Won't crank

CharlesG

Equipment
Kubota L2500
Feb 5, 2014
Apple Springs Texas
My L 2500 set up for about 2 months wasn't covered, It cranked and ran for about 30-45 seconds and started to run rough then died won't, crank whats the problem??

SteveF

Equipment
BX25
May 15, 2013
Huntingdon, PA
Going to need more info. Have you done any trouble shooting. Problems could include: battery, key switch, conductors, connections (especially grounds) faulty safety switch, etc.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Please state the problem better-
Will it turn over (crank) and just not start or will the starter not turn the engine (not crank).

If it won't turn over then it will be some electrical problem probably.

If it turns over but won't start I would look at fuel problem - water in fuel, out of fuel...

As cold as it has been here in Austin area I would even suspect gelled fuel or frozen water in the fuel line.

Last edited:

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040 HDC-1,JD 4255,Ford 6700
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
Engine beginning to run rough then dying sounds like a lack of fuel to inj pump problem.

CharlesG

Equipment
Kubota L2500
Feb 5, 2014
Apple Springs Texas
Thanks to all you guys, I didn't see an answer for a couple of days so have not looked again for a couple more days.. But yes it cranked really well the first cranking and ran good for about 30 seconds but then started "loping and coughing" and died, I figured fuel problems its been nasty for a few days but yesterday was pretty so I went back out and looked the situation over again so I will follow you all's advice and drain the fuel tank and replace with fresh fuel and drain the lines. What do you think of sea foam to add to the tank??
CG

SteveF

Equipment
BX25
May 15, 2013
Huntingdon, PA
...I didn't see an answer for a couple of days so have not looked again for a couple more days.. But yes it cranked really well the first cranking and ran good for about 30 seconds but then started "loping and coughing" and died, I figured fuel problems its been nasty for a few days but yesterday was pretty so I went back out and looked the situation over again so...
CG
Charles, am I missing something here? The title of the thread is Won't Crank and you indicated in the thread that it ran, died, and won't crank.

I must not be on the same page as you because to me if an engine won't crank it simply won't turn over, nada, dead. If it will turn over (crank) then yes start looking for fuel-related issues.

You commented that you didn't see an answer for a couple days. I did ask you some questions about five and a half hours after your posts.

CharlesG

Equipment
Kubota L2500
Feb 5, 2014
Apple Springs Texas
Somehow I missed that Steve, sorry.. But now I can tell you what I had to do. I took the end of the hose that goes from the filter to the injector pump loose from the injector pump and let the fuel (which incidentally had about a half pint of water in it) flow until there wasn't any sign of water, probably about 3 quarts. I was going to change the filter but there was over a half tank of fuel in it, so I will wait until its close but not empty, before I change the filter. As far as I know there isn't a cut-off valve between the tank and filter.. but the fuel flowed a stream about the size of a pencil, and there was no water in it so I figured it would be ok.. then I loosened the steel nuts on the injector lines while cranking it over, and by that I mean turning it over with the starter until fuel appeared at the nut on the injector line, purging any air out (read about that on the web). I couldn't get my wrench on the middle one, but the two outside lines did the trick. Now its purring like a kitten :) I appreciate everyone's input.. It about gardening time in East TX :)
Charles

SteveF

Equipment
BX25
May 15, 2013
Huntingdon, PA
Somehow I missed that Steve, sorry.. But now I can tell you what I had to do. I took the end of the hose that goes from the filter to the injector pump loose from the injector pump and let the fuel (which incidentally had about a half pint of water in it) flow until there wasn't any sign of water, probably about 3 quarts. I was going to change the filter but there was over a half tank of fuel in it, so I will wait until its close but not empty, before I change the filter. As far as I know there isn't a cut-off valve between the tank and filter.. but the fuel flowed a stream about the size of a pencil, and there was no water in it so I figured it would be ok.. then I loosened the steel nuts on the injector lines while cranking it over, and by that I mean turning it over with the starter until fuel appeared at the nut on the injector line, purging any air out (read about that on the web). I couldn't get my wrench on the middle one, but the two outside lines did the trick. Now its purring like a kitten :) I appreciate everyone's input.. It about gardening time in East TX :)
Charles
Charles, thank you for following up! Appreciate the information.

Concerning gardening, today is another day up here plowing snow... can't wait to smell the tilth.