chucky79

Equipment
BX25D, B7100 Restoration project with a B219 loader and B670 backhoe
May 16, 2014
Ashland, KY
I have to stick with a 54" deck
Currently have the gr2120 , would it be worth
Upgrading to a bx2370?
Not sure if all Gr2120's are 4x4 or not but I went from an 80's heavy iron Cub Cadet GT to a bx2370 and it was an unbelievable upgrade. The 4x4 on my hills, power to mow the thick stuff and scatter the clippings into the wind, the versatility of a tractor with 3ph and attachments. Best decision I ever made and it turned out to be so useful I plan on upgrading to a bx25d for even more versitility in a year or so just because.....

Mikeske

Equipment
Kubota GR2120
May 9, 2014
Sedro Woolley, Washington
I have a GR2120 and a green machine in the SCUT class. My green machine has a FEL, backhoe, and 62" deck. The biggest issue I have with the green machine is the weight in the spring. My property retains a lot of water since it has a lot of clay in the ground and the heavier machine is a disadvantage. Can you say getting stuck in the some of the softer areas which is most of my yard.

Weight can be a big factor if you have a property like mine. I much prefer to stay on the larger deck size but I can mow once the yard dries out and it then becomes much easier. I have added quite a bit of drainage to the property but still you can only divert the water someplace and it has ended up my back yard and a part of the side yard still have to have more drainage wihich can get very expensive very quickly.

I really like my SCUT green machine and it does great and it is a very good tractor and I have no intention on not having it.

I also really like the GR2120 for what it does and it does give a unbelievable cut and since I bought mine I also have the bagger and it really gives my property the look that a professional does.

Last edited:

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
I have a GR2120 and a green machine in the SCUT class. My green machine has a FEL, backhoe, and 62" deck. The biggest issue I have with the green machine is the weight in the spring. My property retains a lot of water since it has a lot of clay in the ground and the heavier machine is a disadvantage. Can you say getting stuck in the some of the softer areas which is most of my yard.

Weight can be a big factor if you have a property like mine. I much prefer to stay on the larger deck size but I can mow once the yard dries out and it then becomes much easier. I have added quite a bit of drainage to the property but still you can only divert the water someplace and it has ended up my back yard and a part of the side yard still have to have more drainage wihich can get very expensive very quickly.

I really like my SCUT green machine and it does great and it is a very good tractor and I have no intention on not having it.

I also really like the GR2120 for what it does and it does give a unbelievable cut and since I bought mine I also have the bagger and it really gives my property the look that a professional does.
With your yard that wet and saturated, does the GR mow it without damage, or is it still an issue? I ask because in your case, you may be to an extreme where it wouldn't matter unless you were using a pushmower.

To atechbh- I don't think that there is any question that most anything the Gr does for you, a BX would do better. The BX would open up other avenues of work because of the 3 point, pto. loader, etc. The question would become- is the increased abilities to work worth the investment? You would have to decide that.

b12

Dec 8, 2009
Maine
I have to stick with a 54" deck
Currently have the gr2120 , would it be worth
Upgrading to a bx2370?
Why are you considering upgrading from your GR2120 to a BX2370 ?
Your nimbleness around objects is going to decrease greatly if you go from the GR to a BX.
Could your L3940 with a rear finish mower be used to mow some of your hilly 5 acres ?

Mikeske.. Makes a good point about weight and soft areas on the lawn.

Machine weight was a major concern of mine when I was looking for a replacement for my 550 pound Wheel Horse Garden Tractors.

I was interested in 4 wheel drive because of some steep slopes on my lawn, but also needed to consider keeping the machine light in weight because of soft areas on other parts of my lawn.
I looked at the BX series first but felt they were too heavy, then looked at the GR series , which are a little bit lighter than the BX, but issues about the earlier GR series transmission problems concerned me.

I ended up getting the Husqvarna R322T AWD which is 570 pounds. It's light in weight for the soft areas of my lawn and has plenty of power and traction for my steep sloped lawn areas. It's also has articulating steering so it's very nimble around objects.

However a 54" mowing deck is not offered :( for the R322T, it only comes with a 48" or 41" front mounted mowing deck.

atechbh

Equipment
L3940. GR2120
Jun 7, 2014
Mallorytown Ontario Canada
I don't have the L3940 anymore. Just a B21 and the gr2120. Just for this summer I will also be mowing about 6 acres at my fathers property up the road which is mostly flat as he is going in for hip replacement. So wondering if the bx would me more comfortable for the mowing. Unfortunately have to stay with the 54 deck to get trough the 60" gates

skohler

Aug 4, 2014
Gettysburg, PA
Perhaps I'm missing something about your situation, but I'm not sure I would want to tackle 6 acres with a 54" deck on a small tractor. Could you get a small(ish) ZTR mower?

tcrote5516

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, 50" Front Blower, Heated Cab, 6' blade, 3pt carry all, 3pt hitch
Sep 2, 2014
Southern New Hampshire
I had the same problem with my BX being too heavy and the 4 wheel drive doing turf damage.

