FEL mounted hydraulic cement mixer project

jimbo913

Equipment
L5030 with cab and HST
Apr 22, 2011
PA
Started building a cement mixer for my L5030 because I have a fair amount of concrete to pour and my back and arms are not 30 years old anymore. I also don't have $5-6k to buy one from a supplier.

If all goes well, I should not have much more than $200-300 in it because I aquired the steel for $30, hydraulic motor was given to me and I got the rotor shaft free out of an old piece of landscaping equipment which had the bearings replaced right before it was scrapped.

I didn't plan on documenting the build so I don't have a ton of photos but will snap a couple at each stage moving forward. So far I cut down a 3/16" thick tank, cut out sides, back and front steel plate, and got the sides welded on and rotor holes cut.

I have some vacation coming up and only working on this a little when possible so it wont be completed anytime soon but I do want it running by Sept. so I can get the concrete done this year.

Attachments

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Thats a great idea!
Weight of mixer when full not a concern for moving tractor?
Able to move to gravel pile , make loading easy. And dump exactly where you want. Could use something like that.

jcummins

Equipment
Kubota M7040, F3680, JD Gator 855D
Oct 19, 2013
Creal Springs, IL
I did that, but with an electric mixer. Fabed up a mount that bolted to bucket. Used cord on first project, but plan on making a 3pt tote, to put a generator, and propane bottle on it to running self contained. It worked pretty good.

jimbo913

Equipment
L5030 with cab and HST
Apr 22, 2011
PA
Weight is not a concern because I will only put in what it can handle. It is universal attach so if I want to load it full I could use a skid steer.
The 24" cylinder will hold .55 yards which is more than the 5030 can handle so I would probably fill it half full. Unloaded I think it wont be much heavier than a normal HD bucket with cutting edge and teeth, and the cement mix wont weight more than a full bucket of #57 stones, so I should be good.

Got the back plate tacked in. Will weld it tonight and hopefully tack in the front plate.

Attachments

jimbo913

Equipment
L5030 with cab and HST
Apr 22, 2011
PA
Back plate welded in and front plate tacked in place. Started drilling holes for bearing blocks.

Attachments

aeblank

Jun 19, 2013
Cadillac, MI
My dad welded a quick change plate to the legs of an old electric mixer. Small generator on the 3pt. Completely mobile and super cheap. Need to find the pics I have of it......

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I just put a 3 point on my engine powered mixer, way easier to move around.

jimbo913

Equipment
L5030 with cab and HST
Apr 22, 2011
PA
Originally I was going to put a small mixer on the quick attach but all that does is provide mobility. With this scoop design I can eliminate the most physically demanding part of the job which is loading it.

I will be slowing down on the project very soon.. After I mount the hydro I need to order hoses, fittings, chain, and sprockets. There is a bunch more to do really.

Complete welding the front plate.

Weld on quick attach plate.

I want to reinforce the edges with wear bar which I need to locate, cut and weld.

Replace angle grinder I just bought and killed cutting the steel.

Fab a protection cover for the main sprocket and chain.

Install rotary shaft.

Weld mixing tabs to rotary shaft.

Test and modify as needed.

Last edited:

jimbo913

Equipment
L5030 with cab and HST
Apr 22, 2011
PA
Quick attach plate welded on and main bucket completed except for cutting edges.

Inserted the rotary shaft. Need to mount shaft bearings, then hydro motor, and order sprockets/chain.

Attachments

jimbo913

Equipment
L5030 with cab and HST
Apr 22, 2011
PA
Made the bracket for the hydraulic pump, and test fit the bucket to determine hose length.

Attachments

jimbo913

Equipment
L5030 with cab and HST
Apr 22, 2011
PA
Spoke to some 3rd function suppliers and a mfg. and they said that the valves are not rated for motors just cylinders so I will be running the mixer off the rear outputs.
I ordered up the hydraulic hoses fittings and relief valve but could not order sprockets as I need to measure rpm after I get the other hydraulic parts. Then I can order sprockets.

jimbo913

Equipment
L5030 with cab and HST
Apr 22, 2011
PA
Relief valve, hoses and fittings arrived. Hooked it all up to determine the gearing based on rpm and ordered up chain, hubs and sprockets. Fit hoses with leather covers to protect and make them last longer.

Attachments

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Sorry to be the negative Nelly, and I do hope I'm wrong, but I don't think your going to be able to pick it up after you fill it!
I would be surprised even half full. ;)
I would do a static test with sand, rock and water and I think you loader is going to be stuck on the ground! :eek:

jimbo913

Equipment
L5030 with cab and HST
Apr 22, 2011
PA
I don't expect to lift it full. 1/2 - 3/4 of the 24" diameter portion would be nice.
The first test should come next week. After I get the sprockets and chain on I will scoop up #57 stone to see how well the paddles turn it.

I made it big in case I later buy a bigger tractor or skid steer.

Last edited: