GR2120 snowblower making a grinding noise when engaged

T0pper3

Equipment
2120 Tractor,54in mower, snow blower.
Aug 30, 2018
Girard,Pa
As my title states I am having some kind of grinding noise issue when I engage the auger. The internal auger that blows the snow looks to be getting gouged from something but can't seem to figure out what's causing it.
I had to replace a shear pin today but can't imagine that being the cause. Any ideas or maybe someone else has run into this I would be grateful for your help.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
As my title states I am having some kind of grinding noise issue when I engage the auger. The internal auger that blows the snow looks to be getting gouged from something but can't seem to figure out what's causing it.
I had to replace a shear pin today but can't imagine that being the cause. Any ideas or maybe someone else has run into this I would be grateful for your help.
To be clear when you say "internal auger," could you be meaning the fan which throws the snow out the chute?

There are two different shear bolts on your style of blower. One for each half of the auger and one for the fan. Which one failed?

Posting a couple of photos might help someone see what you are hearing.

Dave

loggin

Equipment
MX4700
Sep 4, 2021
canada
From what I understand I think you mean the rotor that throws the snow up the chute is gouging into the surround.?? If that is the case you have likely bent the shaft somehow. Considering you had to replace a shear pin also indicates that you might have sucked something into the blower to cause an issue. Without more information it is hard to diagnose. Pictures would certainly help!!

T0pper3

Equipment
Aug 30, 2018
Girard,Pa
To be clear when you say "internal auger," could you be meaning the fan which throws the snow out the chute?

There are two different shear bolts on your style of blower. One for each half of the auger and one for the fan. Which one failed?

Posting a couple of photos might help someone see what you are hearing.

Dave
Yes I was referring to the fan. It was that shear that connects the two together. Could it be possible that when the shear pin broke, it allowed the fan to work forward to the point it made contact with the outer auger? One of my biggest problems is that I have very little hearing which makes it difficult to pinpoint when these things happen.

T0pper3

Equipment
Aug 30, 2018
Girard,Pa
From what I understand I think you mean the rotor that throws the snow up the chute is gouging into the surround.?? If that is the case you have likely bent the shaft somehow. Considering you had to replace a shear pin also indicates that you might have sucked something into the blower to cause an issue. Without more information it is hard to diagnose. Pictures would certainly help!!
I will try and post a few picture as soon as I can.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
We need to clarify which bolt sheared.

From the position of your fan, I cannot be certain but if you study this photo you should recognize if your setup is this style.

Shear bolt new style.jpg

Do you have the bolts identified by the purple and the green arrow?

The green bolt goes through the round shaft.
The purple bolt goes through the flange and is parallel to and beside the round shaft.

If yes, which one sheared?

Dave

T0pper3

Equipment
Aug 30, 2018
Girard,Pa
We need to clarify which bolt sheared.

From the position of your fan, I cannot be certain but if you study this photo you should recognize if your setup is this style.

View attachment 73627

Do you have the bolts identified by the purple and the green arrow?

The green bolt goes through the round shaft.
The purple bolt goes through the flange and is parallel to and beside the round shaft.

If yes, which one sheared?

Dave
Dave, the bolt that sheared would be the "Purple" one.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I can see where it is rubbing between 9 and 12 o'clock in the picture that you posted. Something is clearly out of alignment since there is no paint loss anywhere else in that area. Take the long bolt out of the rear vertical cover that makes a 90-degree bend at the top, and has a 1/2" hole in it at the top, and see if there are any bolts loose in the bearing that holds that shaft. The shaft that I am referring to has what looks like a bicycle sprocket on it and the chain that drives it connects to a lower sprocket, which connects to the tractor. I don't have a diagram of your blower, so I can't identify the parts by number. Most likely the bearing that holds that shaft has shifted. You might have to remove the chain and sprocket to see it since it is a very close fit in there. I have your snow blowers big brother and have had him apart to fix this problem a long time ago when I picked up a large rock and damaged the fan. Not a difficult job and doesn't require any special tools. Just a greasy job, and difficult if you have to work out in the cold. In a warm garage, it is easy. Even easier if you can get it up high enough that you aren't on your knees doing the job.

sagor

Equipment
BX25, BX2750D, BX2760A, 5' back blade
Jan 9, 2017
Sudbury, ON, Canada
The fan blade on the far right seems to be bent outwards. I had that happen once when I caught a rock, bend the fan blade right out until it hit the housing shroud.
Bending the blade back fixed it, for now.

T0pper3

Equipment
Aug 30, 2018
Girard,Pa
I'm going to locate my manual and see if I can find anything loose or possibly bent. I will fill you in more once I get a better look.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I'm going to locate my manual and see if I can find anything loose or possibly bent. I will fill you in more once I get a better look.
Better not wait too long, winter is still going to be with us for another 3 or 4 months.