Is diesel pickup truck synthetic oil proper for our tractors?

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
I stopped in a national auto parts store last weekend to pick up some oil just to have on hand. Asked the fellow behind the counter where the oil was for diesel engines.
He said, all oil is the same, oil is oil, just use regular 10w30.

I left
Gotta love parts people lol,plenty of good ones out there,and even more keyboard peckers,I gotta deal with it everyday

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
When you talk about the T6 "not coming close", in what way do you mean?

I have read that T6 is a very robust oil, and I know Amsoil is good as well. But what factors or data are you using to determine one is "better" than the other?
The engine is not as smooth with T6.
Makes more noise.
Doesn't run as cool.
Burns more fuel.
And any engine with Rotella just plain stinks, blow by that is.

Not trying to really cut Rotella down because it does have millions of miles under it's belt. But I have done side by side comparisons and Amsoil will win every time. Don't take my word for it, try it for yourself.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Makes more noise.
Doesn't run as cool.
Burns more fuel.

Not trying to really cut Rotella down because it does have millions of miles under it's belt. But I have done side by side comparisons and Amsoil will win every time. Don't take my word for it, try it for yourself.
That is just your opinion. I have used it in many engines and have never experienced any of those problems except in an engine that already had those problems to begin with. Most of time, people try to use Magic Elixirs to cure pre-existing problems in a motor. Any quality synthetic motor oil will do a good job no matter the brand.

Last edited:

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Any quality synthetic motor oil will do a good job no matter the brand.
I'll respectfully have to disagree.

They're not all equal. When I can change from T6 to Amsoil, gain mpg and have a smoother running engine it's got to be a better product.

Plenty of test that will show results for both sides. My test is real world from my own experience. I don't expect you to believe me though. I want you to try it for yourself so you can see the difference. I wasn't born a Amsoil fan. I tried there products one by one and when they were better than what I was using I made the switch.

troverman

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC; 2020 Kubota Z421KW-54 zero turn mower
Jun 9, 2015
NH
I'll respectfully have to disagree.

They're not all equal. When I can change from T6 to Amsoil, gain mpg and have a smoother running engine it's got to be a better product.

Plenty of test that will show results for both sides. My test is real world from my own experience. I don't expect you to believe me though. I want you to try it for yourself so you can see the difference. I wasn't born a Amsoil fan. I tried there products one by one and when they were better than what I was using I made the switch.
How are you getting better "mpg" on your tractor?:D

Rotella T6 is pretty much the gold standard. I'm sure Amsoil is fine. I agree with BAP here, although I'd go a step further and say that Kubota (and most diesel pickup manufacturers) are not requiring synthetic at all. I'm pretty dubious of your claims. If two oils are the same weight grade and both are synthetic and meet the same SAE standards, why would one have "more blow-by" than another? Why would one make an engine "noisier and less smooth" than another?

I've had four Ford 6.7L diesels. I've run regular Motorcraft dino oil in them and also Rotella T6. I see utterly zero difference in performance, fuel economy, oil consumption, or engine smoothness. In my three Kubota tractors, I've run Delvac and Kubota-brand oil. Again, zero difference. I'm not doubting you, but I also think it is very hard for an individual to notice differences between quality oils since they are usually minute.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Im gonna chime in here ......imagine that !:D:)

When you talk about "top shelf" stuff.....that's stuff that has been treated to the highest degree of workmanship......

some of us like "top shelf" alcohol ....and dont mind paying high dollar for it, some say that it is smoother and blah blah .......

Oil is similar to that stuff, some oils have more research done on them, and by doing more R&D, more things are "worked" on - thus, cost is up for that product and it is considered a "better" product.

I have run Mobil 1 ...for 35+ years.....never a problem, love the stuff, can walk up wally worlds shelf and get me some....sometimes on sale for $23 a 5 quart container....now - is this stuff "bettter" than Pennzoil ? ....not sure.....not ever sure at all! But the Mobil 1 does what it says ...I "trust" it to do the job and it has!

Moving on --- Amsoil, this is by far the gold standard when it comes to OIL, I dont give a shyte what you compare to it ....the Royal Purple the Mobil 1 the anything else ....AMSOIL IS better - period. And it cost more too!!!!

Amsoil does more research and more R&D than the others, and they have been doing it longer too - their stuff is that good. Now - are you going to see a difference? I bet not, is your oil going to last longer?, yes - perhaps a bit longer than you might think.

Here are two true God's gospel true stories......

Kubota BX25D - took stock hydraulic oil out, and replaced with S-UDT2, unbelievable difference........that was simply going from a non synthetic to a synthetic oil. Audible and functional difference.