I wait until the grass is dry to mow but that doesn't mean the ground is dry and unless it is super dry the BX would rut it up BAD. Even when it was dry and turning in 4x4 would tear it up.

I just picked up a zero turn and have had the chance to drive it around on my wet lawn and with only 38% of the weight it doesn't cause any damage. Because you can control the power at both rear wheels 4x4 is not needed. I love my BX but you can't beat a zero turn for mowing.

tcrote5516

Equipment
Sep 2, 2014
Southern New Hampshire
Perhaps I'm missing something about your situation, but I'm not sure I would want to tackle 6 acres with a 54" deck on a small tractor. Could you get a small(ish) ZTR mower?
I do the same and it's not that bad. I cut 2 acres weekly and hit the other 4 about once a month or so. Takes me about 3 hrs for the 4 acres.

atechbh

Equipment
L3940. GR2120
Jun 7, 2014
Mallorytown Ontario Canada
Zero turn won't work with the crazy hills and ditches I have. Was at the Kubota dealership today and tried a few machines. Leaning towards a B2601 with 54" drive over deck and front loader.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tcrote5516

Equipment
Sep 2, 2014
Southern New Hampshire
This is the video that got me to buy this mower. I don't know what you have for hills but I have some decent ones. The 4 wheel steering on this mower makes it go and hold a hill like no other zero turn. Watch him turn up hill mid stream @ 2:29....insane traction and low center of gravity makes it a mowing monster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ub5zhteH73Y

Plus with no lap bars you don't tear up the lawn and have a free hand for beer;)

b12

Dec 8, 2009
Maine
Zero turn won't work with the crazy hills and ditches I have. Was at the Kubota dealership today and tried a few machines. Leaning towards a B2601 with 54" drive over deck and front loader.
I have a previous post on this thread about a Husqvarna R322T AWD with a Combi 103 mowing deck, and it was just what I needed to mow some steep slopes on my lawn.
It's hard to explain how well this machine can perform on sloped ground, so I've tried to find a video of the R322T mowing some slopes.
I didn't find a video of a R322T, but I did find this interesting video on YouTube of an articulating AWD mower being used on a steep slope.
The machine in the video is a Jonsered FR2216MA2 with a Combi 103 mowing deck which is almost the same exact machine as my Husqvarna R322T AWD.
Front and back transmissions are the same for both machines but the Husqvarna R322T's engine has a little more HP.

The video does a pretty good job in showing what the articulating AWD mower can do on slopes, and it'll fit through that 60" gate you're concerned about too.

Part 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMfAAoaLur0
Part 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZQ3cbD0rPY

Last edited:

eddiebob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2680, JD 40
Mar 23, 2014
Poplarville, Mississippi
Similar situation here. I've been cutting 5+ acres of hilly ground for 10 years. Been real happy with a JD 2210 w/54" deck. A regular mower would just give you fits. Go ahead and move up to the BX. You'll be glad you did! Ed B

Mikeske

Equipment
Kubota GR2120
May 9, 2014
Sedro Woolley, Washington
With your yard that wet and saturated, does the GR mow it without damage, or is it still an issue? I ask because in your case, you may be to an extreme where it wouldn't matter unless you were using a pushmower.

To atechbh- I don't think that there is any question that most anything the Gr does for you, a BX would do better. The BX would open up other avenues of work because of the 3 point, pto. loader, etc. The question would become- is the increased abilities to work worth the investment? You would have to decide that.
No the GR2120 is just light enough to not do much damage but it will still leave impression if I try to turn to quickly, so go slow and easy being the word here. Once the ground dries I can and do use my John Deere 2305 but I take off the front end loader and backhoe. Both the FEL and bachoe can be taken off in less then 5 minutes and I just leave them on the garage approach and reconnect them after I mow.

Since the JD does not have a powerflow attachment I use the Kubota for cleanup once the ground dries enough and then I have what neighbors say is golf course looking yard. I just say you are driving over the 20 MPH sppeed limit as there are a lot of weeds in the yard.

Attachments

Last edited:

sawmill

Equipment
bx24 backhoe/fel, 48" Bush mower
Nov 16, 2014
ione, washington
No the GR2120 is just light enough to not do much damage but it will still leave impression if I try to turn to quickly, so go slow and easy being the word here. Once the ground dries I can and do use my John Deere 2305 but I take off the front end loader and backhoe. Both the FEL and bachoe can be taken off in less then 5 minutes and I just leave them on the garage approach and reconnect them after I mow.

Since the JD does not have a powerflow attachment I use the Kubota for cleanup once the ground dries enough and then I have what neighbors say is golf course looking yard. I just say you are driving over the 20 MPH sppeed limit as there are a lot of weeds in the yard.
Yep, that's pretty steep. Looks almost vertical. ;):):D