Comparing the U25S to U35-4, some strange things

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Don't rule out the battery powered Lincoln. Mine is about 15 or so years old and still works fine, just need another set of batteries.

Jfet

Apr 7, 2017
Monroe, WA
Jeez, it is like 50 grease points or something. Each time I would double check I would find another one. Tricky hidden ones like the one in the middle of the other two on the bucket pivot.

She is all greased up now and ready to dig.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
My advise:

Keep it greased and use a quality grease. If I use mine a lot I grease every day. Even if it's just one shot per fitting I want fresh grease. If it's in water I grease a couple times a day.

Previous owner of mine didn't believe in grease and now I'm paying the price.

Flienlow

Equipment
Kubota BX25D, Kubota U25 mini EX, SVL75,Landpride Grapple,Landpride grading scra
Mar 9, 2015
snohomish
My advise:

Keep it greased and use a quality grease. If I use mine a lot I grease every day. Even if it's just one shot per fitting I want fresh grease. If it's in water I grease a couple times a day.

Previous owner of mine didn't believe in grease and now I'm paying the price.
Sage advice.

Jfet

Apr 7, 2017
Monroe, WA
Wow, the float feature on the dozer blade of the U35-4 seals the deal. We used it to fully level about 150 feet of road we roughed out using the hoe (pulled out some small trees and took down some 2 foot hills to make a level road). A week or more of work with a shovel done in 3 hours of machine time.

I need to get a big timber to use with the bucket/thumb for final smoothing but the float feature actually does a reasonable job by itself.

So much power from such a small machine (25hp).

Today we are going to start tackling the half of a mile of gravel road on our property that has 2 inch diameter saplings growing in it. The road is good but has obviously not been used in about 5 to 6 years.

Flienlow

Equipment
Kubota BX25D, Kubota U25 mini EX, SVL75,Landpride Grapple,Landpride grading scra
Mar 9, 2015
snohomish
Nice! I have been using rail road ties for grading. I doubt they will last long with a 35, but you wanna give it a try. I did use them on a u55, but that had too much power and broke it. They work great for my 25. It works much better than a landscape rake for my BX25.
I changed the oil in the hoe today. I only got 3 quarts out of 5 which concerns me a lot. I dont know if the previous owner under filled it or what. What is odd is that it didnt show low on oil so I will need to keep an eye on it. When I greased it, the thumb fitting opening was too small for my grease gun nipple to fit in so I will need to buy a smaller gun for that opening. I thought that was odd too. Other than that, I cleared some brush with it today and made some swails to redirect some ground water, and well as dug a trench for drainage. I really like having a track hoe!! It does so much my bx cant do. Although I will say that there is a need for both.

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
Nice excavator and truck Jfet. How do you get the camper on and off? Does it have legs?

Jfet

Apr 7, 2017
Monroe, WA
Nice excavator and truck Jfet. How do you get the camper on and off? Does it have legs?
When we welded up the steel frame for the camper we put in three tubes welded on each corner. We then made a 3 prong bracket attached to a truck jack which slides into the tubes at each corner. We store the 4 jacks under the truck in one of the 4 foot long aluminum boxes.

Attachments

Jfet

Apr 7, 2017
Monroe, WA
Today we used the U35-4 to pull weeds.

Well, small trees actually, that were growing in the gravel road on our property.

The trees that were larger than about 1 inch I am now able to quickly and deftly grab with the bucket and pinch with the thumb, which meshes against the 24 inch bucket between the 2nd, middle, and 4th tooth. The trees that are about 3/4" are a problem. They slip out of the grip of the bucket and thumb. Some of them I can just hand pull, but others are really root bound in the larger rock of the gravel driveway. I can cut them off with shears but I don't like leaving a sharp point in the drive for the heavy Isuzu/camper to drive over. This means I have to dig around the base and cut them off below ground level.

The U35-4 is awesome on the 1" and larger trees though. A 3 inch tree, which is too big for my snips, is effortless and quick to yank straight up with the hoe. I have it down to about 10 to 20 seconds per tree. It is the little buggers that are bugging me.

What I need is a flat plate on the bucket and matching plate on the thumb, so I could pinch and pull even the smallest saplings.

Obviously I could just dig up each one but the gravel driveway is really in great shape other than the trees growing in it. It makes much less of a mess pulling the tree out of the ground straight up.

Dozing with the blade doesn't work. The saplings just bend down and spring back up. A flail mower would probably work, but with no enclosed cab I would get pelted by rocks? Also there is no near rental place for that attachment.

I guess I will just use the excavator to pull up the larger trees and do the dig around and snip on the small ones. Going to take awhile to clear this last 1/3 mile...

If I had my machine shop still where we built the RV, I would make the pincer plate idea.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
On the smaller trees take the back of your bucket and push them over enough that it's in between 2 teeth. Swing to either side just enough that the tooth can wrap around the tree and curl the bucket. I know my explaining sux but you can pull very small trees up like this and save yourself lots of time. I can grip small saplings no bigger than my finger without any problem.

Flienlow

Equipment
Mar 9, 2015
snohomish
Can you please post a picture of the Filter wrench that came with your hoe? I would like to email to the former owner of mine to see if she has it. Would really appreciate it.

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
When we welded up the steel frame for the camper we put in three tubes welded on each corner. We then made a 3 prong bracket attached to a truck jack which slides into the tubes at each corner. We store the 4 jacks under the truck in one of the 4 foot long aluminum boxes.
That a really nice setup Jfet. Thanks for showing.

Jfet

Apr 7, 2017
Monroe, WA
What is the technique for spinning the excavator tracks 90 or 180 in medium rocky road (2" to 3" rocks) without using the track motors much? Twisting in place using the tracks makes a mess and gets rocks lodged and crushed into the drive sprockets which can't be good for them. I know there is a technique to lift the machine with the boom/arm/bucket and then spin? but I can't find a good video of it being done on a mini. Do you also use the dozer blade or keep it up in the air?

Flienlow

Equipment
Mar 9, 2015
snohomish
What is the technique for spinning the excavator tracks 90 or 180 in medium rocky road (2" to 3" rocks) without using the track motors much? Twisting in place using the tracks makes a mess and gets rocks lodged and crushed into the drive sprockets which can't be good for them. I know there is a technique to lift the machine with the boom/arm/bucket and then spin? but I can't find a good video of it being done on a mini. Do you also use the dozer blade or keep it up in the air?
So... This is where my little girl falls short. (I dont have any foot pedals which makes it tough) The only way I know to do this is to
1. Put boom down and lift ex up off most of the tracks.
2. depending on direction, you then use foot pedals 1 going forward, the other going back, and then simultaneously turn the turret in opposite direction. This point the tracks where you want them.

Jfet

Apr 7, 2017
Monroe, WA
So... This is where my little girl falls short. (I dont have any foot pedals which makes it tough) The only way I know to do this is to
1. Put boom down and lift ex up off most of the tracks.
2. depending on direction, you then use foot pedals 1 going forward, the other going back, and then simultaneously turn the turret in opposite direction. This point the tracks where you want them.
Thanks! That makes a lot of sense now. I will try it tomorrow.

Jfet

Apr 7, 2017
Monroe, WA
On the smaller trees take the back of your bucket and push them over enough that it's in between 2 teeth. Swing to either side just enough that the tooth can wrap around the tree and curl the bucket. I know my explaining sux but you can pull very small trees up like this and save yourself lots of time. I can grip small saplings no bigger than my finger without any problem.
I did try this technique after you suggested it and while it did seem to work initially, I started to have failure in the tree (it would snap as I bent them over).

I have now moved to raking the gravel/rock road with the bucket when there are a lot of under 1/2" saplings which seems to loosen them enough that I can jump out and pull them up by hand. Anything over 1/2 inch is easy to pull with the bucket/thumb now that I have practice.

Jfet

Apr 7, 2017
Monroe, WA
What do you guys think about pulling a small trailer behind the U35? Something that would hold maybe 3/4 yard of dirt (which would be about 8 to 10 scoops of the 24" bucket).

Obviously the point where the mini lacks is moving dirt from one area to another when grading out an area for our pole barn. I want to take down a small hill and move the dirt to a wallow about 80 feet away. This is beyond the swing range of the boom even with several moves.

Would it hurt anything in the drive train for the U35 to pull about 2000 pounds of trailer and dirt across fairly level ground? The U25 has more drawbar pull (which is the strange thing I started this thread about) but the U35 has over 6000 pounds. I figure it only needs about 1000 to 2000 of that to move itself on level ground.

2 wheel trailer or 4 wheel trailer? With a 4 wheel trailer you could make a yoke you grab with the bucket/thumb and tug it along. Actually using that setup you could pull a lot more than 2000 pounds along a path...slowly.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Some are stronger than others but it comes to a point you have no choice but to do it by hand. I wish I could explain it better but I hope that helped out. It's like anything else it just takes practice. Have fun and be safe with your new machine.