zero turn mower won't start when hot

balataboy

Equipment
zg123s
Oct 18, 2014
Leesburg, VA
I have a 2 year old zg123s kommander. Up to now, no issues. The last two times I've used it, it will not restart after turning it off. Both times were right after using blower to clean debris from the mower. The first time, the mower DID start after a few minutes. The second time, the mower would not start until it had cooled down, then started up fine. Headlights worked fine during 'down time'. Checked all the control positions, parking brake, blades engaged, seat safety switch, etc.. Nothing out of place. All fluids fine. Any thoughts?

Paulemar

Equipment
BX25, 60" MMM, 3 point hitch, 60" front plow, 48" Phoenix rototiller.
Jan 21, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Vapor lock? A mechanic friend of mine told me that they put butane into Winter gas and it has a tendency to vaporize in the fuel lines causing this kind of problem in many small gas engines. It's not in Summer fuel, but if you use Winter formulated gas when it's warm or your fuel lines are close to the engine, the butane will vaporize on a hot engine and cause a vapor lock. Try insulating them with some aluminum foil if it is possible.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I had an issue like that with my 20 horse kohler. Ended up changing out the in line filter and cured most of it. Unit would crank over a few extra turns when cold, but would be a bear when hot. I got to the point i wouldn't shut it down, even when cleaning it off before putting it away. Some of the hard starting issue went away when hot, when i switched over to ethenol free gas.