2017 Subaru, stock oil, ran for 5k, changed to Mobil 1, at 12k changed again, and at 18k changed to Amsoil....... all the same oil eh???? Ok - here comes the weird stuff......engine sounded a little more quite - I know, I am getting old and cant hear, seriously - it sounded "smoother"...... I was getting on average 37.5 mpg when going to lake and back.....non 38.5 ....huge difference??? Perhaps not, but I can hear and see a small amount of change - so my pointed head rational is that something is going on differently.....

Draw your own conclusions - however, until you "try" it - and by whatever "it" is .....dont mock it!!!! Hell I remember a day when I would not eat quash .......love that stuff now!!!:D:p

Reactions: 1 user

troverman

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC; 2020 Kubota Z421KW-54 zero turn mower
Jun 9, 2015
NH
So many guys on the diesel pickup forums that claim adding this additive or that additive make their engine quieter or give them better fuel economy. "Use Archoil," or "Use PM22" or PowerService whatever. I've tried them all...never seen a lick of difference. Sometimes people just want what they've spent their money on to work.

When I say Rotella T6 is the gold standard, I mean that it is probably the most popular diesel oil in use today. Amsoil is used by less people.

I've used it before myself in my snowmobile and noticed zero difference.

mattwithcats

Jun 17, 2017
Virginia
So let’s do the math...

Amsoil, $12.50 a quart, $50 a gallon, $125 for 2.5 gallons...

I need 24 quarts, 6 gallons, around $300 for an oil change...

Rotella T6, on sale, 2 gallons, with free hat, $20, less $14 rebate, limit 4 rebates...
$6 for two gallons, $18 for my trucks oil change...

Hmmmm...

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
So let’s do the math...

Amsoil, $12.50 a quart, $50 a gallon, $125 for 2.5 gallons...

I need 24 quarts, 6 gallons, around $300 for an oil change...

Rotella T6, on sale, 2 gallons, with free hat, $20, less $14 rebate, limit 4 rebates...
$6 for two gallons, $18 for my trucks oil change...

Hmmmm...
Matt,

you prices are a bit high - but I understand your point!!!

Amsoil is about $8 qt ......... and a gallon about $30 ish, so yes it is more expensive than the $25 T6...... Dealer pricing is a bit lower than the internet price .

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
How are you getting better "mpg" on your tractor?:D

Rotella T6 is pretty much the gold standard. I'm sure Amsoil is fine. I agree with BAP here, although I'd go a step further and say that Kubota (and most diesel pickup manufacturers) are not requiring synthetic at all. I'm pretty dubious of your claims. If two oils are the same weight grade and both are synthetic and meet the same SAE standards, why would one have "more blow-by" than another? Why would one make an engine "noisier and less smooth" than another?

I've had four Ford 6.7L diesels. I've run regular Motorcraft dino oil in them and also Rotella T6. I see utterly zero difference in performance, fuel economy, oil consumption, or engine smoothness. In my three Kubota tractors, I've run Delvac and Kubota-brand oil. Again, zero difference. I'm not doubting you, but I also think it is very hard for an individual to notice differences between quality oils since they are usually minute.
The mpg obviously was in my trucks but the tractors burn less fuel with Amsoil.

The blow-by was simply about the smell, not the amount. Rotella just plain stinks.

I have no doubt you're not seeing any difference between Motorcraft and T6. Kind of my point, Rotella doesn't gain anything over regular oil. You have helped me prove my point with that statement.

Rotella T6 and gold standard is definitely a stretch. Brown standard maybe. Amsoil says first in synthetics for a reason. They had a 25K oil on the market in 1972. They set the standard that everyone else is chasing after. Mobil 1 advertises a annual oil like it's the latest and greatest. Only 40+ years behind the original, not bad I guess.

Like I said before. I was not born into a Amsoil family. I was completely happy with my dino oil and had no desire to switch. A friend gave me my first change of Amsoil and said if I couldn't tell a difference it was free of charge. I gained 2 mpg in my truck with just engine oil. That got me curious so I tried other products. Every time I tried it in a different application I could see some kind of advantage.
I didn't just say screw it and claim Amsoil is the best. I had to see the difference for myself. If I had a better product I would be glad to tell you but as of right now nothing I've tried beats Amsoil.

To be honest I wish someone could point me to a cheaper product that performs as good. I spend a lot of money on lubricants to protect my equipment but this is the perfect example of you get what you pay for. :D

And remember, I'm not trying to sell you anything. I'm simply sharing what I have experienced, it's up to you to take the same chance I did and try it for yourself.

dggott

Equipment
bx2200
Jul 14, 2018
Tipton IA
Im gonna chime in here ......imagine that !:D:)

When you talk about "top shelf" stuff.....that's stuff that has been treated to the highest degree of workmanship......

some of us like "top shelf" alcohol ....and dont mind paying high dollar for it, some say that it is smoother and blah blah .......

Oil is similar to that stuff, some oils have more research done on them, and by doing more R&D, more things are "worked" on - thus, cost is up for that product and it is considered a "better" product.

