B1700 Starting Issues

orange1021

Aug 28, 2010
champaign, IL
buzter-please let us know if your tractor continues to start

Dave--regarding post 11, should the positive wire be left on the solenold when you try to see if the solenoid is the problem? how big of gauge should the bypass wire be? 16-12?
thanks for all your help, was planning to take the tractor in to kubota dealer but would like to narrow problem down if possible, my mechanic skills are limited.
Del

B7100

Equipment
B7100,B7100 with Backhoe and FEL, Goldoni Quad 20
Feb 11, 2010
Wales
buzter-please let us know if your tractor continues to start

Dave--regarding post 11, should the positive wire be left on the solenold when you try to see if the solenoid is the problem? how big of gauge should the bypass wire be? 16-12?
thanks for all your help, was planning to take the tractor in to kubota dealer but would like to narrow problem down if possible, my mechanic skills are limited.
Del
First hook the ohm meter leads to the large solenoid terminals with crocodile clips so you have both hands free and set to ohms.
Touch the byepass wire which is the same size as what is already there or any size larger won't hurt, on the switch terminal for long enough for you to get a click and see if there is low reading .you can try this repeatidly to see if any fault is intermitent but dont leave it on longer than 5 seconds each time
dave

Last edited:

buzter

Aug 7, 2010
SD
Thought maybe I had the issue solved after taking off starter and re-installing...nope, still there..I am going to try the relay see where I get from there. Thanks for all the great help

thecoopers

Equipment
B2920, endloader, bellymower
Jan 25, 2010
Reliance, TN
Some of the kubota start switches go bad. They actually get loose on the back part of the switch. This causes the selinoid to no draw in hard enough to make contact.
I believe this is our problem. Just put the starter and solenoid back on after it checked out just fine at the alternator shop (the tractor is a year old B2920). It has been increasingly harder to start.

Does anyone know how to replace the switch or what I mean is how to get to the switch to replace it?

Thank you.

Joe

gary o

Equipment
haying equipment,
Aug 14, 2010
Canton, NY
joe
I have just replaced my key switch. My tractor is 2005 L3130 and just clicked when you tryed to start it. dealer had the switch $35.00 . the switch comes wired to a fast connector .the front spins off and the switch falls in. time, start to finish 30 min
gary

buzter

Aug 7, 2010
SD
I have had my switch off...cleaned with a good Electrical cleaner and put back on...it works great now...so not for sure if it is the switch...I am maybe leaning more toward the relay

buzter

Aug 7, 2010
SD
Buzter,

How did you get to your switch to put on the cleaner?

Joe
Joe,

I took the instrament panel out, reached down unplugged the switch, and then unscrewed the front of the switch and then removed it from the tractor, then I applied the deoxit electrical cleaner (I got from a guitar store, otherwise I believe Radio Shack sells it, great cleaner) to the front (where the key goes in), and also the back of the switch, put it back together and it worked alot better positioning wise. One thing to note, when you put it back on, make sure you get the front nut that holds the switch in place tight, otherwise the switch will start spinning on ya

BUZ

buzter

Aug 7, 2010
SD
Joe,

That is on a B1700 anyway, I am not for sure if your dash just pops out or not? At the top of my instrament panel you can put a screwdriver in and pop it out, don't pull to hard after it pops out as there is electrical connections and spedo connections on the back of it, but you should be able to reach down in and get the switch out. Hope this helps

BUZ

thecoopers

Equipment
B2920, endloader, bellymower
Jan 25, 2010
Reliance, TN
Buz,

Actually the there is a whole plastic shroud with holes in it for the steering wheel, etc.

The key is on the side of the shroud and I haven't figured out yet how to get inside. I don't want to have to take the steering wheel off!

Maybe the service people at the dealer will tell me?

Joe

Any B2920 people out there that have gotten to the starter?

buzter

Aug 7, 2010
SD
Joe,

At the top of the instrument panel, do you have like two notches in the panel? put a screwdriver in and pry them up...the instrument panel should pop out pretty easily, then you can get down to the switch. That is how it was anyway on my B1700. Hope this helps

BUZ

orange1021

Aug 28, 2010
champaign, IL
Buz
I asked the same question on another Kubota forum and received an answer that maybe helpful. the guy suggested a low voltage relay kit by JDeer. he has used this on kubota and other machines and seems to solve the problem. kit # AM107421.....it is prewired and costs aroulnd 25-30$
If any one uses this, wold like to know. may try to look into it myself
Del

buzter

Aug 7, 2010
SD
Del,

I have heard of that also...I will check into that..used the tractor yesterday..still doing it...so maybe that will be the answer...

BUZ

orange1021

Aug 28, 2010
champaign, IL
Buz
I bought the low voltage kit and have it all hooked up except for one connection. It needs to go to the starter wire...do you know which one that is as it relates to the solenoid on the 1700?
Del

buzter

Aug 7, 2010
SD
Del,

On the solinoid, there are two large wires on there, one from the battery, and the other goes to the starter, then there is a smaller wire (apprroximately 16 ga. with spade terminal end, mine is black with white stripe) that plugs into the back of the solinoid, this is the wire that comes from the switch. when you turn the switch, it goes thru all the saftey switches then to the solinoid and then connects the two large posts to send current to the starter to turn the flywheel. So if it is the starter wire, meaning the wire that goes from the solinoid to the starter, it will be the short wire on the solinoid, going directly to the starter, if they mean from the key, it will be the smaller 16 ga wire. Hope this helps. Also let me know if this fixes your issue..as I have not gotten the chance to put one on mine as of yet. Did you get the John Deere one?

BUZ

orange1021

Aug 28, 2010
champaign, IL
Buz,
My switch wire is white and has a connector that will not attach to new relay connector. wondering if I can get one of those connectors that would connect the two wires side by side? Not sure what you call this type of connector. also thought about cutting end off of new wire and cutting into white switch wire and attach with the connector I mentioned above or use an end to end connector.
Would rather not cut white wire incase it doesn't work out. If i use the side by side connector, would I need to disconnect the white wire at solenoid terminal?

Hope this is makings sense. yes, bougth it at john deer, cost 28$
Del

B7100

Equipment
B7100,B7100 with Backhoe and FEL, Goldoni Quad 20
Feb 11, 2010
Wales
Correct me if I'm wrong but this looks like it does the same job as a bypass shunt from the battery to the switch wire on the starter solenoid .
Its continuity would be controlled by the new relay which is switched by a wire into the main start switch so as not to bypass the safety interlocks.

So if you have tried the battery live to starter solenoid switch wire bypass and it works then this kit if properly wired will work for you!!
Dave

Last edited:

orange1021

Aug 28, 2010
champaign, IL
Dave,
your explanation sounds right, but I don't know enough about this to say yes or no. After looking up various connectors, I know the connector I need to connect to is not a spade. It has plastic insert into connector plastic. It latches when inserted.
Del