Comparing the U25S to U35-4, some strange things

Jfet

Apr 7, 2017
Monroe, WA
The U35-4 has about 4hp more than the U25S and slightly wider tracks (about .2" wider) but has a lower traction figure.

U25S max drawbar pull 6745 lbs

U35-4 max drawbar pull 6091 lbs

splain?

Flienlow

Equipment
Kubota BX25D, Kubota U25 mini EX, SVL75,Landpride Grapple,Landpride grading scra
Mar 9, 2015
snohomish
Howdy Neighbor-

Tthat is a pretty interesting. Although, I bet the 35 hands down will be a stronger more powerful machine. What are you leaning towards?

Flienlow

Equipment
Kubota BX25D, Kubota U25 mini EX, SVL75,Landpride Grapple,Landpride grading scra
Mar 9, 2015
snohomish
I did until I saw the price. These things get out of my league pretty darn quickly. Have you checked out the SANY Sy35? I went down to Kitsap Tractor yesterday. 33k W/3 buckets. It is by far the best deal for a machine I have found. Although there are drawback from what I can tell. Chinese Made, and lack of support being the major issues. Bill at Kitsap tells me he has been selling a Ton of the them, w/little issues.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Makes no sense why the drawbar weight is less on the U35 other than the travel speed is a little higher.

I can't imagine a smaller machine actually being stronger. I have personally operated a U25 and they are very impressive for their size. Have never used a U35 but did use a U45 a few years ago. No comparison between those two, the U45 was a beast to be as small as it was.

afret

Equipment
L3901, MX5800, U55-4
May 7, 2015
North Idaho
Makes no sense why the drawbar weight is less on the U35 other than the travel speed is a little higher.

I can't imagine a smaller machine actually being stronger. I have personally operated a U25 and they are very impressive for their size. Have never used a U35 but did use a U45 a few years ago. No comparison between those two, the U45 was a beast to be as small as it was.
Yeah, these minis are amazing. Stumps that would take 30 minutes to dig out with my BH77 would just pop out with a bucket curl with my U55.

Flienlow

Equipment
Mar 9, 2015
snohomish
Yeah, these minis are amazing. Stumps that would take 30 minutes to dig out with my BH77 would just pop out with a bucket curl with my U55.
Go on. Gloat at all us poor people with your nice new U55.

I ain't Jealous. Well...maybe a little. :)

afret

Equipment
L3901, MX5800, U55-4
May 7, 2015
North Idaho
I sure am a hack though operating the thing. At least I'm getting used to driving it around but otherwise have to think about every move with the boom, stick, bucket, and house rotation. :( Maybe if I were good at video game controllers. LOL

Jfet

Apr 7, 2017
Monroe, WA
So do you think it is a misprint? A pretty big difference the U25 at 6800 pounds drawbar can more than pull its own weight where the U35 at 6000 might struggle. The other weird thing is the ground pressure on the U25 is 3.3 psi and it is 5psi on the U35. For its size, the U25 has a lot more track.

The U35 has more dig force, a float on the blade, and foot pedals for the drive track.

I am torn what to get. I need to put it on our Isuzu NRR 20 foot flatbed, which weighs 8600 pounds and has a GVWR of 19,500. The U25 would easily fit, the U35 *might* be ok.

I am going to buy from Kitsap...they have everyone beat by $2,000 to $5,000.

Would the U25 be *enough* machine? It is about $9,000 cheaper than the U35.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
What's your plans for the machine?

I bought a 325 Bobcat which works great but I always wish it was bigger. Always find myself wishing it had more reach.

Jfet

Apr 7, 2017
Monroe, WA
I want to use it to clear saplings (2" to 3" diameter) from the half mile of gravel road on the property we just bought. Repair some of the ditch along the road. Dig some trenches for various things. Roughly grade an area for a pole barn (mostly level already but has some bumps to take down. Dig the post holes for the pole barn (18 holes 4 feet deep, hopefully using the 12" bucket). Dig up a few stumps in the pole barn area (none over 12" diameter). Help lift trusses for pole barn (200 pounds? about 12 feet in the air). Dig out a little bit of snow in the winter (not plow the driveway but perhaps move a bit of snow here or there if it gets too high and crusty or the county piles up a 3 foot tall berm in front of our road entrance).

I want the U35 but I think maybe I could get by with the U25.

I need to fit the excavator on this 2006 Isuzu NRR flatbed truck which is 20 feet long flatbed, 176" wheelbase and can carry about 10,000 pounds if properly distributed. The problem is if I use ramps, the 8200 pound U35 potentially could lift the front of the truck off the ground (I did the math). I could put wood blocks or jacks under the rear of the flatbed while loading...

The 5600 pound U25 would be no problem for the Isuzu. But the U35 has the float blade, better seat, foot drive pedals, larger lift, higher bucket/stick force. ARGH.

Edit: This is going to sound silly, but is the horizontal CoG of a mini excavator at the mid point of the tracks? I assume it is...

Attachments

Last edited:

Flienlow

Equipment
Mar 9, 2015
snohomish
I want to use it to clear saplings (2" to 3" diameter) from the half mile of gravel road on the property we just bought. Repair some of the ditch along the road. Dig some trenches for various things. Roughly grade an area for a pole barn (mostly level already but has some bumps to take down. Dig the post holes for the pole barn (18 holes 4 feet deep, hopefully using the 12" bucket). Dig up a few stumps in the pole barn area (none over 12" diameter). Help lift trusses for pole barn (200 pounds? about 12 feet in the air). Dig out a little bit of snow in the winter (not plow the driveway but perhaps move a bit of snow here or there if it gets too high and crusty or the county piles up a 3 foot tall berm in front of our road entrance).

I want the U35 but I think maybe I could get by with the U25.

I need to fit the excavator on this 2006 Isuzu NRR flatbed truck which is 20 feet long flatbed, 176" wheelbase and can carry about 10,000 pounds if properly distributed. The problem is if I use ramps, the 8200 pound U35 potentially could lift the front of the truck off the ground (I did the math). I could put wood blocks or jacks under the rear of the flatbed while loading...

The 5600 pound U25 would be no problem for the Isuzu. But the U35 has the float blade, better seat, foot drive pedals, larger lift, higher bucket/stick force. ARGH.

Edit: This is going to sound silly, but is the horizontal CoG of a mini excavator at the mid point of the tracks? I assume it is...

Sound Gave me the best quote on a U25. If you want to wait a month you can get one at Pacific in Portland. (they don't have one.) Also, did you check out the SANY 35 at Kitsap? that is a lot of machine for the $$

afret

Equipment
L3901, MX5800, U55-4
May 7, 2015
North Idaho
Actually the U25 has a lower ground pressure (3.3 vs 3.9) and can lift more than the KX71.

The KX71 does have a higher bucket and stick force.
The Kx71 has more drawbar pull, can lift more over the side, has more reach, and can dig deeper. The U25 can lift more over the end.

Jfet

Apr 7, 2017
Monroe, WA
The Kx71 has more drawbar pull, can lift more over the side, has more reach, and can dig deeper. The U25 can lift more over the end.
Yes, and getting back to the start of the thread, now we see even a lighter KX71 has quite a bit more drawbar pull than the U35-4. I still don't get it.

Jfet

Apr 7, 2017
Monroe, WA
The KX33 is the same as the U35 (engine, drawbar pull, speed) but as you say, is lighter weight.

I just feel that if you are going to go micro mini on excavators (sub 4 ton) you probably should get tight or zero tail swing. I don't know why I feel that, having never owned a ex, but there you go.

I am really leaning toward the U25S. Especially after reading about a owner who has 8000+ hours on his with the original rubber tracks and no problems other than oil/filter changes. With that kind of life, does it matter if a stump takes 30 min to dig out vs 10 min? If you are doing it for yourself in your spare time and having fun?

The Isuzu NRR will shrug off the weight of the U25S since it carries our homebuilt camper pods which are near 10,000 pounds.

Attachments

Flienlow

Equipment
Mar 9, 2015
snohomish
The KX33 is the same as the U35 (engine, drawbar pull, speed) but as you say, is lighter weight.

I just feel that if you are going to go micro mini on excavators (sub 4 ton) you probably should get tight or zero tail swing. I don't know why I feel that, having never owned a ex, but there you go.

I am really leaning toward the U25S. Especially after reading about a owner who has 8000+ hours on his with the original rubber tracks and no problems other than oil/filter changes. With that kind of life, does it matter if a stump takes 30 min to dig out vs 10 min? If you are doing it for yourself in your spare time and having fun?

The Isuzu NRR will shrug off the weight of the U25S since it carries our homebuilt camper pods which are near 10,000 pounds.
Do note (from what I am told) No tail swing=No(or little) Counter Weight
which means little working/lifting over the side of machine. I agree with you though, yes it would be fun to have a Cat 345, but for the dollar, do you really need the cost of a bigger more expensive machine that rips out a stump in 10min vs 20?

Jfet

Apr 7, 2017
Monroe, WA
Do note (from what I am told) No tail swing=No(or little) Counter Weight
which means little working/lifting over the side of machine. I agree with you though, yes it would be fun to have a Cat 345, but for the dollar, do you really need the cost of a bigger more expensive machine that rips out a stump in 10min vs 20?
The arm is counterweighted somewhat in a ZTS machine from what I can see.

The lifting specs for the U25S at 8 foot radius 4 feet high is 1660 pounds over the blade and 1300 pounds over the side.

So you could pull a small stump of around 500 pounds and bring it in to 8 feet and easily swing it around to the side without fear of tipping.

I mean this is what Kubota says in the spec sheet.