$16K repair bill

jaxs

Equipment
B1750HST
Jun 22, 2023
Texas
Not sure if it is the same for y'all south of the border, but when I bought my M7060 last fall they offered 0% for 60 months but the administration fee and monthly required Kubota insurance came to (approx) $129.00 a month for those 60 months. $4000.00 off for paying cash was much better! All I'm saying is 0% offers may not really be 0%.
When it comes to dollars and "sense" it's the same anywhere and you are right when you say "0% offers may not really be 0%." It's a marketing strategy intended to take emotional sting out of major purchases at the expense of buyer's pocketbook.

Reactions: 2 users

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
When it comes to dollars and "sense" it's the same anywhere and you are right when you say "0% offers may not really be 0%." It's a marketing strategy intended to take emotional sting out of major purchases at the expense of buyer's pocketbook.
Banks can borrow money from the Federal Reserve at 0% interest or even negative interest so sometimes 0% is just that.

jaxs

Equipment
B1750HST
Jun 22, 2023
Texas
Banks can borrow money from the Federal Reserve at 0% interest or even negative interest so sometimes 0% is just that.
That's an astute assessment of finances. Is that money only available for buying Kubota tractors or can it be used to buy luxury oceanfront condos in AZ?

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
That's an astute assessment of finances. Is that money only available for buying Kubota tractors or can it be used to buy luxury oceanfront condos in AZ?
I'm just making the point that banks have many advantages that we don't when it comes to the Federal Reserve and lending. Banks can get negative interest loans and then elect to not loan it out but rather use it for other purposes. The game is so rigged it's not even funny.

I have no idea if Kubota is able to do the same with the Federal Reserve or the equivalent in Japan, but the suggestion that a 0% loan is always and only a sales pitch isn't nuanced enough for the real world.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I would have to see the contract, but I suspect the 0% financing refers to the purchase price only. The insurance is to cover the loan companies money in case buyer defaults on the loan(or tractor gets stolen/damaged ) . Admin fee is to cover the dealer's time for 'paperwork' ?

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I would have to see the contract, but I suspect the 0% financing refers to the purchase price only. The insurance is to cover the loan companies money in case buyer defaults on the loan(or tractor gets stolen/damaged ) . Admin fee is to cover the dealer's time for 'paperwork' ?
In my purchase KTAC is casualty insurance for the tractor. Its optional but if declined or canceled I have to provide proof of private insurance. Total cost for the 7 year term was roughly $4K to be paid in monthly installments. If I cancel the coverage the outstanding balance is refunded. Its good casualty insurance and i dont view it as hodden interest. AFAIK there are no other fees or costs in my contract.

Dan

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
I gave you some OEM prices for 6 new fuel system parts that total $8k. That is not opinion.

My opinion based on that fact is he is facing a large financial loss no matter what he does.

The issue is how does he manage the loss to his maximum benefit.

My opinion is if you are looking at a $10K loss no matter what you do a trade in on a new fully warranted $23K tractor that you can pay down over 6 years at zero interest looks like a good way to manage the loss.

My opinion is that before making any decision he should get a second repair estimate and tradein offer from at least one other dealer snd a repair estimate from at least one independent repair shop.

My opinion is the prices he is seeing are simply reflective of dealer service costs and repair practices in general and not some unethical scam.

Dan
I'm not saying he shouldn't get another opinion. That's a definite. What I am saying, and where this back n forth started, is that I disagree with your statement:
As the owner all he can do is shop it around and thats not practical given the circumstances.
Unless you were talking about shopping the repair around. I took it as shopping the trade in.

jaxs

Equipment
B1750HST
Jun 22, 2023
Texas
We haven't really talked about the elephant in the room ,or perhaps more accurately , shikigami in the room. The notion continues to be bandied about that $1k each for injectors and $8k for complete rail kit is on par for common rail parts. You can buy new oem Duramax and Cummins injectors for $200 each or an entire rail/line/pump/injector kit for $3k before any kind of song leader and Sunday school teacher discount. That's $5k less for 6 and 8 injectors rather than only 3. I realize there's some that believe Kubota leads the industry in design but 10x as many recognize GMC's Duramax and Cummins as tall hogs at the trough. Just as important is that owners aren't at the mercy of dealer because every reputable diesel shop in town has tools to work on both. Some philosopher once said "fool me once, shame on you,fool me twice, shame on me". If I were trading the tractor in question for a new tractor I'd take a real close look at what parts cost before diving in.

