not have the whole drilled for the thermometer switch every other hole and parts locations was correct on the head.

Do you think it would be okay to run without the thermometer sensor ?

Thanks
I would be looking for another location such as in the block or water pump ( if your tractor has one) .

Running without knowing the engine temp seems risky.

See if your tractor has this plug near the thermostat
forum B1550 temp.jpg

Dave

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

jamesrhansen

Equipment
Kubota 1550HST
Jun 11, 2020
PA
I would be looking for another location such as in the block or water pump ( if your tractor has one) .

Running without knowing the engine temp seems risky.

See if your tractor has this plug near the thermostat
View attachment 44224

Dave
Yes it has that plug next to the thermostat I am going to remove it and see if the thermometer switch will fit.

Thanks

jamesrhansen

Equipment
Kubota 1550HST
Jun 11, 2020
PA
Yes it has that plug next to the thermostat I am going to remove it and see if the thermometer switch will fit.

Thanks
I took out the plug screwed in the water thermometer sensor/switch and it fits !!
Awesome thanks for the quick response and your knowledge. I will assemble the rest of it this weekend and see if the temperature gauge works on the dash

Berry

Equipment
B7200HST B2551 Blower Scraper Flail Mower Chipper Log Splitter
Jun 7, 2020
Bancroft Ontario
I took out the plug screwed in the water thermometer sensor/switch and it fits !!
Awesome thanks for the quick response and your knowledge. I will assemble the rest of it this weekend and see if the temperature gauge works on the dash
Good afternoon; I know a long time has past since you installed your temp gauge. I'm looking to do the same on my B7200.
Question 1.Did you use an electrical sender or mechanical.
Question 2. What thread did you use as the plug you removed is a straight thread and British I believe.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Good afternoon; I know a long time has past since you installed your temp gauge. I'm looking to do the same on my B7200.
Question 1.Did you use an electrical sender or mechanical.
Question 2. What thread did you use as the plug you removed is a straight thread and British I believe.
His tractor came with it, it was not an add on.

Your B7200 might or might not have the water flange with the port
If it does have the port, You might need to get a Male BSPP male to NPT adapter.
Try a BSPT fitting first (most universal kits come with that adapter).
Your going to have better luck with electrical than mechanical as the sending unit on mechanical units is a bit bulky!

Berry

Equipment
Jun 7, 2020
Bancroft Ontario

If it does have the port, You might need to get a Male BSPP male to NPT adapter.
Your going to have better luck with electrical than mechanical as the sending unit on mechanical units is a bit bulky!
Thank you Wolfman, my B7200 does have the plug (Canada). You are absolutely right, I am having trouble with the mechanical sender being bulky and looks like I will have to go electric.

On another matter, I was also looking at an oil pressure gauge to be part of a 3 in 1 gauge set. I have been reading that some pressure gauges will only work with a gas engine and not a diesel engine. Can you add any light to this?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I never heard of that, an oil pressure gauge will work with either gas or diesel, they don't care.

Berry

Equipment
Jun 7, 2020
Bancroft Ontario
I never heard of that, an oil pressure gauge will work with either gas or diesel, they don't care.
Ok, this came from a company called Auto Meter. I planned on contacting them on Monday to find out why there's would not work .
What would be the normal or expected working pressure for the oil in a a B7200.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Thank you Wolfman, my B7200 does have the plug (Canada). You are absolutely right, I am having trouble with the mechanical sender being bulky and looks like I will have to go electric.

On another matter, I was also looking at an oil pressure gauge to be part of a 3 in 1 gauge set. I have been reading that some pressure gauges will only work with a gas engine and not a diesel engine. Can you add any light to this?
Only reason I can figure may be the pressure range between the gas and diesel could be different .

I assume that the gas engine would run higher rpm’s and produce a higher pressure than a diesel but not a hundred percent sure about that…

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Ok, this came from a company called Auto Meter. I planned on contacting them on Monday to find out why there's would not work .
10 to 40 psi is quite normal

Berry

Equipment
Jun 7, 2020
Bancroft Ontario
Only reason I can figure may be the pressure range between the gas and diesel could be different .

I assume that the gas engine would run higher rpm’s and produce a higher pressure than a diesel but not a hundred percent sure about that…
Thank you Russel for your thoughts. I am contacting the meter manufacture today and will let you know what I find out. I'm thinking the same thing as Wolfman has told me that 10 to 40 psi is about normal. Maybe there gas engine meters may be the wrong scale.

Berry

Equipment
Jun 7, 2020
Bancroft Ontario
Sorry for this, the gauge manufacture is Equus out of Chicago. I have sent the customer an email and hopefully they can explain for me.

Berry

Equipment
Jun 7, 2020
Bancroft Ontario
Sorry for this, the gauge manufacture is Equus out of Chicago. I have sent the customer an email and hopefully they can explain for me.
I received a reply from Equus gauges and they now say there is no problem using there gauge with diesel engines and they are revising there web site.

Reactions: 1 users

Berry

Equipment
Jun 7, 2020
Bancroft Ontario
Hi Wolfman, I finally received a response from the service department for the Equus gauges and they have confirmed that these gauges will work with both diesel and gas engines. They are making the correction online that said otherwise.

Thanks to Hookie's response on another question from another member, I was able to find all the fittings British and standard as required to complete the job. in the spring.
Thanks again for your help..

Berry

Equipment
Jun 7, 2020
Bancroft Ontario

Hi Wolfman; (B200) finally got around to installing my temperature sensor in the plug on the thermostat housing. I thought I had all the fittings required as my sensor came with a variety of fittings. I have a problem as the BSPP fittings that came with the sensor are all course threads, 14 threads per inch i think. The threads on the plug are much finer, looks like 24 TPI. I have been checking all over the internet with no luck finding one. Can you please confirm the thread for me and do you have any suggestions where I might find one. I am considering drill and tapping the plug for 1/8 NPT. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Are you sure it's 1/8"?
Most of the plugs I've seen in those housings are 1/4"

If it is 1/8"
Simple option 1/8 pipe NPT tap.
Or this fitting:

If it's 1/4"
Again you could do 1/4" pipe NPT tap.
or this fitting:

Sorry been a while since I've dealt with one of those housings, and I don't have one on hand to look at.

1683820156757.png

1683820464656.png

Berry

Equipment
Jun 7, 2020
Bancroft Ontario
Are you sure it's 1/8"?
Most of the plugs I've seen in those housings are 1/4"

If it is 1/8"
Simple option 1/8 pipe NPT tap.
Or this fitting:

If it's 1/4"
Again you could do 1/4" pipe NPT tap.
or this fitting:

Sorry been a while since I've dealt with one of those housings, and I don't have one on hand to look at.

View attachment 102248

View attachment 102250
Sorry for the confusion. The plug threads are a Male BSPP - 3/8 - (24?) x Female 1/8 NPT
For the male threads, I counted the threads over 1/4" (6 threads) - 6x4=24 TIP. If you look at the #6 above that you listed, it is 19 TIP and that I have but it is a course thread compared to the plug in the housing. It is much finer.

Berry

Equipment
Jun 7, 2020
Bancroft Ontario
Sorry for the confusion. The plug threads are a Male BSPP - 3/8 - (24?) x Female 1/8 NPT
For the male threads, I counted the threads over 1/4" (6 threads) - 6x4=24 TIP. If you look at the #6 above that you listed, it is 19 TIP and that I have but it is a course thread compared to the plug in the housing. It is much finer.
The plug part number is 34150 - 36730. I suppose Kubota uldnt identify by drawing?