I have run Mobil 1 ...for 35+ years.....never a problem, love the stuff, can walk up wally worlds shelf and get me some....sometimes on sale for $23 a 5 quart container....now - is this stuff "bettter" than Pennzoil ? ....not sure.....not ever sure at all! But the Mobil 1 does what it says ...I "trust" it to do the job and it has!

Moving on --- Amsoil, this is by far the gold standard when it comes to OIL, I dont give a shyte what you compare to it ....the Royal Purple the Mobil 1 the anything else ....AMSOIL IS better - period. And it cost more too!!!!

Amsoil does more research and more R&D than the others, and they have been doing it longer too - their stuff is that good. Now - are you going to see a difference? I bet not, is your oil going to last longer?, yes - perhaps a bit longer than you might think.

Here are two true God's gospel true stories......

Kubota BX25D - took stock hydraulic oil out, and replaced with S-UDT2, unbelievable difference........that was simply going from a non synthetic to a synthetic oil. Audible and functional difference.

2017 Subaru, stock oil, ran for 5k, changed to Mobil 1, at 12k changed again, and at 18k changed to Amsoil....... all the same oil eh???? Ok - here comes the weird stuff......engine sounded a little more quite - I know, I am getting old and cant hear, seriously - it sounded "smoother"...... I was getting on average 37.5 mpg when going to lake and back.....non 38.5 ....huge difference??? Perhaps not, but I can hear and see a small amount of change - so my pointed head rational is that something is going on differently.....

Draw your own conclusions - however, until you "try" it - and by whatever "it" is .....dont mock it!!!! Hell I remember a day when I would not eat quash .......love that stuff now!!!:D:p
85Hokie-

What were the audible and performance differences with the hydraulic oil?

dlundblad

Equipment
G5200, L2501, ZD1211
May 16, 2009
IN
Makes more noise.
Doesn't run as cool.
Burns more fuel.

Fuel consumption goes up as well as operating temperature because of an oil?

This doesn't make sense and is likely a placebo effect.

dlundblad

Equipment
G5200, L2501, ZD1211
May 16, 2009
IN
I have an MX5800. When I did the 50 hour service myself, I just bought Kubota oil from the dealer. I'm at 200 now, and would like to use synthetic oil, but I'm wondering if I can use Mobil 1 full synthetic for diesel pickup trucks? Is it still the correct type of oil?

Also, I like to use Lucas fuel system treatment in my vehicles. It says it is safe for gas and diesel engines. Would it be OK to add some of it to my fuel system periodically?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
I've been using 5w40 for years.. even in the stuff requiring 10w30.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
Unfortunately the rule of "the more you spend, the better you feel, the better the perceived quality" applies to oil. If you use the manufacturers recommend oil grades at the recommended service intervals then they will all work out for you.

I have yet to see ANY OEM recommend adding magic foo foo dust a.k.a. Lucasoil or Royal Purple and in fact all OEM literature I've seen recommends AGAINST using those additives.

In reality fuel economy varies between refills depending on weather, usage, blah blah blah and your perceived quietness is subjective.

As other posters have mentioned follow the manual and you will be fine. If hocus pocus makes you feel good then it's your money and get off the podium and stop flogging the snake oil for the shysters.

Last edited:

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Wow.....I kinda figured this thread would go this way.....4 pages about oil....

Maybe we need Forum Sections just for:

*Oil Type/Brand
*Hydraulic Fluid Type/Brand
*And let's not forget.....50 Hour Service....what should I do??

That way, you guys can all go there and expound to each other about how much smarter you are than the next guy.

Don't get me wrong, we are all pretty passionate about operating/maintaining our tractors; it's what makes this a great forum.

But if I choose to put $10 or $50 oil in my tractor, what do you care??? It's MY tractor, right??

I have used dino and synthetic oils...I've talked to Bulldog about Amsoil products on multiple occasions. I respect his opinion and experience. He wasn't trying to sell me anything, I and may use Amsoil one day. I have certain fuel additives I prefer, but there are some that are often recommended here, and I may try them someday in MY tractor. Same goes for HF, filters, etc. I use what I want in MY tractor.

We all have our opinions, preferences, and want to be helpful. Just because I use Brand X Synthetic in 5w-40, doesn't make YOUR choice wrong if you use Brand Y Dino in 15w-40. The important part is that it's diesel certified, and it gets changed regularly. After that....use what YOU like, even if it's Snake Oil!

When the day is done, it's still MY tractor.....

Last edited:

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
How about another passionate discussion? Ever use a Frantz filter?

No, but it can’t be right....[emoji12]

Hope you’re keeping head and everything else above water?

Looks like it’s been a challenge in your neck of the woods....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Donuts... What are the best kind?
Debate begin!

Last edited: