Gear driven vs. hydrostatic

filix

Mar 23, 2015
arundel
Is it true you loose some hp with a hydrostatic vs. a gear driven tractor? If so How much? Say both tractors were 25 hp.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
I've had both. A HST loses some power through the drivetrain, but not enough to be of consequence. The advantages of an HST far outweighs this negligable amount.
These aren't sports cars. Both systems get the work done. For me, the difference would be if the HST suffered pto power, which it doesn't- it is direct drive from the clutch, just like a gear transmission.

I am a huge fan of a manual transmission in an automobile. But, I am completely sold on HST in a tractor. My 16 hp B7100 does so much work, I can't imagine that a gear transmission would make it more productive. Couple that with the greatest advantage- immediate, infinite speed change while tilling and mowing, for instance- and HST shines.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I've had both. A HST loses some power through the drivetrain, but not enough to be of consequence. The advantages of an HST far outweighs this negligable amount.
These aren't sports cars. Both systems get the work done. For me, the difference would be if the HST suffered pto power, which it doesn't- it is direct drive from the clutch, just like a gear transmission.

I am a huge fan of a manual transmission in an automobile. But, I am completely sold on HST in a tractor. My 16 hp B7100 does so much work, I can't imagine that a gear transmission would make it more productive. Couple that with the greatest advantage- immediate, infinite speed change while tilling and mowing, for instance- and HST shines.

Hodge took the words outta my mouth - everything he said is exactly how I feel too

however - HST do have a little less PTO HP - if you look at two same tractors....at 25 hp
gear might be 22 hp at pto
HST might be 20.5 or something like that......

AS hodge said - it depends on how the PTO gets its power......

The advantages outweigh the disadvantages by a huge number.

some more info on subject matter :

http://www.mytractorforum.com/76-cu...9147-hst-shuttle-shift-gear-transmission.html

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
If it makes a big difference to your pocketbook, you can do anything with gear drive that you can with a hydrostat. It just takes more thought to work the gear drive properly.

If it doesn't make much of a difference to the wallet and you like thinking about the tractor less, then HST is the way to go.

I have a gear drive and work it well, but I'm used to gears so I'm pretty quick with it. I don't think I lose much time in work by comparison to an HST but I did have to think and work at it to be efficient.

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
They both work fine, so buy what you like...

I like gear drive better and may never own a HST, but that's just me. :cool:

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
Gear vs HST
R1 vs R4
Types of oil & synthetic vs dyno etc

Put 100 people in a room and 50 will swear by one and the other will swear at it. All three are great for starting a lively debate.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
MHO is if your planning on doing a lot of FEL work the Hydro would be a better choice,, and I have used both but the hydro has it hands down in my book

Tallahassee Kubota Man

Equipment
M5140HD/LA1153/LandPride RCF2072/DirtDog disc/RakeMaster grapple/Caroni tiller
I've had a HST for years and love it for loader work, quick change of direction and infinite speed control when mowing. When I decided to get a larger tractor one thing I thought was I wouldn't have a tractor without HST. What I found out was that I couldn't get a Kubota with HST that was heavy enough for the implements I wanted to use and the upper HP L models were quite pricey.

Long story short was I settled for a hydro-shuttle gear tranny in the M5140. It's taken some getting used to, but I can do most of the tasks I did with the old L3010 at nearly the same speed. With the hydro-shuttle you can change direction while moving. As others have said it just takes some getting used to and you get more proficient with practice. One thing that impressed me on the older tractor was how tuff the HST trannys are. I use it commercially, worked it hard and it never let me down.

Sorry to get a little off topic from the OP's original question. :)

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Gear vs HST
R1 vs R4
Types of oil & synthetic vs dyno etc

Put 100 people in a room and 50 will swear by one and the other will swear at it. All three are great for starting a lively debate.
You forgot some...
Ford vs. Chevrolet
Stihl vs. Husqvarna
which tire is best
Glock vs. any other gun

DocGP

Sep 17, 2014
SE TX
Own both. Have had a shuttle shift L3010 for about 12-15 yrs. She is my old stand by friend. Never had any problems with gear drive. Now a MX5100 with HST. After a few months with the HST, would convert the old one in a heartbeat if I could. She will be going no where, but I like the HST that much.

BUT, as has been said, everyone has their own take on it!! Both are GREAT tractors.

