Zero Turn on 25 degree slope? Looking for advice.

HandymanJD

Oct 1, 2013
Cumming, GA
I'm looking at a Kubota Kommander, and I'm seeking some real world zero turn advice from other users..
The problem I have is one sloped area. It's not very big, about 25 feet long and 15 feet wide, but its 23-25 degrees. There are no obstacles at the bottom, and plenty of run-out room,.

There's no way to circle around, it's fenced, so I have to cut straight down, turn around, and go back up.

I've cut it for years with no problem with a Craftsman GT 5000, with a 22hp Briggs with no problems. It's a bit hairy going up, but definitely do-able. I did put bar treads on the back, but they're more precautionary than necessary.

I've got two questions. I know that a ZTR is not recommended for hills due to the way it steers, but, given that I don't have to cross the slope, and have no obstacles, I'm wondering how bad I can expect it to be. I've looked at a tail dragger like a Walker, but, the yard's not really big enough to justify the $$$ for something like that.

Second question is the oil pressure. If my research is correct, some Kawasaki engines are okay on a slope like this. Climbing it takes about 2 second at normal speed, a loss of oil pressure probably isn't a huge issue, I just don't want to fry an engine.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

KenKubota

Equipment
M7040 & loader
Sep 15, 2013
Oberlin Oh
I think you will be ok climbing and going down if you control your speed. Lowering the tire pressure to 12 psi should help with traction. The oil pressure is a good question for Kubota tech. The dealer can call or give you the number.
I have a ZD 326 and it will climb a 30 degree hill and I have taken it up some steep banks along the creek bed that are closer to 40 degrees and it climbs no problem.
Demand a demo at your yard before you purchase.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
You will probably really miss the brake pedal when going down hill, it is not natural to just sit there or pull back on handles to slow or stop.

You can get used to it but it takes time. When I was a teenager, my dad bought a zero turn mower and I had to use it on fairly steep hills and did not enjoy it at all since there was no run out room and several feet of drop off (retention wall) at the end of the hill. I could never convince myself it was a good idea to even get close to the edge.