Comparing the U25S to U35-4, some strange things

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
What do you guys think about pulling a small trailer behind the U35? Obviously the point where the mini lacks is moving dirt from one area to another
I move dirt with my tractor and just use the trackhoe for digging. I really don't think they're made for pulling plus the less walking you do the longer your undercarriage will last.

Flienlow

Equipment
Kubota BX25D, Kubota U25 mini EX, SVL75,Landpride Grapple,Landpride grading scra
Mar 9, 2015
snohomish
I have seen big hoes drag along large gravel skiffs full of material, but never seen anyone towing a trailer. The more I study these, the more I learn that drive motors and main pumps are expensive, however I dont know if it would hurt to tow a trailer? How would you hook it up and turn ect?

crmorse

Equipment
'20 RTV-XG850, '16 L47 TLB, '06 JCB 506CHL, '99 JD 455G, 1953 Ford 8N
Nov 28, 2016
Anniston, AL
Agreed. I commissioned a local welder to build me a heavy duty (4 ton) mini dump wagon (6' x 8') out of some old mobile home axles for just that purpose.

It's small enough to follow me through the woodsy trails for hobbyist logging needs, hydraulically dumped for dirt moving, and the sides are reconfigurable for dirt, brush, or open.

--at least, it's supposed to be... he's not done yet. I'll post pics when I get it.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
They walk so slow I would hate to depend on one for pulling a trailer. I haul mine as close to the work as I can when possible.

Jfet

Apr 7, 2017
Monroe, WA
Yeah I don't think I will try and pull a trailer with it.

The hours are piling up fast. Already have 17 hours on it :(

I am getting quite skilled though. I mastered the twist turn (foot pedals are indeed great for that) which doesn't tear up the ground nearly as much as a skid turn. Thanks for that info.

Weed, I mean small tree, pulling is a lot better now. I am moving 4 or 5 cylinders at once and rarely miss a pull. Still a lot of working clearing our long driveway. We are about 400 yards from being done with that though.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
(guess you have to drive backward)
I don't see why it would be different but on large trackhoes walking backwards for actual traveling in bad on the track rails and undercarriage. It puts the slack on the bottom which causes excess wear.

Jfet

Apr 7, 2017
Monroe, WA
Finished clearing the saplings from the driveway on our new property!

The U35 performed much better than expected and I actually can fake that I know what I am doing with it now. Especially the twist turn of the tracks using the boom/arm lift. My wife was impressed with that :)

She is getting good at operating it too. We are still in that new stage where we somewhat fight over who gets to run it. She even asked why we didn't get two :D

There was a ~8 inch tree on the last section that had fallen across the road. I was going to chainsaw it but the U35 was able to pick the whole thing up and (carefully) move it off to the side, root ball and all.

Flienlow

Equipment
Kubota BX25D, Kubota U25 mini EX, SVL75,Landpride Grapple,Landpride grading scra
Mar 9, 2015
snohomish
Finished clearing the saplings from the driveway on our new property!

The U35 performed much better than expected and I actually can fake that I know what I am doing with it now. Especially the twist turn of the tracks using the boom/arm lift. My wife was impressed with that :)

She is getting good at operating it too. We are still in that new stage where we somewhat fight over who gets to run it. She even asked why we didn't get two :D

There was a ~8 inch tree on the last section that had fallen across the road. I was going to chainsaw it but the U35 was able to pick the whole thing up and (carefully) move it off to the side, root ball and all.
I got a big Piece of Steel Welded on my 24" bucket to make it a make-shift clean out bucket. Just about the time I got it on and the Hoe Greased we had lightning so I threw her back in the barn. :)

Jfet

Apr 7, 2017
Monroe, WA
Oh the rain has turned everything into mush! Eastern Washington isn't supposed to have this much rain. :(

It is like digging mashed potatoes. I regreased everything even though it has only been an hour of use in the past 3 days. I need a shed or something for my mini