Help please

brunswick000

Equipment
Kubota L245DT
Feb 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Ok I know ive been posting a lot on this forum since I found it. I hope im not bothering anyone by again starting yet another thread, but I need some real help here. My last thread was in regards to what was found to be a clutch issue. Thanks again to everyone who helped with that diagnosis. Now it would seem ive got a whole other can of worms here. Please excuse the drawn out story.

I got the tractor (my first tractor) a little over a week ago. When I picked it up I thought I had educated myself enough to hopefully identify any real obvious issues. I was impressed at how clean the tractor was......they must have cleaned it for my, or rather, their benefit. Under the hood was pretty clean without much sign of any red flags. The tractor seemed to function properly and the sale was completed. Shortly after getting it home it got stuck in reverse. I had it repaired and the shifting forks were well worn, as you might expect following 30 years of shifting from reverse to first. No harm, no foul. Adjusted the clutch, slipping issue seems to have been addressed.

Now for the "new problems". After addressing the clutch, and using the tractor for some time last evening pushing back snow banks i put it to rest for the night, went to work today, and like any new owner would do I went to check on her after returning from a long day at work. Here are the issues ive found. I took these photos with my cell phone, so if they need to be better ill post back on Thursday when im off work during the day, and can use my DSLR.

Take a look at the oil splashed on the front of the cab here

[/IMG]

Now take a look toward the front of the motor around the speed control plate adjacent to the injection pump. Also notice the odd spring for the decompression cable wrapped around the air cleaner tube. I would have to assume that ill have to completely clean the area and then inspect for the source of the oil.

[/IMG]

Take a closer look at the oil here

[/IMG]

Any thoughts on this? Im leaking oil from some where. Im going to stop using the tractor altogether until I get this stuff sorted out. And shamefully I have not yet swapped out all the fluids. Although that may be a good thing as I likely would have had to drain them all again to fix whatever this issue is.

Now for some help just identifying some stuff. What is this lever for?

[/IMG]

I traced the lines back to this block on top of the transmission on the left of the pic. And also, what is other block on the left hand side of the tranny (right side of pic) under the seat that the hard line from the first block leads too?

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Any help is sincerely appreciated. Oh, and one other thing. I seem to be leaking fluid around the axle on the left hand side at the rear wheel. Couldn't get a clear pic with the phone and low light. Im guessing its a bad seal? Its closer to the wheel, and doesn't seem to be coming from around the final drive casing. I guess a positive is that the gear oil appears to be pretty clean.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

brunswick000

Equipment
Kubota L245DT
Feb 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
I can see that the pics are pretty small. Im not sure how to get them bigger. Guess ill go read the "how to post pics" sticky.

Well I created a photobucket acc and tried 3 times to get the pics sized appropriately. I left them a bit big so everyone can see the details more clearly.

Last edited:

brunswick000

Equipment
Kubota L245DT
Feb 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Cant believe after all that writing I forgot to put the tractor model. Its an L245DT. I think you may be right about the cylinder head gasket. Sounds like a pain in the a$$ to change. If this repair list continues to grow the tractor will be brand new.

bruceatlam

Equipment
B20, FEL, box blade, flail mower
Aug 20, 2009
Camarillo, California
The lever operates a hydraulic valve --- the inlet and outlet ports are plugged in the picture.

I would suggest that you use the tractor for a while and keep track of what's happening before you get too excited. First of all, you expect too much if you expect it to be leak free. Go ahead and change the fluids --- you may find something in the process --- loose plug???

Find a nice big piece of clean cardboard to park on and then see if you have any drips?? Gravity is 100% reliable so look up from the drip and then see what you can see --- the fan can blow fluids back so you may have to do a little detective work but keep looking.

Keep wiping things down and you'll find the leak -------- learn more before you start planning to change a head gasket. I think we mean valve cover gasket and not head gasket here by the way.

meanjean

Equipment
Kubota MX4700
Aug 10, 2010
Hazelridge, Manitoba
Don't lie under your tractor with your mouth open...

I replaced my head gasket this past Summer.
Service Dept. Vic sold it to me for about $60.
Took about an hour to do with a buddy helping.
Really not that bad.

Good advise re: wipe and watch.

RDR

Equipment
M5400,B6100E,K008,L175,TG1860Diesel,JD355D,3)Leyland 154D's,YM2000,IH1466
Oct 13, 2009
Danevang, Tx.
I would spray it with brake clean and wipe it down. My 245DT leaked a little around the shaft for the throttle control lever. That would be the arm with the rod and spring that is directly under the clamp for the hose going to the air cleaner. With the fan blowing it can spread a small leak all over the place. I wouldn't get too excited about it. (yet) Take your time and diagnose the problem correctly. I have seen people be really of base, like replacing a camshaft when it was a bad intake valve. Also saw someone tear a Kubota engine down when it was an external fuel problem. Keep the oil level in the operating range and keep wiping it down until you know where the leak is for sure. Good luck.

brunswick000

Equipment
Kubota L245DT
Feb 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
I can't help but get a bit excited about potential problems. I know the age of the tractor and expecting it to run like it did the day it was made is unrealistic. These machines hold their value so well, so Ive got a few grand into a machine that needs fixin. I knew that would happen, but when I heard "clutch" replacement, and "head gasket" I couldn't help but panic a bit. Ive managed to calm myself down now and ill take all of your advice, most especially the "don't lie under your tractor with you mouth open". Supposed to get about 25cm of snow tomorrow so ill have to use it. Ill make sure the oil, coolant etc is topped up as I still am not in a position of time to be able to change all the fluids. At least I changed the air filter so it can breath a bit better. Thanks a lot for all the suggestions, and therapy.

brunswick000

Equipment
Kubota L245DT
Feb 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Oh don't worry ill be changing all the fluids. Im just completely tapped for $$ after buying the tractor, until next week. Unfortunately its going to snow a bunch tomorrow so ill have to use it irregardless. Im sure it will be fine for a half hours work.

