Wheel Swap Around

1coolbanana

Equipment
Kubota BX1860
Jan 9, 2014
Australia
Well , here you go anyway.
since you are getting a bit short on options why not consider this plan.
You have the one peice rims on you cracking machine, whereas you really need the split rims versions.
the one piece wheels only have two possible offsets, unless you use spacers.
On the other hand the split rims option has 5 possible offset combinations.
This is obtained by the use of 4 small doglegged lugs welded to the rims and with 4 holes in the centre hub plate as the hub centre section is either dished of reccessed aswell.
As the dogleg lugs are just that and have two sets of mounting holes , you can then, mount the rim in 5 posible offset positions per left and right side of the tractor.
Similar setups found on differing tractors and wheel manafcaturers.
All you need do or get a machine shop to do is cut the centres out carefully,( not difficult on your rims) and then weld the new lugs to the rim and drill the centre plate accordingly, goes without saying that it would all need measuring and lining up correctly before the lugs were welded, but its pretty straight forward really.
I suspect that yours would need a small extra plate welded to the centre boss as they look slighlty dished and they need to be flat where bolted to the rim, but not a problem.
According to my L225 manual the rear wheel track can be set from approx 38" wide to 52" wide by using various combinations of the 5 posistions, probably more with differing wheel/hub combo's. 38" to 52" may not sound alot, but in realterms, it does make a lot of difference and the extra width is really noticable.
I'd do it for you if you were closer, but hey , you are just a bit to far to be honest;)
pic of my L225 wheel (white) and a generic two peice kubota 24" rim, you can see the lugs on the rims etc.
anyway, if in your shoes i know which route i'd go down...
cheers
rob
Thanks Rob and yes, I agree it would be an easy cheap option but there is no one around here who would do it or even bother to quote me for doing such a job, theyre just not interested.
Id be happy to do it myself but dont have gear big enough to handle it.
Thanks for the offer, wish you were closer :)

If they won't ship it strait to you give me a shout I'll ship them out to you. ;)
Thanks mate, appreciate it :)

I got a pair of spacers for my BX sent to Aus from that company .. no probs
Good to know, are you happy with them and consider them to be a worthwhile improvement?
Expensive for what they are though and I bet shipping was a bomb?
Id make my own solid set but my lathe and other gear is just not big enough to handle it

Cheers
Marc

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
Re: Wheel Swap Around and spacers?

If they won't ship it strait to you give me a shout I'll ship them out to you. ;)
I cannot say enough good things about this ebay seller. He makes a great product, cheaper than the Kubota spacers and 3X as wide or more. Mine are 2-1/2", and are terrific!

1coolbanana

Equipment
Kubota BX1860
Jan 9, 2014
Australia
Currently I have 9.5 x 24 and I have found a cheap pair of 12.4 x 24 tyres.
Would they fit my existing rims?
I realise I have to change the front to match the ratio so if my existing rear rims are ok with 12.4 x 24, Ill then start looking for a 7 x 16 to match.
Cheers
Marc

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
Your existing rims are most likely 8" wide. 12.4 needs 10" or 11" rims. I wouldn't recommend it.
You should be able to get a second set of 9.5x24 tires/wheels for a reasonable price. Have that ebay guy build you a set of spacers to fit, and build dualies! You'll end up about 68". And oh my, talk about traction!
It would end up like my profile picture at left.