Any ideas on how I can safely lift and install 18ft pole barn timbers?

CountryBumkin

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370 w/LA243, Bucket, Grapple, QA Pallet Forks, 60" MMM, rear blade & rake
Sep 27, 2015
Central FL
I have a little BX2370 with pallet fork attachment. I bought a pole barn kit. The posts are 8"x 8" x 18ft. I need to set into 18" x 48" holes.

My tractor can lift and carry the poles flat, but I need to lift them standing up right to get into holes.

Has anyone done this? How?

I saw a YouTube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaPCwuFGvM0 where the guy used a pallet on the forks to hold posts near fork tips and a strap around the post about 5 or 6 ft up from bottom.
However his posts where smaller and his tractor is bigger.

Is there a safe way to do this - or do I need to rent a lift of some sort.

Last edited:

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2601HSD & CK4010HST 4WD/FEL
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
you can do it with the forks...

or you can make a pig pole for the rear....

another way since you arent talking about anything heavy is to put a pulley & rope on a pig pole.. in case you cant get it tied off high enough.. you can just pull it up.

safer way would probably be with a couple of scaffold bucks & you just pull an end up to you that way.

then again us hillbilly's get on top of a 12' ladder, sit across it & pull it up that way with a rope... stick it in the hole & move on.

if theres a will............. theres a way.

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
might could take video pallet idea.... but instead of pallet.... an A frame that is a little taller to sit on forks or in bucket . Granted that would mean you have to lift one end of pole up to sit into the frame but two folk should be able to do that. A healthy one person could I guess as well. After strapped in.. with right height frame it would accommodate for additional height of pole and lack of height of lift distance of smaller tractor's FEL.

Others will chime in if the leverage weight might be to much for size of your tractor. That is something I don't have knowledge off.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
One way to do it is to position the base of the pole over the hole and then lift and push with the pole between the forks, BUT It's a BX, so low lift potential and low weight.
The slightest shift, bind, any other interference and things could go south real quick!
Don't risk it, just rent a extend a boom for the day and set them easily and safely. ;)

David Page

Equipment
1974 L260, 6" bush hog, subsoiler, spring tooth harrow, boom pole, 2 bottom plow
Jun 25, 2013
Dexter, ME
As NIW said a lift, but add at least one handy friend. Or use a few friends, ropes and some braces.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Also recall that if you attach the pole at a point off center, say 11 feet from one end 7 feet from other it will hang vertically. You can add weight to the lower end to keep it more vertical or able to attach to lower point still above center of gravity. Then have heavy end near hole pick it up and get the lower end started into the hole and lower it down.

In reality you can probably do it manually from the ground with three people and some ropes and pike pole

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
For a small tractor like the BX it could well be a dangerous thing to try (I used to have one of those ). Better idea was to set up some scaffolds and do it manually. Scaffold sections then will do a multiple of your chores, such as putting on siding, etc. Get your self a set of blocks and tackle, double pulleys on each. lift just above the mid point.

Last edited:

bcp

Equipment
BX2360
Apr 20, 2011
SW WA
If you end up tipping the pole into the hole, drop a 6ft or so 2x8, or maybe an old piece of metal roofing, into the hole for the pole end to slide down without scraping a 1/4 yard of dirt off the side of the hole.

Bruce

CountryBumkin

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Sep 27, 2015
Central FL
If you end up tipping the pole into the hole, drop a 6ft or so 2x8, or maybe an old piece of metal roofing, into the hole for the pole end to slide down without scraping a 1/4 yard of dirt off the side of the hole.

Bruce
Yup.Good advise. That is in the plan. I'm thinking about the pole idea. I could get a 8 or 10 ft pole weld it to some boxed steel where the steel slides over my forks. The pole attached to the steel at a 45 degree angle. That would give me the lifting height so strap is nearer the top of post when I lift it. The BX has the lifting capacity, its just doesn't have a lot of lifting height.

Something like this;

Attachments

Last edited:

CountryBumkin

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Sep 27, 2015
Central FL
Also recall that if you attach the pole at a point off center, say 11 feet from one end 7 feet from other it will hang vertically. You can add weight to the lower end to keep it more vertical or able to attach to lower point still above center of gravity. Then have heavy end near hole pick it up and get the lower end started into the hole and lower it down.

In reality you can probably do it manually from the ground with three people and some ropes and pike pole

This is what I'm thinking too.
I don't have any help around (my brother in-law is closest at 2 hours away). We are both in/near our 60's so I can't plan on getting much muscle-type help, that's why I bought the Kubota. But he can help with a guide rope. I will rent something if the Kubota can't do it. But I think it has the capacity if I can figure out a way to make an attachment (as shown in my previous post).
Thanks for all the help and concern.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I wish you luck, and Please take video!

It will be either:

"Look what the Kubota can do."
OR
"Look what I shouldn't have done!"

I won't give you Vegas odds on the first. ;)

bcp

Equipment
BX2360
Apr 20, 2011
SW WA
I put in a power pole at a house site by leaning it against the rear of an overhead rack on a pickup. I clamped on a couple of guide boards to keep it centered, then backed up slowly. Also had a board in the hole.

Bruce

Russell King

Equipment
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas

KennysNewFarm

Equipment
MX5800
Dec 28, 2017
Missouri
Have you thought about using a roustabout? That is what we used to put trusses in place that had a span of 32 feet. Very stable and safe. We borrowed a set from a friend. Maybe you could ask around and see if someone has one you could borrow. You could use to set the poles and then for the trusses as well? Good luck!

Ike

Equipment
Kubota L 3301, Farmall Cub. JD B. Ferguson TE 20
Jul 18, 2015
Mich
I don't think I would try setting the trusses with that small of tractor. Bad things can happen real fast

jordan2140

Oct 1, 2017
US
If they only weigh 400 lbs I would build something to provide leverage/wood frame "funnel", ropes, and get some day laborers.

Can you post more about the kit you bought? Price, size, materials etc?

Good luck!

CountryBumkin

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Sep 27, 2015
Central FL
If they only weigh 400 lbs I would build something to provide leverage/wood frame "funnel", ropes, and get some day laborers.

Can you post more about the kit you bought? Price, size, materials etc?

Good luck!
I got the kit here: https://jordantruss.com/jordan-truss-services/pole-barn-truss-manufacture/

42' x 36' (interior), 12ga roof panels, steel truss, posts are PT 8"x 8"x 18ft for a 14 ft eve height, 4:12 pitch. Cost $4500 delivered, plus $550 for stamped Engineering drawings.

I'm going to rent a skid steer with post hole attachment, I guess I might as well rent an off-road "boom lift or" articulating man lift" or whatever is the best machine for the job, to set the posts and trusses.

Last edited:

Russell King

Equipment
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
That looks like a good place for steel trusses.

I noticed they also fabricate a few items for tractor use.

Have you gotten the kit already? I would like to see what you think about it after it is up.

Is that price for just a roof or enclosed shed?