Gear driven vs. hydrostatic

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
From about post #23 this thread has been hijacked. Why don't the guns and ammo discussion start another thread? Be fair to the original poster.
Fair enough, I never saw the OP respond or join in the discussion after several on point posts, so I guess we just sort of wandered off, not unusual on Internet forums, but if it upsets you, I'll certainly give that due consideration.

virginiavenom

Jan 30, 2015
Sherman, TX
From about post #23 this thread has been hijacked. Why don't the guns and ammo discussion start another thread? Be fair to the original poster.
the question is really opinion. hydro vs gear. I don't think you can go wrong with either. hydro is more maintenance, but is faster at a few tasks.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
The question has also been answered/debated many, many times before. Sorry about the derailment- as Triple said, the OP hasn't been giving input, and the thread took a more interesting (to me) direction. So, back to the regularily scheduled program.

There are tons of threads to be searched on hydro vs. gear, and it will never be settled. It is obvious, though, that the majority of buyers want hydro- Kubota, and other manufacturers, market and sell many more hydro models than gear drive. Kubota doesn't even offer a gear option for the BX series, and I'm sure that other manufacturers think the same way. Go where the money is.
That isn't to say which one is better, but certainly which one is more popular. Which then brings up resale- hydro will appeal to more prospective buyers.

Looking through Kubota's webpage/specs, there are very few current models that you can get with a manual transmission. It looks like the smallest model is the L3200. Previously, you could get the B2320 in a gear transmission.

Last edited:

Orange Turbo

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX5100, pto13000kw, Loader, Ripper,Plow,Disc,Mower,Forks,3pt spreader,Box Blade.
Feb 2, 2015
Mo
Gear here, I live on a hill and have the option of pop starting if need be.:D
If I was doing hourly work it would be HYDRO all the way.
just my opinion.......... As was said, ask 10 people and you will get 10 diff answers, :D

A.O.

Equipment
L3540HST LA724 FEL
Feb 6, 2015
South Carolina
Interesting how mentioning a Glock causes a huge rabbit-chase...
Then again, the gear vs. hydro thing has been hashed some many times, it's nice to talk about something else. Anybody into AR's? I just got my first one recently.
AR's are kind of passé arent they, heck everybody has one these days.. Get you a Scar... now thats a gun!!:D:D:D

Sorry, couldn't help myself!

A.O.

Equipment
L3540HST LA724 FEL
Feb 6, 2015
South Carolina
apologies to the OP!

Started reading and got all caught up with the gun stuff.

I started with older gear drive fords, cases, etc, got a M5400 gear drive, then a L3010 with the GST trans, sort of in between the gear and HST. Just bought my 3rd Kubota in row, a Grand L3540 HST.
I thank myself every time I drive it I waited to find the HST.. Man I love it!!

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
To Hodge's point, there are many ways to evaluate the choice of Hydro vs. Gear. He's pointing out popularity and that is probably an extremely common way to choose. It is getting a little harder to find the gear only units.

But what really matters is your needs. There are advantages and issues with both systems. Educate yourself and determine what you need.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
To Hodge's point, there are many ways to evaluate the choice of Hydro vs. Gear. He's pointing out popularity and that is probably an extremely common way to choose. It is getting a little harder to find the gear only units.

But what really matters is your needs. There are advantages and issues with both systems. Educate yourself and determine what you need.
And, hopefully Kubota will still continue to provide the option of gear or hydro. Choice is good.

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
Not to derail this thread like those "evil gun owners" like to do... (Love the pics!!! We gotta start a thread on gun pics... :) )...

After selling my manual Ford F1700 about 20 years ago, I still get on my HST L3800 on occasion and find myself letting the clutch out after starting up as I rock the HST pedal forward to get moving.

One side of my brain is still manual. One side is HST.

Is there any cure for this? Is it true that, "You can take the "manual" out of the tractor but not out of the owner?":D

Having had both, all I'll say is don't skip the HST because your afraid it will break. They are very stout. Engines probably last a few weeks longer because the loads are initiated much more gently than dumping a clutch (bad technique). Other than that, the main reason I love the HST is because my wife uses it and doesn't hesitate getting on the thing. Much of what I use it for is me handling the load in the FEL -or slung underneath, and her doing the driving. She is totally at home on the thing and that makes me smile. She has no worry getting three inches from the house or a wall with a load because she is that much in control. Hard to imagine that kind of relaxed comfort in Mrs. YouKnowWho doing anything involving machines. Hard to put a price on that.

Resale will be higher for that reason.

Buy what you want. Isn't it nice to have these kind of choices?

God Bless America.

:)

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Ray, you mention one of the big benefits of HST. A system women feel comfortable with.

We have a Grasshopper front mount zero turn with a Kubota 29HP engine. I've only ran it less then 5 minutes!!

When it was delivered the guy looked at me and started explaining how to use it. I stopped him and told him he needs to explain it to "her". After his explanation, she got on and went for a spin. He asked if she ever ran one before? Have you used a skid steer? No to both questions. It just seemed natural for her.

On a flat area (which we have a lot of here) it will mow at about 10-13MPH, and do an excellent job, and it's a 62" cut. Looks like a bumble bee mowing!!

I do the service, and keep fuel readily available and the mowing becomes something she enjoys doing.

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
Confucius say, "It is a smart man who buys his wife machines she likes." :D

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
My wife can use a clutch too and drove geared cars and trucks for much of her life, but she much prefers automatics and HST, so...