Doc

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I have a gear, but I'm not apposed to HST, with one minor qualification- If my gear tranny goes out, I would not give a second thought to diving in & fixing it.
With an HST, i'm told they are expensive & complicated to repair. I have no experience mind you, just what I've been told. But if you're not likely to repair either on your own, this becomes a moot point.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Wait a minute this was making sense to me until you thru the Glock one in now I am confused..........
Are none of you guys gun enthusiasts? To some Glock fanboys, any other gun is just a paperweight.

virginiavenom

Jan 30, 2015
Sherman, TX
Are none of you guys gun enthusiasts? To some Glock fanboys, any other gun is just a paperweight.
Glock guys are like apple nutswingers, everything else is junk.....funny thing though. I was at the range about 2 weeks ago with my Springfield XDM which I have well over 2000 rounds through without a single FTF or FTE and am pretty bad about cleaning it after every outing.....a guy who is a noted "glock guy" just bought a new one....no idea what model. 2 mags in he had simultaneous FTE, FTF, FTF, FTF. very entertaining. I told him he should have bought a real gun....lol.

I'm not discriminatory, as long as it is a quality gun. I have no ill will towards glocks, typically they are a good gun. springfield, sig, beretta, S&W, Glock, H&K etc etc etc. all make nice side arms....hell many of those have been making guns WAY longer and way more guns than glock does. my next will be a Sig. I have all but a glock from the above I listed so far. my AR is a Sig and seems extremely well made.

personally, HST I've yet to see problems out of many HST units. look at zero turn mowers, they aren't usually super high end stuff and that's usually the least serviced item and almost never have an issue....to me, if it breaks, fix it. it's far too functional to many to sweat it breaking.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Glock guys are like apple nutswingers, everything else is junk.....funny thing though. I was at the range about 2 weeks ago with my Springfield XDM which I have well over 2000 rounds through without a single FTF or FTE and am pretty bad about cleaning it after every outing.....a guy who is a noted "glock guy" just bought a new one....no idea what model. 2 mags in he had simultaneous FTE, FTF, FTF, FTF. very entertaining. I told him he should have bought a real gun....lol.

I'm not discriminatory, as long as it is a quality gun. I have no ill will towards glocks, typically they are a good gun. springfield, sig, beretta, S&W, Glock, H&K etc etc etc. all make nice side arms....hell many of those have been making guns WAY longer and way more guns than glock does. my next will be a Sig. I have all but a glock from the above I listed so far. my AR is a Sig and seems extremely well made.

personally, HST I've yet to see problems out of many HST units. look at zero turn mowers, they aren't usually super high end stuff and that's usually the least serviced item and almost never have an issue....to me, if it breaks, fix it. it's far too functional to many to sweat it breaking.
I am partial to Sig Sauer, but I recognize that there are many good guns out there to own and trust. Same with tractors. I love my Kubota, and I would be partial to another one. But, I could find value in other brands. Same with transmissions- I can make either work, and see virtue in both. So, I would never say that one is the only way. I would say that for MY use, HST serves me better.

Last edited:

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
One consideration might be which type would be easier to sell after you are finished with it? I asked a couple dealers that question since I think I might wear out long before the tractor does, and the answer was, in my area where there are a lot of folks with small acreages, was HST.
I made the jump from a Ford 8N with clutch and brakes that used to leave my legs aching after a day of use (stiff springs and had to stand on the brakes to stop it) and I am grateful for the HST.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
"Now my other son will throw rocks before he uses a Glock"

Now that's funny.

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
HST reliability: Hate to beat the "mort pony" but, I watched rampers try and destroy HST Kubotas at my airline. Never heard of any failures. You watch a tug pulling a train of four empty baggage running full forward speed to full reverse as the rear tires start spinning backwards while the tires smoke and the train comes to a stop. Then, after hooking up a fifth cart, full forward pedal smokes the rear tires again and off it goes. Fourteen hours a day and I never heard of a HST failure. It may be loud but, its stout.

Gun suggestion for everyone: Get a Dremel tool and polish your feed ramps. Biggest reliability problem I see in my classes is brand new guns with rough feed ramps that stop the "magic." Feel your ramp before starting, using your fingernail.

Start out with the wire wheel and, pressing lightly, buff off the iron oxide finish until its shiny steel. Then, chuck in a felt bullet and wipe some Simichrome or Flitz polish into the felt and on the lowest speed, gently buff the feed ramp and breech. Massage the sharp edges of the breech until they are chrome as well. Takes a whole five minutes. Now scrape the ramp and breech edges with your fingernail: Massive difference. Keep these polished areas slightly lubricated between cleanings and you will reduce FTF issues by 95%. Promise.

Had a friend with a brand new S&W 40. Great gun. Wouldn't feed for crap. Buffed the ramp and then used Simichrome on the slide rails and cycled it for about 15 minutes. Cleaned it up and re-lubed it. He has never had another malfunction.

This was a hard picture to take... Look closely at the sharp edge of the breech for a shine. The edge (as much as I can get to) is polished all the way around. The feed ramp looks like a mirror. And the first quarter inch of the breech is polished as well allowing the bullet to slide in effortlessly.

Easy in-easy out: The key to reliability. Works for semi-auto rifles too.

Attachments

Last edited: