BX23S fuel tank screen

PNWBXer

Equipment
BX2380
Feb 24, 2020
Washington
So I googled what is the best Mircon filter for Diesel fuel....it said 30 Microns. I get that most of what we are trying to do with these 100 Micron fuel tank opening screens is to get any large debris from passing from fuel storage tank to tractor fuel tank....and thus clog a filter eventually...or block fuel flow entirely like a leaf.

So my question is......because these BX fuel filters suck......shouldn't we be helping them out with a lower micron screen so they last longer? Obviously I don't want to take forever to fill up the BX with a screen that takes forever to drain.........but I'd like some actual filtration beyond 100 microns. Am I off base? Is 100 Microns plenty? Hell.....are our BX Fuel filters even 30 Microns?

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I consider the fuel 'filler' filter to be a 'rocks and chickens' filter. Designed to keep the 'big' stuff out of the tank, like chunks of plastic that plug the outlet spigot (3/16 diameter+-). As such 100 microns would be OK. If you go smaller, you need to increase the area of the screen. Someone will know the math, but my gut say going from 100 to 30 (3x smaller holes) , you'll need a filter 9x larger in area, go get the same flow rate.

Reactions: 1 user

Pau7220

Equipment
L3650 GST, Landpride TL250 FEL w/ Piranha, 6' King Kutter, GM1084R Finish
Aug 1, 2017
Scranton, PA
to get any large debris from passing from fuel storage tank to tractor fuel tank....and thus clog a filter eventually...or block fuel flow entirely like a leaf.
'rocks and chickens' filter. Designed to keep the 'big' stuff out of the tank, like chunks of plastic that plug the outlet spigot
Exactly.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
I don't understand why you don't just use a "Mr. Funnel" filter? It will remove any water in the fuel as well.

I use them for the tractor as well as all of my mowers. Yes, there will be a small amount of fuel left in the funnel, which I use for some driveway weed "control".

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
checked it out....$40+S&H from Amazon.ca.... $18 from crappytire down the road.

The one problem with the funnel...... WHERE is it !!!! Dang, it was here a minute ago, oh well, glugg,glug,pour, pour....mintutes later.tractor stops dead...KRAP got in 'somehow'....
It's a Murphy thing...

Last edited:

xrocketengineer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1880, FEL, Grapple, 36 in. Forks, 48in. MMM, Quick Spade, Ripper
Nov 14, 2020
Merritt Island, Florida
It is one of those things: "An ounce of prevention...." Since the fuel filler inlet is so large and is perfectly vertical, any thing can fall in and you might not even notice. An insect might be the best example. If it flies in while you are picking up the fuel nozzle or fuel can. Then, it might take months until it partially clogs the fuel tank outlet and then you have "strange power problems" and you can not figure out what is going on.

OrangeKrush

Equipment
BX2680, LA344 with Piranha tooth bar, LP PF 1242, LP Rear Blade, KK 60" BB
Nov 15, 2020
Indy
I don't understand why you don't just use a "Mr. Funnel" filter? It will remove any water in the fuel as well.

I use them for the tractor as well as all of my mowers. Yes, there will be a small amount of fuel left in the funnel, which I use for some driveway weed "control".
I picked this up not long after I got my tractor. It was on clearance for $5 so I figured what the heck, I use it and as said the little bit of fuel left in bottom kills the weeds in the drive.

I would still like to get a screen though.. just in case!

Attachments

xrocketengineer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1880, FEL, Grapple, 36 in. Forks, 48in. MMM, Quick Spade, Ripper
Nov 14, 2020
Merritt Island, Florida
Well, it just arrived and the fit is perfect, no extra gasket needed, it sits slightly below and inside the ridge that seals against the cap. It is also loose inside, easy to remove.

IMG_20220211_170201.jpg
IMG_20220211_170753.jpg

Pau7220

Equipment
Aug 1, 2017
Scranton, PA
I don't understand why you don't just use a "Mr. Funnel" filter?
So when a spider crawls in the open end and croaks, it will be the first thing to drop in the tank on the next use. Nothing is perfect, but I wish they made a coffee filter to fit my L3650.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
So when a spider crawls in the open end and croaks, it will be the first thing to drop in the tank on the next use. Nothing is perfect, but I wish they made a coffee filter to fit my L3650.
Just what is that supposed to mean? Really? Do you not take 2 seconds to look/wipe out any other funnel that you use? I guess that would be to much effort? :unsure:

Geez, you guys are too much. I suppose I don't have anything else to contribute to this thread. When you complain about frozen fuel lines or moisture in your fuel filters, I'll play the finger violin for you.

Carry on.

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
It is one of those things: "An ounce of prevention...." Since the fuel filler inlet is so large and is perfectly vertical, any thing can fall in and you might not even notice. An insect might be the best example. If it flies in while you are picking up the fuel nozzle or fuel can. Then, it might take months until it partially clogs the fuel tank outlet and then you have "strange power problems" and you can not figure out what is going on.

Yep. And some of us live where there are trees, and filling your tank under a nice oak tree can be interesting.

John T

Equipment
2017 BX23S
May 5, 2017
under a rock
Greetings,
I have found a perfect fit, drop in screen for the BX23S fuel tank. It is a Zell cold brew iced coffee tea filter for 32oz wide mouth mason jars.
Thank you, Hornet.

I got mine the other day and it fits great on my BX23s

no problem filling with my HF electric pump setup.

Pau7220

Equipment
Aug 1, 2017
Scranton, PA
Just what is that supposed to mean?
Sorry, I forgot to translate it from Chinese….
1. NOTHING is perfect… even the coveted mr funnel
2. I wish they made a coffee filter screen to fit my tractor …just in case

leveraddict

Equipment
2017 BX23S 60" LP BoxBlade 54" mower 60" BackBlade EA 12" 1 bottom plow & Forks
Apr 1, 2019
NEPA
Well I just got my Zell coffee filter!
SOooo I wonder what happens to this stainless basket after soaking for a while in a tank of diesel?
I will be periodically checking it to see just how good the stainless is! First sign of color change or oxidation and its gone! All stainless is not the same!

EDIT
I gave it the magnet test and it is good quality stainless steel like used in the food industry!

Last edited:

PaulR

Equipment
BX 23S -- 100 hours seat time so far
Aug 3, 2020
Hadley, MA
Confirmed, this filter fits perfectly into a 2020 BX23S with no mods.
Purchased on Amazon for whatever I said above, $15 iirc.
KIMG0650.JPG

PaulR

Equipment
BX 23S -- 100 hours seat time so far
Aug 3, 2020
Hadley, MA
Well I just got my Zell coffee filter!
SOooo I wonder what happens to this stainless basket after soaking for a while in a tank of diesel?
I will be periodically checking it to see just how good the stainless is! First sign of color change or oxidation and its gone! All stainless is not the same!

EDIT
I gave it the magnet test and it is good quality stainless steel like used in the food industry!
I don't plan on leaving mine in for this exact concern, only going to put it in when I fuel up.
P