Is diesel pickup truck synthetic oil proper for our tractors?

dlundblad

Equipment
G5200, L2501, ZD1211
May 16, 2009
IN
Funny thing about all this to me is the ones that yell the most about how a certain product can't, doesn't or wouldn't work are the ones that have never tried it.

Hey, I didn't believe it either until I tried it for myself. Simply put, Amsoil does what it says it will do and more.

It sure would be nice if people would just think about what is being shared, process it and either apply the knowledge or dismiss it instead of argue over a product they've never used. Myself, I'm always interested in learning something new. Especially if it will benefit me or my equipment.
No where did I say Amsoil wasn't a product that didn't function as advertised. It was suggested above that I just agree with your false bogus claims and move on and I tried to do so, but it's hard when you are twisting my words so I apologize.

You said your engine can run cooler and achieve better fuel efficiency.. others agreed and it's all just plain fake news. I realize oil cools and thinner oils create less friction, but to claim you can see an operating temperature difference in something that is liquid cooled by an analog gauge just doesn't set well with me. I have no idea what thermostats open at on various Kubota tractors, but most cars open at around 195*F. No oil is going to help regulate that. A healthy cooling system on the other hand will.

You are not going to see a measurable increase fuel efficiency by using a different oil. This is cold hard fact. Unfortunately, we have CAFE and EPA to help us choose our thinner oils.

Since being open to new things was brought up, I genuinely suggest you do some reading on bobistheoilguy.com. Lots of good knowledgeable guys on that site with all sorts of automotive and machinery background. You will find that Amsoil isn't a bad oil at all (there's even an Amsoil rep on the site), but you'll also find that there's other more than capable alternatives out there as well.

Take care,

hagrid

Lifetime Member

Equipment
K1600GTL, ZX-14R
Jun 11, 2018
Pittsburgh
Are there any tribologists in the house? I need someone to explain hydrodynamic wedge theory because my tiny rodent brain cant wrangle it.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
It was suggested above that I just agree with your false bogus claims and move on and I tried to do so,

You said your engine can run cooler and achieve better fuel efficiency.. others agreed and it's all just plain fake news. I realize oil cools and thinner oils create less friction, but to claim you can see an operating temperature difference in something that is liquid cooled by an analog gauge just doesn't set well with me. No oil is going to help regulate that.

You are not going to see a measurable increase fuel efficiency by using a different oil. This is cold hard fact.

Since being open to new things was brought up, I genuinely suggest you do some reading on bobistheoilguy.com. Lots of good knowledgeable guys on that site with all sorts of automotive and machinery background.
False claims?
Pretty sure I saw it with my own eyes but I am getting old.
It's wonderful to have a expert opinion on a product you never used.

Engine temp.
I guess my gauge and heat gun are wrong. In the case of my F150 it would be factory gauge, Autometer gauge and a heat gun. Glad you can be hundreds of miles away and tell me what my stuff is doing. Thanks for the help.

Fuel economy.
Let see, 40,000 + miles on the truck using Mobil 1 10w30. I'd say I have a good average with that many miles. Change to 10w30 Amsoil and suddenly I average 2 mpg better for the next 80,000 miles. Same truck, brand tires, air pressure, gas station nearly every fill up, job location and driver. Only thing that changed was the oil but, how can that happen?

I must get out more. No way I've read anything about lubricants over the last 30 years. I guess when I see a difference for myself on equipment that I use daily that's just plain wrong as well. Obviously since I don't read or understand basic math I must have looked at my gauges wrong and can't seem to figure fuel economy. I better get busy reading and going over my maintenance records. No telling what I've missed.

Thanks again for sharing your vast knowledge about a product line you don't even use.
Feel free to send a PM if you would like to discuss anything else.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
You know, with all the claims that get said in these oil threads, it's a miracle that over the last 120+ years, any engine was able to run in last. I mean, according to the diehard Amsoil people, there is no way in H*** any engine should have kept running. When I farmed, we bought 15w-40 motor oil and hydraulic oil delivered by a bulk truck into our 275 gallon oil tanks. Ran both in a fleet of 12 tractors, 5 payloads, 1 bulldozer, 1 backhoe, 8 ten wheelers, 3 six wheelers, and a few pickups. Many of the trucks had 200-350 thousand miles on them. We ran tractors up to 15-20,000 hours, when I got out one of payloader was 30,0000 hours and counting. The only motor job we ever did was on a Mack dump truck that got a healthy does of gasoline in it when the bulk fuel driver screwed up and put gas into the on road fuel tank and we didn't catch in time and it melted a piston. To say your oil is the absolute best is to make claims that may or may not be true. To say that based on your experience is only good if you did identical research running 2 machines of same model and age side by side. There is too many variables that can change to say that just because you changed to a different oil you saw all these improvements. Not saying it can't happen, but unless you thoroughly research it, and spend time researching what improvements in other products have been made, then it is just another oil pi**ing war. All companies spend a lot of time on research and make improvements on the fly as research dictates.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
To say your oil is the absolute best is to make claims that may or may not be true. To say that based on your experience is only good if you did identical research running 2 machines of same model and age side by side. There is too many variables that can change to say that just because you changed to a different oil you saw all these improvements.
I never said it was the best. Best I've tried maybe but there's a big difference between those statements.