In regards to the control lever in the above pics, does anyone have any idea what it might have been used for? The lever only has a front to back motion.

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
Why not take your photos first to a photo editing program and brighten them up? Generally even very dark ones can be made much more usable that way. I have difficulty seeing anything as now pesented.

bruceatlam

Equipment
B20, FEL, box blade, flail mower
Aug 20, 2009
Camarillo, California
Oh don't worry ill be changing all the fluids. Im just completely tapped for $$ after buying the tractor, until next week. Unfortunately its going to snow a bunch tomorrow so ill have to use it irregardless. Im sure it will be fine for a half hours work.

In regards to the control lever in the above pics, does anyone have any idea what it might have been used for? The lever only has a front to back motion.
May have been a log splitter??? Don't know ---- one cylinder in and out whatever it was??

brunswick000

Equipment
Kubota L245DT
Feb 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Another question that is unrelated. When the tractor is idling if I dont keep on the excelerator it will stall. Is this normal, or should it continue to idle? If the latter then how do I adjust the idle speed?

meanjean

Equipment
Kubota MX4700
Aug 10, 2010
Hazelridge, Manitoba
Press the pedal and take note of what moves under the hood.
Should lead to the throttle body.
Look for a small screw, adjusting this will bring your revs up.

Not sure if your model works like this.

MagKarl

Equipment
L245DT
Aug 2, 2010
Olympia, WA
Do you have a set of manuals for this tractor yet? If you want to maintain it yourself that's going to be pretty important. I have not found the info for free on the internet anywhere, Kubota seems to be the only source for manuals and parts for the most part. I have the same model tractor and found owners, parts, and service manuals at Messicks. Not cheap by any means, but worth it for sure. I'll take a look at mine later and try to give you a description if that helps.

brunswick000

Equipment
Kubota L245DT
Feb 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Do you have a set of manuals for this tractor yet? If you want to maintain it yourself that's going to be pretty important. I have not found the info for free on the internet anywhere, Kubota seems to be the only source for manuals and parts for the most part. I have the same model tractor and found owners, parts, and service manuals at Messicks. Not cheap by any means, but worth it for sure. I'll take a look at mine later and try to give you a description if that helps.
I now have all the manuals. Just found the owners service manual. It says to turn the adjustment screw to achieve a slow idle speed of around 800-850 rpms. I dont know how to tell when you've gotten to that. Also, is that screw supposed to contact the speed control lever? Mine does not....at all. Think I need to adjust theaccelerator pedal/lever as there is some play, especially in the lever. I can pull it down a quater of the way before it begins to catch for acceleration.

meanjean

Equipment
Kubota MX4700
Aug 10, 2010
Hazelridge, Manitoba
Have you not got an RPM gauge?
If not then you will need to play it by ear.
Turn the screw until the tractor holds a nice idle.

My lever does not bring the idle up for about an 1/8 of a pull.
I wouldn't be too concerned about the play.
Increases when you pull it, decreases when pushed in.
It works.

brunswick000

Equipment
Kubota L245DT
Feb 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Ok so after being away for the last two weeks I finally got to trying to figure out where the leak is coming from. Cleaned it all up with brake cleaner and used it a bit and found two places, the first:

Appears to be coming from around either the injection pump or the speed control plate. Must be bad gasket, or gaskets as the parts manual says that there are 3? Also would there even be oil from this spot or would it be fuel? And if its fuel, its black which im assuming is bad.

The other place appears to be at the oil tank itself

Probably a pain in the but to drop it? I see the front driveshaft seems to run through a grove in it on the outside.

Uggghhhh. One other problem it Have trouble starting it. Used it yesterday lightly and first few starts were no prob. Tried to get her back into the garage and almost seemed to drain my new battery. Needless to say its still sitting in the field.

I want this thing to work top notch and its warmer here now so I can work on it without difficulty. Any one have some guidance for me?

Any help is apprecitated.

Last edited:

brunswick000

Equipment
Kubota L245DT
Feb 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Gotta just dig in and go for it......here's a link to a bunch of pictures I took of a 295 3cyl diesel I rebuilt....looks almost exactly like yours. Should be good for referance of what your looking at there.

I miss that tractor project!

http://s1095.photobucket.com/albums/i475/67chevtruck4sale/Kubota L295DT/
Nice set of pics there. Im thinking rather than try to "patch work" this little diesel I might just go ahead and rebuild it. This tractor has turned into a real money pit for me. It would also be my first complete rebuild so im pretty nervous about it. I see rebuild kits are in the range of $1000 on on the net. Does that sound like an accurate estimate? Not the kind of money I have laying around :(

To top it all off Im sure the alternator is shot. Its got a brand spanking new battery in it and yesterday I had to boost it every time to get it going. Might be able to have that rebuilt locally for less than a new unit though.

Time to start making some calls I guess.