glitter in axle gear oil

Fredmeyer

Equipment
Kubota BX
Oct 9, 2015
New England
Hi,

I have a bx with glitter in the gear oil from the front axle and an mild clunking in 4x4 (could be u-joint?). No odd noise in 4x2.

How would one trouble shoot this? Are metal bits in the axle oil common?

front axle oil changed at 200 hrs by me and replaced with 90w

thanks

Last edited:

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Sounds like it’s time to disassemble the front axle.

Reactions: 1 user

woodman55

Equipment
L6060HSTC, RTV 1100
May 15, 2022
canada
Is there any warranty left, or Ktac. With the axle in the air, try turning each wheel, see if one side feels or sounds different. Could be a wheel end instead of the diff. There should not be metal in the oil.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
You are the second person to write about a problem with noise in the front axle, so I checked your previous posts to see if you posted about this twice. I did find a post that you made about using 1 1/2" spacers on the front wheels along with chains. (https://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/threads/bx1860-front-tire-chains.27383/#post-225185) I believe that your problem started with the use of chains on the front wheels and that the universals inside of the front axle probably couldn't stand up to the torque that the chains put on them.
I suggest that if you are mechanically inclined, you tear the front axle down and find out how much damage is done to the components, and make a list of parts that are going to need to be replaced. Then flush out the entire axle assembly with kerosene to get all the old grease out along with the metal chips. Once it is clean, reinstall the new parts and use the Kubota Super UDT2 for the lubricant. I would also forgo the use of chains in the future. I didn't take the time to read why you felt the need for chains, but I can tell you that I both snowblower and plow without any chains on my BX and just have filled rear turf tires and a weight box on the rear with about 600 pounds in it. I go both up and down hills and around curves. I use 4-wheel drive low range, keeping the RPMs around 3000, and going slowly. I have never gotten stuck in the snow, but I have had some times when I had to back up and align myself with the road because the snow pushed the tractor sideways.

Reactions: 2 users

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
You are the second person to write about a problem with noise in the front axle, so I checked your previous posts to see if you posted about this twice. I did find a post that you made about using 1 1/2" spacers on the front wheels along with chains. (https://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/threads/bx1860-front-tire-chains.27383/#post-225185) I believe that your problem started with the use of chains on the front wheels and that the universals inside of the front axle probably couldn't stand up to the torque that the chains put on them.
I suggest that if you are mechanically inclined, you tear the front axle down and find out how much damage is done to the components, and make a list of parts that are going to need to be replaced. Then flush out the entire axle assembly with kerosene to get all the old grease out along with the metal chips. Once it is clean, reinstall the new parts and use the Kubota Super UDT2 for the lubricant. I would also forgo the use of chains in the future. I didn't take the time to read why you felt the need for chains, but I can tell you that I both snowblower and plow without any chains on my BX and just have filled rear turf tires and a weight box on the rear with about 600 pounds in it. I go both up and down hills and around curves. I use 4-wheel drive low range, keeping the RPMs around 3000, and going slowly. I have never gotten stuck in the snow, but I have had some times when I had to back up and align myself with the road because the snow pushed the tractor sideways.
I wouldn’t doubt that spacers on front wheels also played a role on creating additional stress and wear on the front axle.

Reactions: 1 users

Fredmeyer

Equipment
Kubota BX
Oct 9, 2015
New England
The tractor still works in both 2x4 and 4x4 configurations. When in 4x4 there is a whine. I now suspect the axle oil may have been low and that the metal glitter is from a disintegrating bearing. Is the front diff hard to inspect/disassemble? It looks reasonably easy to pull apart but perhaps I am missing something.

@DustyRusty - I use front and rear chains (and rear weights) to plow / snowblow an off camber, tight & steep icy driveway. They provide improved directional control. Even fully chained, I have been stuck on a number of occasions due to sliding sideways off into deeper rotten snow where the bx18 is easily high centered. Low range is not an option for many of my plowing endearers because it leads to a lack of momentum to push big snow loads. A bigger tractor would be better but the bx18 is what I have.

Last edited:

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
Is there any warranty left, or Ktac. With the axle in the air, try turning each wheel, see if one side feels or sounds different. Could be a wheel end instead of the diff. There should not be metal in the oil.
Warranty on a 2009-2013 machine?

To the OP - have you ever changed the oil on your front diff and axel?

Fredmeyer

Equipment
Kubota BX
Oct 9, 2015
New England
no warranty (tractor is from 2008). I did change the oil once before at about 200 hours and did it last week again when I started hearing this noise.

Once I pull the axle apart and do an inspection I will update the post with findings

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
We're you looking at it under direct sunlight? Some glitter can be normal. I see it all the time in vehicles. The noise is concerning though.
Did you pour it through a paint strainer or stick a magnet in it?

Fredmeyer

Equipment
Kubota BX
Oct 9, 2015
New England
the glitter is very fine, abundant, and only seen only in sunlight. The noise is not that loud but I can hear it when I am in 4x4 through my hearing protection.

Coreymacc

Equipment
Bx 2380
Oct 12, 2022
Onoway,Alberta
I was in the local Kubota dealer buying some parts for my BX and i asked about front diff oil, they mentioned that they are recommending basic 80w90 gear oil in the front diffs. They feel the light tractor oil isn't adequate in handling the stress of moving snow etc. They even put it in on any overhauls they do, no longer using the lighter oil.

Corey

Fredmeyer

Equipment
Kubota BX
Oct 9, 2015
New England
I have been using 80w-90 as well. Before I rip this thing apart, has anyone else had any glitter in their bx axle oil?

I don't have any large metal fragments.

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
The issue may be unrelated. Fine ferrous glitter is normal for hypoid and bevel gears. Non ferrous or chunky is no Bueno.
Does your unit have a front driveshaft you can remove easily? If so, take it off and use 4wd if the fluid doesnt come pouring out. If the noise is there it's not the axle or shaft. Take a look at the shaft splines while you have it out.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
If you still have the oil, you can try sticking a strong magnet in it and see what you collect.
That would tell you if it’s steel or iron…not if it’s aluminum, brass, copper, chrome (nickel), etc