B1700 Starting Issues

buzter

Aug 7, 2010
SD
I just purchased a B1700 and when you try to start it some times, it just clicks once and nothing..wondering why this is?

Buz

B7100

Equipment
B7100,B7100 with Backhoe and FEL, Goldoni Quad 20
Feb 11, 2010
Wales
I just purchased a B1700 and when you try to start it some times, it just clicks once and nothing..wondering why this is?

Buz
Start with the easy things:
Is the battery fully charged?
Clean the battery terminals and conections at both ends of the + and - leads,refit and make sure they are tight.
See how you get on with that and if no joy,report back
Dave

buzter

Aug 7, 2010
SD
Battery good..terminals cleaned..cleaned terminals at starter also with electrical cleaner, cleaned terminals under dash also with electrical spray cleaner...I'm at a loss

BUZ

handyman

Equipment
Kubota B7100HST-E
Sep 18, 2009
Dayton,Tn.
Buzter first take battery off and clean battery cables good with a steel brush dont forget the hole for post to fit on bat. . Make sure ground cable going to frame is clean and tight. Check hot cable (positive) going to starter make sure its not corrosion and green check it also to make sure its tight on starter and clean. If you want take it to a auto parts place and have it tested for a bad cell also make sure its charged just because you can get 12 volts on it with a multimeter does not mean it is good under load. Hope this helps and makes sense.handy

handyman

Equipment
Kubota B7100HST-E
Sep 18, 2009
Dayton,Tn.
I see B7100 beat me to an answer . If you havent already done so take it to auto parts place have it tested thats the easiest if it test good you have other electrical issues. Then people will give other suggestions if not before.handy

B7100

Equipment
Feb 11, 2010
Wales
You are saying take the starter to get checked? possible Solinoid maybe??

BUZ
Before you do that you can try a few more things:
Turn on the headlights with someone watching them or place a mirror in front and hit the starter..if the lights die then the battery is probably flat or duff(if your sure the terminals are really clean and tight)

Does the solenoid click click click or just click if you hold the key in the start position? there are futher tests for diagnosis but require you to make a few sparks and you need a steady hand:D
Dave

buzter

Aug 7, 2010
SD
Terminals tight..and very clean..when you turn the key it just clicks once...haven't tried the headlight thing..but once you can get it not to click...it starts right up...no problem..not like a dead battery..

BUZ

B7100

Equipment
Feb 11, 2010
Wales
Terminals tight..and very clean..when you turn the key it just clicks once...haven't tried the headlight thing..but once you can get it not to click...it starts right up...no problem..not like a dead battery..

BUZ
The solenoid works by an electro magnetic switch which depending on the type of motor serves one or two functions.
One makes a ciruit between the terminal that comes from the battery to the terminal that goes to the starter motor windings with a thick copper contact .
The other moves a bendix gear driven by the SM into the ring gear to turn the engine
My guess is when you hear the click the copper contact is moving but only joining them together intermittantly so the contact is dirty,burnt or both .
You can test this your self,do you have a multimeter?
Dave

buzter

Aug 7, 2010
SD
The solenoid works by an electro magnetic switch which depending on the type of motor serves one or two functions.
One makes a ciruit between the terminal that comes from the battery to the terminal that goes to the starter motor windings with a thick copper contact .
The other moves a bendix gear driven by the SM into the ring gear to turn the engine
My guess is when you hear the click the copper contact is moving but only joining them together intermittantly so the contact is dirty,burnt or both .
You can test this your self,do you have a multimeter?
Dave
yes, I have a multimeter..but you lost me on some things...I understand the workings of the solenoid...but not sure what you are saying on the copper contact moving?? Do you mean the wire to the bushings in the starter?

