$16K repair bill

Sheephobbyist

Equipment
L3901, FEL, BH77
Mar 21, 2024
Kentucky
While I just registered, I have been reading the forum since 2018 when I bought my “gently” used 2013 L3901 with 50hrs at the time from a well known dealer in southern KY. It had never given me problems and I was admittedly lax on servicing.

Fast forward to now. It had been sitting since the end of last summer in the barn with a trickle charger on the battery. I bought a new house and in preparing to move it, decided to service the fuel system before attempting to start it by cleaning the water separator, replacing the fuel filter, filling with fresh diesel. Noted to have thick sticky amber residue in the water separator that I (wrongly) figured was gelled diesel. Bled the system with good fuel flow to the filter and attempted to start (mistake in hindsight). Cranked just fine but no combustion/exhaust. After several attempts, discussed with my local dealer (not the one I bought from) and took it in.

They took off injectors and found that same residue throughout the fuel system and described it as a corrosive sticky substance. Gave me three choices - replace fuel system not knowing the condition of the cylinders (at least $10K), replace engine ($16K) or trade in (looking at trade in value now). No insurance coverage.

I don’t even know what to think right now (shell shocked).

Questions
How do you value a non-running tractor like this without FEL or backhoe? I figure the FEL and backhoe are worth $6-7K combined.

It seems ridiculous to me to consider repair and I am soured on the idea of buying used.

I have 10ac so still would like to have a tractor but I have been in the house for 6 months without a need for it.

I am just looking for thoughts.
Thanks for looking.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
sigh... 'corrosive sticky substance' , man I'd love to KNOW what that is !! Aside from diesel, maybe some water , WHAT else could it be ???

Others who work on them everyday will chime in, my opinion would be to clean the injector pump and injectors, obviously the fuel lines. While injectors out, turn engine over to 'clear' the cylinders. Confirm fresh ,clean fuel gets to inj pump,prime per manual, attempt to start.

it'll be interesting to hear what others have to say.

Reactions: 1 user

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
$16k is 80% of the cost of a brand new machine. Buy a new one complete with factpry warramty at 0% for 60 months.

Dan

Reactions: 7 users

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
That sort of piques my interest. They know (sort of) what it will take to repair and still offered a trade in? Sounds almost like they are up to something.
Of course they are "up to something". . They are a tractor dealership that regularly flips trade ins for a profit. That profit gets added to the profit on the sale of the new tractor. Its a win- win business model.

Dan

Reactions: 5 users

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
Of course they are "up to something". . They are a tractor dealership that regularly flips trade ins for a profit. That profit gets added to the profit on the sale of the new tractor. Its a win- win business model.

Dan
But if they are inflating the estimated repair cost to push a customer into trading it in....
That's what I'm talking about.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
I don't think the fuel system is that complicated. I guess I'd look for a different shop if you can't do what GreensvilleJay said yourself.

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
This sounds like a typical Facebook post, a simple repair blown WAAAY out of proportion. Clean the fuel system or find a local mechanic with ethics and report back.

Reactions: 6 users

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
But if they are inflating the estimated repair cost to push a customer into trading it in....
That's what I'm talking about.
They control the pricing and it will always be tilted in their favor and totally opaque.

As the owner all he can do is shop it around and thats not practical given the circumstances.

Dan

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
They control the pricing and it will always be tilted in their favor and totally opaque.

As the owner all he can do is shop it around and thats not practical given the circumstances.

Dan
I had a very clean 10 year old Suburban K2500 454 V8 that radiator side blew out, and overheated on the Interstate (Maine).
I pulled off at the next ramp, about 500 yards ahead, (I was dragging a tandem equip. trailer) and shut it down.
Had it towed to nearest AAA repair garage (Mercedes, BMW, Mini, Smart).
They looked at it and said, engine is junk!
Needs replacement!

Called my home mechanic and asked him what to do.
He said: "have 'em put a new radiator in it, and drive on to Canada".
Kept it for another 70,000 miles, and sold it at a great price, and running just fine,....9 years later (19 years old).

My home mechanic gave me good phone advice.
I could have easily been a rip-off victim!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
They didn't earn the name of STEALerships for their honest dealings. I got burned by a local dealer that charged me $5 a piece for 2 or 3 shims and added a $25 shipping charge to the invoice for the labor to test my hydraulic system. The total came to about $400. This past week I purchased a few of those shims for my BX23S at another dealer and they were 48 cents each and in stock. The only time that I ever went back to that dealership was when I needed a part they had in stock for a snowblower that I was selling. I am not painting all Kubota dealers with a broad brush, however, some of them are just as honest as they could and should be. They can make money by being honest, but sometimes they can't resist taking advantage of people.

