What to get a grapple. What type?

joearizona

Equipment
B2650 W/LA534 Loader & BB1260 Box Scraper, 48" Pallet forks, 72" Rake
Apr 24, 2019
Hidden Valley, Arizona
OK tractor guys! I'm looking at Grapples. what is the difference between a root grapple & a brush grapple?
Is one heavy'r duty then the other. I clear a lot of properties that have a lot of heavy brush to be taken out then scrape the property clean.

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
I believe the difference is the bottom set of teeth.

The root grapple will have shorter teeth and are designed to dig into the ground/roots.

The brush grapple will have longer teeth and are designed to provide a platform to carry loads.

I have the root grapple and really like it and used it for all types of work.

Resized_20200903_171807001.jpg

Resized_20200606_090735.jpeg

Resized_20200418_103555.jpg

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
Are you just removing the brush to make the lots look clean or do you need to dig down and remove the roots and all?

A Parana tooth bar would let you cut most of the brush off at the soil level and minimize the soil being disrupted. If your intent is to remove the organic material then you need the root rake.

With the B model tractor you will probable spin the tires before you run out of power so load the tires and check for wheel weights for your model of tractor.

joearizona

Equipment
B2650 W/LA534 Loader & BB1260 Box Scraper, 48" Pallet forks, 72" Rake
Apr 24, 2019
Hidden Valley, Arizona
Are you just removing the brush to make the lots look clean or do you need to dig down and remove the roots and all?

A Parana tooth bar would let you cut most of the brush off at the soil level and minimize the soil being disrupted. If your intent is to remove the organic material then you need the root rake.

With the B model tractor you will probable spin the tires before you run out of power so load the tires and check for wheel weights for your model of tractor.
We have a lot of creosote plant out here in AZ most of the time i can hit them with the box blade and they come right up, BUT some are big & I have to get them with the bucket with the Parana blade. and yes I have a B2650 and 4 wheel drive some of them suckers are hard to get out.

i7win7

Equipment
BX2370, B2650 grapple, tree puller, trailer mover, 3 point hoist, mower, tiller
Feb 21, 2020
Central, IL
I clear a lot of properties that have a lot of heavy brush to be taken out then scrape the property clean.
If the brush is alive, I think you will be happy with the root grapple. If clearing dead cut up brush, limbs, small trees, ect the longer forks of a brush grapple will haul a bigger load. Small trees 6-8" diameter, I can pick up 3 logs at a time with my root grapple. trying to get the 4th one is usually a waste of time.
20170819_154107.jpg

My B2650 has loaded tires and I carry a ballast box. I can't remember ever spinning a tire just the engine/hydro bogging down when encountering a stump or solid root.
20171118_173634.jpg

If your not quick at the controls you can kill the engine when pulling trees. Like the Tool Man Tim Taylor I want more power.

Reactions: 2 users

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
I have a root grapple which works great for pushing out small trees and brush from the ground. if you are planning on doing a lot of ground engagement then a root grapple with the short front is better for your tractor because there is less stress on the loader and bucket cylinders.

If you plan on using it for hauling firewood and brush, the long front brush grapples are the way to go. Right now I wish I bought one of these instead because of my root grapple's limited carrying capacity.

In either case do yourself a big favour and add a brush guard to your tractor.

My final suggestion is to ignore the advertised grapple weight in determining strength. I'd rather have a light weight grapple made from AR300 steel than a heavy one made from crappy mild steel plate. I've bent 1/2 inch thick mild steel tines on my root grapple where 1/4 inch thick AR300 tines wouldn't have budged. You don't need to waste valuable loader capacity hauling around an empty "HD" attachment.

Make sure all pins and bushings are greaseable and hydraulic fittings are protected. If you see hair pin style retaining pins RUN, don't walk away.

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
I run a heavy root grapple on my MX5800 and a track loader. I've often thought about a lighter grapple for my L3901 and looked at Everything Attachments 55" Wicked Root Grapple, it's well reviewed and is light leaving your loader with a lot of lifting capacity, this is important on smaller loader / tractors. take a look:

Good luck in your final decision.

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
I like the Precision Mfg 333D72 clamshell grapple. Dual lid, weighs about 600 lbs, opens 50".

Ping

Equipment
BX2370-1
Dec 25, 2018
Troy, Ohio
I'm on the small end of the scale with my BX so when shopping around (web and youtube), I was looking for light weight so as to not limit the carrying capacity too much. I went with an EA Wicked root rake style as a long bottom would have severely limited my dump height. Whichever style you chose, they sure beat loading brush and limbs by hand ;) Hope this helps with your decision.
2020-08-22(1) - Copy.jpg
2020-07-13(2) - Copy.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
I dont have a grapple but wish I did. I get by with a big root rake instead. What I do like about my root rake, and what I would look for in a grapple is long lower tines. My root rake has long, curved lower tines that work really good at scooping up big logs and other items. or dragging below the surface to break up ground or tear roots. Ive seen some grapples with short stubby tines, and I dont think I would like those nearly as well.