B7100

Equipment
Feb 11, 2010
Wales
yes, I have a multimeter..but you lost me on some things...I understand the workings of the solenoid...but not sure what you are saying on the copper contact moving?? Do you mean the wire to the bushings in the starter?
Tha solenoid is a high speed switch .Inside it on the other side of the two large terminals they have a flat surface,the copper contact bridges them together to get the power from the battery to the SM windings for it to turn.
and this or the flat surfaces burn, I have taken many of these apart and resurfaced them to get them working again but it would not be classed as anormal DIY job.
I am not familular with your machine so will try to give you a generic test method
If your system is -ve earth......disconnect the -ve batery terminal then +ve battery lead and to sure,the other end of the lead at the solenoid and reconnect the battery -ve lead(this is for safety in case you short the +ve to ground with your wrench)
Connect and ohms meter between the two large terminals on the solenoid(one of them is one you have just taken the lead off)
Connect a piece of insulated wire to the +ve battery terminal (dont touch any body or frame parts) and touch the other end on the solenoid switch terminal. The solenoid should click..have a look at the meter for a low ohms reading.
If you do not get anything the contacts are not making contact and probably burnt.

dave

Last edited:

buzter

Aug 7, 2010
SD
Tha solenoid is a high speed switch .Inside it on the other side of the two large terminals they have a flat surface,the copper contact bridges them together to get the power from the battery to the SM windings for it to turn.
and this or the flat surfaces burn, I have taken many of these apart and resurfaced them to get them working again but it would not be classed as anormal DIY job.
I am not familular with your machine so will try to give you a generic test method
If your system is -ve earth......disconnect the -ve batery terminal then +ve battery lead and to sure,the other end of the lead at the solenoid and reconnect the battery -ve lead(this is for safety in case you short the +ve to ground with your wrench)
Connect and ohms meter between the two large terminals on the solenoid(one of them is one you have just taken the lead off)
Connect a piece of insulated wire to the +ve battery terminal (dont touch any body or frame parts) and touch the other end on the solenoid switch terminal. The solenoid should click..have a look at the meter for a low ohms reading.
If you do not get anything the contacts are not making contact and probably burnt.

dave
I will give this a try Dave..thanks for the help

buzter

Aug 7, 2010
SD
took the starter off last night...the solenoid is a one piece, cant get into it like a good ol chevy one...took it off the starter...spring and plunger inside...looks fine...I did notice that the two poles on the solenoid are a little loose which usually is not good..but put it all back together...tried starting a few times..and each time it took off...no click...could be a fluke...but who knows...I would guess one of those solenoid is probably a pretty penny looks like it was made by mitabitchi got their logo on it anyway

orange1021

Aug 28, 2010
champaign, IL
I just posted the same problem and then read this post. How does one use multimeter to check the soleinod? If I fast pump the :clutch: on my hydrostatic B1700 it will usually start, wondering if the op has tried this? still does not fix the problem

B7100

Equipment
Feb 11, 2010
Wales
Dave- could you please explain where/what is the solenoid switch terminal. is it one of the two large wire terminals?
thanks
Del
Its usually a thin wire on the solenoid that is powered when you turn the key to the start position , when you power it from the +ve battery terminal it bypasses all other cicuites and switches including safety interlocks that prevent the tractor from starting when in gear or clutch pedal not depressed .
The two large terminals are the ones to connect the ohms meter across having first disconnected the main +ve lead at the battery.
Dave

Last edited:

JWB

Jan 3, 2010
florida
Some of the kubota start switches go bad. They actually get loose on the back part of the switch. This causes the selinoid to no draw in hard enough to make contact. My l245 does this. I have to usually make it click three times before it will start. Try a remote starter button see if that works reliably.

JWB

B7100

Equipment
Feb 11, 2010
Wales
Some of the kubota start switches go bad. They actually get loose on the back part of the switch. This causes the selinoid to no draw in hard enough to make contact. My l245 does this. I have to usually make it click three times before it will start. Try a remote starter button see if that works reliably.

JWB
JWB, a bypass wire from the battery +ve to the solenoid switch wire terminal does the same thing if the main +ve battery lead is left connected but one has to be very sure the tractor is out of gear!
dave