Turning Key Starter will not turn engine over or heat glo plugs

jkhdesigns

Equipment
ZD21
Aug 21, 2009
Reynolds, GA USA
Have a ZD21-60 mower that I was mowing with yesterday afternoon. This mower is 6 years old but has less than 400 hrs. not used commercially. Has been serviced regularly by my Kubota dealer. Engine stalled while mowing and now after checking all fuses including the slow blow 40 the ignition glow plug will not light up, other 2 lights are bright red but will not turn starter over or heat the glow plugs.

A similiar problem came up in May of 2008 my dealer did a PTO switch service, brake lever lock, they replaced a#30-K3511-55620 switch I'm not sure if this is the PTO swtich or one of the other safety switches. Does anyone know of anything else I could check before hauling mower in to my dealer? I know that there is probably a single check wire on the unit that will disconnect all safety swithes just to check the unit to see if the shortage is in this circuit does anyone know where it is located?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

James

Ob1kubota

Equipment
M9540DT
Jul 26, 2009
Birmingham, AL
James I own one of these 2001 S/N 30310 and have the Work Shop Manual. Let me think about this over the weekend and get back to you after a review of the wiring diagram and the circuits energized during the glow plug preheat pole continuity on the ignition switch in the start position. Don't do anything to jeopardize the integrity of the combination box. ( All Safety Interlock Micro switches feed this black box under the passenger side fender deck ). It will simply keep the starter soleniod from receiving the voltage to the starter reduction gear. I'm sure we can figure this out. :)

Last edited:

Ob1kubota

Equipment
M9540DT
Jul 26, 2009
Birmingham, AL
James connect a remote start switch at the starter solenoid ( 12 Guage wire Black/wht tracer) between the battery terminal and solenoid terminal at the starter motor. Bump the switch and if it cranks your problem is in the safety start system. I will try to attach the electrical diagrams. My tractor did this once and it was the seat switch and I had to replace it because the combination box requires a certain resistance in the circuit to cause the micro-processor to allow voltage to the solenoid for start up with the key switch. :)

Post back if you don't find it...

Attachments

jkhdesigns

Equipment
ZD21
Aug 21, 2009
Reynolds, GA USA
Hello, OB1Kubuta

Thanks for the quick response. My problem is in the safety system. I carried it to my local dealer, hopefully it won't be nothing to serious. I appreciate the electrical reference pages, I am sure they will come in handy, I am keeping them with my manual for future use.

Ob1kubota

Equipment
M9540DT
Jul 26, 2009
Birmingham, AL
James...

I understand, let me know if they tell you it's the seat and you have to buy the base cushion complete assembly. I know where to go to get the switch free and its worth 250.00 to pull a few staples out of the base to replace it. ;) Please post your findings, the more information we gather the better site we will have. It's a great mower, I was on mine over five hours yesterday and the wife on her ZD326P. No, we are not professional landscapers, just own to much land we have to mow. :D

Last edited:

Old Goat

Equipment
ZD21F
Feb 21, 2014
Louisiana
James...

I understand, let me know if they tell you it's the seat and you have to buy the base cushion complete assembly. I know where to go to get the switch free and its worth 250.00 to pull a few staples out of the base to replace it. ;) Please post your findings, the more information we gather the better site we will have. It's a great mower, I was on mine over five hours yesterday and the wife on her ZD326P. No, we are not professional landscapers, just own to much land we have to mow. :D

Can you tell me where to get that switch?

Thanks,
Charles