Fueling my L3800 sucks !

TexasBoy

Equipment
Kubota M7060 HDC12 & L4600DT
Dec 11, 2013
Central Texas
I got tired of the fuel jug thing and put together a small transfer tank.

Built a strong pallet for the tank out of treated material so I can easily put the entire thing in the back of my truck with the FE loader and pallet forks when its time to refill the tank.

Then put a 12V Fill-Rite on the tank, a water & sediment filter and filled 'er up with red Ag diesel.

I bought some 10awg stranded, waterproof/insulated cable from the electrical parts house, and ran it straight from the battery on the L4600 (covered with the correct size wire-loom to further protect it) to a place where its easy to connect to without opening the tractors hood. So when its time to refuel, drive up to the tank, connect the pump cable to the 12V power on the L4600 (the Fill-Rite comes with a long cable), and fill 'er up. Refueling is now super easy.

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
I am going to Central Texas next time I need gas... :)

Any idea what that piggy weighs full?

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
Nice setup TexasBoy!

It's out of my price range but nice nonetheless!

Lots of Texas folks on this board. When I finally retire and get out there permanently, we'll have to have a git tagether!

TexasBoy

Equipment
Kubota M7060 HDC12 & L4600DT
Dec 11, 2013
Central Texas
Any idea what that piggy weighs full?
Diesel is about 8 lbs per gallon and that is a 96 gallon tank. I put 95 gallons in it when I refill so that is about 760 lbs. Add in the pallet and pump probably around 800 lbs if I had to guess. Wasnt any problem lifting it off the truck bed when I came back from the bulk fuel station.

clay45

Equipment
L2050DT, TSC 5ft Rake, Tartar 5ft rototiller, TSC Middlebuster, TSC CarryAll
Feb 6, 2015
SC
I think diesel is likely closer to 6 lbs/gallon since water is 8lbs/gallon. Still heavy.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
If you go to the trucker's forum, they know their fuel weights so they get maximum loads.

They say imperial gal of diesel is 8#/gallon
diesel is 7.2# (US gallons)
water is 8.3# (US gallons)
gasoline is 5.8-6.5# ([US gallons)

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
TexasBoy, regardless of what fuel weights, your tractor will pick the thing up, it looks good, and it works without wearing you out. Nice job!

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
Thanks!

I thought it might be a 152 gallon tank! Couldn't make out the sticker!!!

:)

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I use a set of these cans at work. Thinking seriously about getting one for the house. Can doesn't start pouring till you squeeze the handle. And you can control the flow by how much you move the valve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GaryL

Equipment
2003 BX2200 - loader, mower, blower, grss collection system
Nov 22, 2014
Holden, MA
I have to admit, I did not read all 12 pages, but i wanted to add a suggestion if it has not already been mentioned. I have both the No-Spill brand and the typical piece of garbage EPA regulated nozzle cans. The No-Spill cans are great, but to make them better, put in a vent hole. You can buy gas can vents online from ebay for cheap. The gas/diesel flows out incredibly fast. Can fill 5 gallons in under a minute. The other cans, the vent causes gas to leak from the nozzle vent, so I replaced those with the EZ-Pour replacement spouts. I use storage caps when not in use. Wow...They look like the gas cans of the past, which worked better, for longer. These new ones spill more gas from the POS nozzles than any environmental savings they would ever provide. Hope it helps.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Last edited:

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I use a set of these cans at work. Thinking seriously about getting one for the house. Can doesn't start pouring till you squeeze the handle. And you can control the flow by how much you move the valve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Daren,

for the cost of it, and you cannot find them anymore, that RED container is the lick - I like that can and the bigger version of it, first thing to do is drill a small 1/4 hole in the top - place a piece of 1/4" plastic tubing in the hole allow it to stick in about 3" and out the same. The hose is a tight fit. Place a nail/screw or whatever in the hose. It vents at a rate that is usable , yet does NOT burp and throw gas out either. I have use 3 containers like this for the last ten years.....
the handle on the back is the best part!

Attachments

lreops

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3400DT W/ LA463 FEL and L235DT W/ BF400 Loader
Dec 26, 2011
Rising Sun, Maryland
I think that this approach is probably the best that I've seen. I've tried many different approaches with dealing with venting these newer containers and most times still get some spillage from the vent because of its low profile and getting the angle right to fill whatever I'm filling. With this method, the extension of the valve stem offers the extra height in venting that a greater tip of the container can be accomplished.

Check out this link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lcnwdIYEfI

That's my 2½¢ worth of brain activity.

Ron

bcuster

Equipment
B2650 w/ cab, FEL, BH, 63" snowblower w/ extensions, grapple, forks, box blade
Jul 10, 2015
State College, PA
Since I will have a fork lift when I get my B2650 soon, here's my plan....

1. A 55 gal metal drum (or maybe a plastic drum I also have)
2. A Fill-Rite FR112 hand operated rotary pump (to control fuel flow better), plus no need for electric:
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200129224_200129224

3. Two stacked pallets. The bottom with a solid top to set the barrel on, and a second pallet nailed to the bottom pallet, and using a jig saw to cut out a hole big enough to support the drum that is set down in the hole.

When a refiill is needed, use the fork lifts to move it to a trailer and to the gas station. Since the refuel pallet will be on a conrete floor of a heated garage, I plan to put locking caster wheels under the pallet to make it easier to move closer to tractor. Plus standing on the pallet should get me higher than the hood to look in the fill neck to avoid overfilling.

My question is how to install a fuel/water filter on this style pump??

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
You can get a fuel filter base either off ebay, or through your local auto parts store. If you go the auto parts store route, just make sure and talk to the manager or assistant manager. They are more knowledgeable then the kid fresh out of school.

Hooking them up is a breeze. Just unscrew the hose. Then you add a pipe nipple where you unscrewed the discharge hose. Screw the base to the nipple. Then on the other side just screw the discharge hose in. Nipple will either be a 1/2npt or 3/4npt depending on the size of the hand pump. I'll edit in a pick of our electric fuel pump's filter and base in a few :D

Last edited:

Benhameen

Equipment
2012 Kubota L3800 HST W/FEL and 1963 JD 2010 row crop utility
Jan 27, 2013
Southern IL.
All of my fueling woe's went away when the local Casey's General Store added diesel fuel. woohoo!!

Now its either 3/4 of a mile on the road or threw the woods and over the ditch to fuel up.