Bx2370 vs GR2120 for mowing hilly 5 acres

ShaunBlake

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B6100D; B219; Piranha bar; Hodge stabilizers; Filled Ag rears; R322T w/48" deck
Dec 21, 2014
Sugar Hill -- next door to Buford, GA
Some reason this is the only site that I have issues with posting pictures and they come out rotated.

My Kubota is now vertical
Hope you make her wipe her feet before going in!

That issue is a result of settings in the bowels of the forum software; all pictures are presented in portrait mode. Live with it; always hold your phone/camera vertically; or edit the pics to make them taller than wide (or square).

I don't believe it's so big a problem that Mr_K needs to get the programmers to change anything (and possibly cause other issues) but if it really bothers you, <shrug> request that it be changed.

sawmill

Equipment
bx24 backhoe/fel, 48" Bush mower
Nov 16, 2014
ione, washington
Fell off my chair, laughing so hard. You guys make me historical! :D:D:D
Shaun, the best way to figure the angle of a hill is: close your first and stick your thumb up (like a thumbs up jester) then tilt your head slightly to right and sight between your thumb and hill. Then gage the distance between thumb and hillside. Then you multiple by 2 then subtract 1/2 (just in case your a half a bubble off). Also your tongue should protrude slightly from between your lips on the left corner of your mouth. Works every time. :D:D:D

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
Shaun, the best way to figure the angle of a hill is: close your first and stick your thumb up (like a thumbs up jester) then tilt your head slightly to right and sight between your thumb and hill. Then gage the distance between thumb and hillside. Then you multiple by 2 then subtract 1/2 (just in case your a half a bubble off). Also your tongue should protrude slightly from between your lips on the left corner of your mouth. Works every time. :D:D:D
You forgot that someone needs to take your picture doing that and post it here so we can gauge your technique! :p

Tallahassee Kubota Man

Equipment
M5140HD/LA1153/LandPride RCF2072/DirtDog disc/RakeMaster grapple/Caroni tiller
Hope you make her wipe her feet before going in!

That issue is a result of settings in the bowels of the forum software; all pictures are presented in portrait mode. Live with it; always hold your phone/camera vertically; or edit the pics to make them taller than wide (or square).

I don't believe it's so big a problem that Mr_K needs to get the programmers to change anything (and possibly cause other issues) but if it really bothers you, <shrug> request that it be changed.
ShaunBlake, I've had issues with the software flipping my pics too. The way I fixed it was to open it up in Photoshop then save it. Once I did that and uploaded to OTT everything was hunky dory. Many of them were landscape mode and stayed that way after uploading. I did notice some of them ended up square.

ShaunBlake

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 21, 2014
ShaunBlake, I've had issues with the software flipping my pics too. The way I fixed it was to open it up in Photoshop then save it. Once I did that and uploaded to OTT everything was hunky dory. Many of them were landscape mode and stayed that way after uploading. I did notice some of them ended up square.
That's interesting, and I'd like to dig into it a bit but... <sigh> I kinda gave up on PS cuz of the learning curve (try to imagine a brick wall) and I don't know if the machine it is on even runs any more. I've tried your process with Paint, with no joy. Haven't tried with any other image editor, so may explore that.

OTOH, composing the pics so they don't rotate is easy for me to handle, if I can remember... wait, was it always landscape? <drat!> Now you got me all mixed up!

Let's try to get back on topic and see some more pics of Mikeske's tractor and see if she's got dirty tires from grinding that GR2120 in the dirt!

Mikeske

Equipment
Kubota GR2120
May 9, 2014
Sedro Woolley, Washington
That's interesting, and I'd like to dig into it a bit but... <sigh> I kinda gave up on PS cuz of the learning curve (try to imagine a brick wall) and I don't know if the machine it is on even runs any more. I've tried your process with Paint, with no joy. Haven't tried with any other image editor, so may explore that.

OTOH, composing the pics so they don't rotate is easy for me to handle, if I can remember... wait, was it always landscape? <drat!> Now you got me all mixed up!

Let's try to get back on topic and see some more pics of Mikeske's tractor and see if she's got dirty tires from grinding that GR2120 in the dirt!
Let's try this, Still doing it. the tires are dirty from driving on wet grass and then over my gravel driveway.

Attachments

Last edited:

ShaunBlake

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 21, 2014
Let's try this, Still doing it. the tires are dirty from driving on wet grass and then over my gravel driveway.
Hey, at least something's working -- mud is gone. (Hope your neighbor on the "downhill" side doesn't get upset with the mud fallin' on his place! :D

ThisIsNotaStep

Equipment
2005 bx23 tlb
Nov 26, 2010
Ontario, Canada
I mow with a BX23 belly mower, does a real sharp job. I have a long steep hill across the front of my place and ag (bar) tires. Some sections I can run across the grade, but most of the time I'm backing up and mowing down parallel with the grade. I've learned that I do less damage if I keep it in 4 wd, over slipping wheels in 2 wd. I never remove loader/bh. Sometimes I wedge myself in the seat by pushing one foot against loader frame, sometimes the seat switch makes it hiccup. Worst part of working on hills is taking the parking brake off w/o having it in gear ... woe nelly! Once I finished grading the humps with the belly mower, I'll prob get some turf tires.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Looking for advice. Upgrading to new. Should I stick with gr2120 or switch to b2301 or bx2370?

Depending on you checkbook - the B2301 would be the better choice.

Your 2120 does not have the 3 point on it ......either one of the others does and the B series will have a large carry capacity on that!

Only drawback it the B2301 is a tier 4 engine ......I think .....and right now I would ....well .....the verdict is still out on the perfection of the tier 4's.

The BX will have a smaller footprint and can get in and out of areas easily - and is lower to the ground - little more stable.

comfun1

Equipment
b7100 with 1630c loader
Jul 28, 2015
Independence
I have six acres with a pond, house, shop and greenhouse along with over 200 trees and shrubs and various landscaped areas. I have a b7100 with fel I am considering retiring for a bx but am not even considering mowing with the tractor. I do all my mowing with a cub cadet ztr with steering wheel. It will mow all the slopes around my pond which a tractor will not. despite all the obstacles I mow around it only takes me about six hours and there is little weed eating left to do. A tractor is not the best way to mow. My father-in-law has a kubota with a finishing mower and 18 acres. He mows it all with a 72" cut ztr. He uses the kubota for garden tilling and other chores.

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
I have a ditch I have to mow with my L3200. I cannot mow it horizontally, it takes me past 20° angle and the tractor is very unstable, even with the loader an inch above ground level.

I mow the top and bottom with the rear cutter and then in the spots I can't mow down at an angle, I use an inverter and a weed whacker powered by the tractor, works fine, but I'm not looking for a finish mow job, just weed cutting.

The ZTR mowers have all their weight down low, so they can handle steeper slopes than a tractor can. If you have a lot of slopes like this, you'll need a boom mower or a side cutter of some sort, like a sickle bar or offset wing mower. Then you can mow from the top and bottom and get all the slope.

Boom Mower:

Last edited: