Wheel weights

Kubotanewb555

Equipment
Kubota L4200
Aug 12, 2023
New york
Hello,

Very new to tractors but cousins own a farm and it helps. I have a Kubota L4200 and bought it with what seems to be calcium in the rears. My cousin said calcium will eat the tube and rims and recommends I buy wheel weights and drain the calcium. He uses beet juice for some but says it’s easier to deal with if you get a flat with no fluid in it.

My question is, how much weight do I need? Plan to buy used. I mainly use it for brush hog, pulling trees, backhoe attachment and loader work. Thanks.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
My B7100 uses re-purposed exercise weights; a 75lb & 25lb on each side in the rear, and 33lb on each side in the front. (total 272lbs with hardware)

IMG_0065.JPG
IMG_0258.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
I have a Kubota L4200 and bought it with what seems to be calcium in the rears. My cousin said calcium will eat the tube and rims and recommends I buy wheel weights and drain the calcium.
First, validate it's actually calcium. There are more choices than beet juice that are also noncorrosive to wheels. Wheel weights are model specific and not all models recommend weights for the wheels. I would shoot for 300 lbs on each side, but it would depend on what is available. A couple of people have made their own, so that might be an option if wheel weights are recommended for your wheels.

But, if you drain the wheels, I think you'll have to have the tires removed from the wheels to wash all of the residue out.

Reactions: 1 user

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
turn tire so valve stem is between 7 and 4 o'clock, depress valve stem and get some liquid on your finger. Now taste it..you'll KNOW if it's calcium !
If it is, for sure, remove all of it, wash rims, tires, buy new tubes, and valve stems. do the lick test after you say it's clean....
you shouldn't need weight for backhoe or bushhog operations,maybe for pulling trees(depends on size...), loader yes but there are other options other than wheel weights or filled tires.
if 90% of the time you don't need the weight WHY subject your tractor to the extra weight ? It's less MPG and more wear and tear.