I get what you're saying about 2 machines side by side. That would be great for long term testing for sure. That's not what I've been talking about so it really doesn't apply here.
In the same since when you change anything on a known product whether it be a engine in a truck, a gearbox, rear end or anything else and see a noticeable and consistent improvement in performance is it better or a fluke? I say it's better.

I just watched a episode of Street Outlaws where murder nova was having issues. They changed ten things at once without testing hoping it would be fixed. If it's fixed, what part was failing? Maybe even the combination of 2 parts. Who knows, they sure didn't. At the most it could be a educated guess but no proof either way.

This is not the case with my truck. One thing was changed and there was a improvement in performance. I don't see where the confusion is because it's very simple to me.
I'd hate to see what it would be like if someone was trying to sell you guys a product if y'all argue this much about my personal experience.

What does the poor waitress go thru when she ask if you want cheese on your burger or onions and mushrooms on your steak. Do you argue about how the onions would alter the way your steak will taste or do you simply tell her no? Can you even handle the dreaded "do you want ketchup with you fries"?

I think a few out there could really use a Xanax.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
I never said it was the best. Best I've tried maybe but there's a big difference between those statements.

I get what you're saying about 2 machines side by side. That would be great for long term testing for sure. That's not what I've been talking about so it really doesn't apply here.
In the same since when you change anything on a known product whether it be a engine in a truck, a gearbox, rear end or anything else and see a noticeable and consistent improvement in performance is it better or a fluke? I say it's better.

I just watched a episode of Street Outlaws where murder nova was having issues. They changed ten things at once without testing hoping it would be fixed. If it's fixed, what part was failing? Maybe even the combination of 2 parts. Who knows, they sure didn't. At the most it could be a educated guess but no proof either way.

This is not the case with my truck. One thing was changed and there was a improvement in performance. I don't see where the confusion is because it's very simple to me.
I'd hate to see what it would be like if someone was trying to sell you guys a product if y'all argue this much about my personal experience.

What does the poor waitress go thru when she ask if you want cheese on your burger or onions and mushrooms on your steak. Do you argue about how the onions would alter the way your steak will taste or do you simply tell her no? Can you even handle the dreaded "do you want ketchup with you fries"?

I think a few out there could really use a Xanax.
Bulldog, you are the one that is always trying to ram Amsoil down everyone***8217;s throat and get upset when people say something bad about it. I***8217;m sure it***8217;s a good product but to pay $31.95 a gallon plus shipping or their mandatory $20 membership fee to get free shipping is hard to justify for most members that put enough hours to change oil once a year.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Bulldog, you are the one that is always trying to ram Amsoil down everyone***8217;s throat and get upset when people say something bad about it. I***8217;m sure it***8217;s a good product but to pay $31.95 a gallon plus shipping or their mandatory $20 membership fee to get free shipping is hard to justify for most members that put enough hours to change oil once a year.
Bap, ramming it down your throat would only be true if I was trying to sell it to you. Big difference in selling and sharing.

Say anything you want about Amsoil if you have something to back it up with. I get upset when a person that has never used a product tell me how it won't work. If you don't understand something maybe you should keep your mouth shut and your ears open. Best way to learn from my experience.

You don't like the price or membership fee, that fine. But last time I looked T6 was almost $30 a gallon and you have to drive to get it. None of that is free but I guess that's different though.

I can remember back in the day OTT was all about helping each other out. Now it's some trying to help and a few standing in the back ground yelling I never tried it but no way it'll work. What a joke :)

hagrid

Lifetime Member

Equipment
K1600GTL, ZX-14R
Jun 11, 2018
Pittsburgh
Enough bickering.

I'm buying Amelie products as of now because of this thread. If that doesnt produce results then I'll buy Swepco.