Reactions: 1 user

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
You can buy new oem Duramax and Cummins injectors for $200 each or an entire rail/line/pump/injector kit for $3k before any kind of song leader and Sunday school teacher discount. That's $5k less for 6 and 8 injectors rather than only 3. I realize there's some that believe Kubota leads the industry in design but 10x as many recognize GMC's Duramax and Cummins as tall hogs at the trough.
im not smart enough to find stats, but I would guess there is way more competitive market for duramax or cummmins injectors then kubota L series injectors…

Reactions: 3 users

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
All the parts are available on ebay and amazon and you'll probably get something close to what you really need for cheap enough.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Perhaps some used parts may be available. Here's a website with Kubota parts tractors listed on FB. Might go there and inquire about what parts are needed.

jaxs

Equipment
B1750HST
Jun 22, 2023
Texas
im not smart enough to find stats, but I would guess there is way more competitive market for duramax or cummmins injectors then kubota L series injectors…
My statements are in response to implications all common rail parts are as expensive as those listed for op's tractor. Trucks were named as examples, hence I listed prices for trucks. I'm aware Kubota has the repair market cornered and said as much. Why and how Kubota controls parts availability and prices is another conversation that usually causes fur to stand up on some backs.

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
I'm aware Kubota has the repair market cornered and said as much. Why and how Kubota controls parts availability and prices is another conversation that usually causes fur to stand up on some backs.
So true.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
We haven't really talked about the elephant in the room ,or perhaps more accurately , shikigami in the room. The notion continues to be bandied about that $1k each for injectors and $8k for complete rail kit is on par for common rail parts. You can buy new oem Duramax and Cummins injectors for $200 each or an entire rail/line/pump/injector kit for $3k before any kind of song leader and Sunday school teacher discount. That's $5k less for 6 and 8 injectors rather than only 3. I realize there's some that believe Kubota leads the industry in design but 10x as many recognize GMC's Duramax and Cummins as tall hogs at the trough. Just as important is that owners aren't at the mercy of dealer because every reputable diesel shop in town has tools to work on both. Some philosopher once said "fool me once, shame on you,fool me twice, shame on me". If I were trading the tractor in question for a new tractor I'd take a real close look at what parts cost before diving in.
Dont construe anyrhing j said as indicating Kubota"s parts prices are normal or that their parts quality is exceptional. Prices are actuslly close to 10X normal and I suspect they get engine mansgement components from the usual suspects. But unlike Cummins, Perkins, or GMC they have their engines locked down with proprietary software they dont/wont readily share outside Kubota. That makes finding a third party repair service more than a little problematic.

There are dozens of third party places I could take my Cummins Ram diesel pickup to for an affordable fuel system repair and many more than that for the GDI engines in my two BMWs.

I would be happy to learn otherwise but AFAIK that is not the case with my three year old L3901. That I believe is the shikigami in the room.

Dan

Last edited:

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Yours is a good description, for the smoke and mirrors sales job of 0% interest!

Chanceywd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501DT BH77 VIRNIG URG60-CT 1950 8N
Mar 26, 2021
central ny
Yours is a good description, for the smoke and mirrors sales job of 0% interest!
When I bought the L2501 3 years ago i declined the 0% offer was then eligible for a $1400 cash discount.
My way of thinking is they show their hand doing that, there is no 0% in reality.
I got it with the gear drive as i have been using my 8n for 25 years and have done top end and split it for the clutch so could handle most repairs. With that in mind i declined the insurance too.

bill

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
When I bought the L2501 3 years ago i declined the 0% offer was then eligible for a $1400 cash discount.
My way of thinking is they show their hand doing that, there is no 0% in reality.
I got it with the gear drive as i have been using my 8n for 25 years and have done top end and split it for the clutch so could handle most repairs. With that in mind i declined the insurance too.

bill
WE THINK ALIKE !

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us

bill
Of course its not 'free" financing but you are ignoring another aspect of the deal. I look at it this way.

If I took that $20,000 up front cash purchase price and invested it @2.0% componded monthly I earn $3000 over the term of the loan. The highervthebpurchasevprice the larger the gain.

I dont have to front the purchase price which many people simply dont have and over the course of the loan I can actually realize a gain.

In my book thats a better deal and the cash rebate is the false economy.

Dan

Moose7060

Equipment
M7060, Farm King PT740, HLA 2500 Snowpusher, LandPride RCR1872, Defender HD9 XT
Oct 14, 2023
bc
Of course its not 'free" financing but you are ignoring another aspect of the deal. I look at it this way.

If I took that $20,000 up front cash purchase price and invested it @2.0% componded monthly I earn $3000 over the term of the loan. The highervthebpurchasevprice the larger the gain.

I dont have to front the purchase price which many people simply dont have and over the course of the loan I can actually realize a gain.

In my book thats a better deal and the cash rebate is the false economy.

Dan
Do you have to pay tax on your $3000.00 dollar gain or is interest income tax free there?