Reactions: 2 users

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I had a very clean 10 year old Suburban K2500 454 V8 that radiator side blew out, and overheated on the Interstate (Maine).
I pulled off at the next ramp, about 500 yards ahead, (I was dragging a tandem equip. trailer) and shut it down.
Had it towed to nearest repair garage (Mercedes, BMW, Mini, Smart).
They looked at it and said engine is likely junk!

Called my home mechanic and asked him what to do.
He said: "have 'em put a new radiator in it, and drive on to Canada".
Kept it for another 70,000 miles, and sold it at a great price, and running just fine,....9 years later (19 years old).

My home mechanic gave me good phone advice.
I could have easily been a rip-off victim!
Its not a radiator. Its a contaminated diesel common rail fuel system. So what should he replace? Who is going to supply the parts and do the work?

Dan

jaxs

Equipment
B1750HST
Jun 22, 2023
Texas
Who is going to supply the parts and do the work? Any honest diesel repair shop. This is not an uncommon thing with established procedures for cleaning. Hopefully they don't have it in a thousand pieces and can be removed from there and stored while vetting mechanics.
This would rub me so raw I'd spend a few dollars exposing dealer after tractor is fixed. There's a good chance one of the local shops would chip in to help finance an ad comparing dealer's written estimate with final repair bill.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Who is going to supply the parts and do the work? Any honest diesel repair shop. This is not an uncommon thing with established procedures for cleaning. Hopefully they don't have it in a thousand pieces and can be removed from there and stored while vetting mechanics.
This would rub me so raw I'd spend a few dollars exposing dealer after tractor is fixed. There's a good chance one of the local shops would chip in to help finance an ad comparing dealer's written estimate with final repair bill.
I will be awaiting that comparison. First thing to do would be locate a third party shop with Kubota diagnostics. I am guessing thats gping to eliminate quite a few. I just priced injectors - $1000 each. The common rail is another $1600.

Bottom line is dealer service is expensive whether its Kubota, BMW, Mercedes, Cadillac, or even a Ford or Chevy.

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
Take it to another dealer. I'd suspect that your dealer is full of it. He thinks that you just fell off of the turnip truck.

Sticky substance, maybe. But CORROSIVE Sticky substance? Hogwash. Corrosive to what? Steel? Coka Cola is a sticky corrosive substance!

10K for a new fuel system? Hogwash.

Don't tell the dealer that you are taking it to another dealer. They usually all know each other.

I've had very good and honest dealings with Kubota dealers. My impression is Kubota won't put up with shady dealerships.

Did you take it to a Kubota dealer?

A quick rule: Never tell the dealer what you found, unless you trust the dealer 100 percent. You might say, "The fuel looks sticky". And Bam! He's already got you thinking it's a real bad situation. The fish is already biting the bait, all he has to do is yank and reel it in.

He'll low low low ball your trade in. Then he'll fix your tractor in a day with fuel system cleaner and an injector or 3. And sell it at market value. Probably 5 times what he gives you for it. You'll have a new tractor, but you will have lost big money.

Last edited:

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
welcome to common rail systems…
@Fordtech86, It's a 2013 tractor.

I had my entire fuel system on my 2014 BMW 328D, (diesel) replaced in 2018. It was $8,000.

A bad batch of fuel pumps in Germany. The fuel pump shot metal shavings into the fuel. Basically, because USA diesel has fewer lubricants than Euro diesel fuel does. The filters caught the metal shavings, but...

BMW replaced the Entire system... Including Fuel tank, hard and soft lines, pump, filters, injectors and engine rails. EVERYTHING.

BMW covered it, all of it. 100 percent. And it was after the warranty expired.

No way a Kubota tractor is a $10 grand fuel system replace. Unless it includes has all the smog junk. Which it doesn't.

If it's true, you mechanic technicians are overpaid.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
@Fordtech86, It's a 2013 tractor.
A 3901 is common rail though 🤷‍♂️ not sure if the op has year right or not, or model right, or if they even a real person…bots/AI have been crazy here lately it seems.

edit to add since you did 😂: on the bmw, welcome to manufacturers pricing when they foot the bill for their mistake 🤣.

not trying to turn this into a pissing match, I’m glad you came back here!

Last edited:

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia

Dan
I disagree. Thats not all he can do. He could replace the fuel system himself. If it doesn't work, it's still a broken tractor. It's a risk I would certainly take.

Reactions: 3 users

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA

Dan
sometimes. Trade-in's are always a bit of a gamble.

common rail engine repairs can and easily do run the bill up, quickly, and dramatically. For this reason alone, people need to learn to maintain them better and be more diligent with fuel quality. But I also don't agree with emissions on tractors.

Reactions: 1 user