Starting Problem

thecoopers

Equipment
B2920, endloader, bellymower
Jan 25, 2010
Reliance, TN
We have a B2920. Have had starting problems for quite awhile. We have taken it to the dealer and they couldn't find the problem. We put on a relay on the starter which we thought might help. The problem has returned. Presently if you play (for minutes) with the forward/reverse pedal it will usually start. I have read numerous threads on this very subject (this seems to be a pervasive problem with numerous models of Kubotas). People in the threads thought the ignition switch to be the problem, relay replacement recommendations, battery terminal connection reminders, safety switch problems and maybe other things.

At this point, because the tractor will start by playing with the forward/reverse pedal I am thinking it may be a safety switch. I have looked under the area of the pedal and can't see anything. Can anyone tell me how to find the safety switch?

Thank you.

thecoopers

Equipment
Jan 25, 2010
Reliance, TN
It happens 85% of the time. More so after the tractor has run and then shut off and tried to be restarted. Although it is not uncommon for it not to start initially.

cmorningstar01

Equipment
B7500HST LA302 FEL 5'Finish Mower B5100E 46" Snow Plow 22 ton splitter
Mar 27, 2011
Pemberton NJ USA
Sounds like it could be a neutral safety switch, If the switch is not physically on the shuttle setup then look for it somewhere along the linkage or possibley even some wiring that goes into the transmission as the switch may be internal.

birddogger

May 29, 2011
Pittsburgh
Grass clippings end up everywhere.
Like mentioned before, follow the linkages and find the switch. It could be physically bound with clippings or the activation tab has become bent causing a marginal activation.

OhioKubota

Equipment
B2400HSD, ZD28F, RTV900
Aug 9, 2010
Cleveland OH
For what it's worth, in my B2400, the relay was the fix and I haven't had a single "no starting" issue in the year since I installed it.

Not to hijack the thread....

However, I recently acquired a used (2006) ZD28F Zero Turn and just in the last 2 weeks, it has developed a similar issue when starting. I seem to get it to start after wiggling the "sticks" and jumping on / off the seat, but has anyone had these symptoms with a ZD28f before?

ETRon

Equipment
M6040
Aug 4, 2010
Tellico Plains, TN
For what it's worth I think you need to either do some basic tracing with a meter to see exactly what is or is not getting power. It's the only way you're ever going to get it fixed. If that doesn't happen to be one of your skills then perhaps you can get some local help. A good start would be to see if the relay that you replaced is getting power on start and if it has failed again for some reason. You seem to have suggested that replacing it fixed the problem for awhile?

Ron

thecoopers

Equipment
Jan 25, 2010
Reliance, TN
For what it's worth I think you need to either do some basic tracing with a meter to see exactly what is or is not getting power. It's the only way you're ever going to get it fixed. If that doesn't happen to be one of your skills then perhaps you can get some local help. A good start would be to see if the relay that you replaced is getting power on start and if it has failed again for some reason. You seem to have suggested that replacing it fixed the problem for awhile?

Ron
Thank you for offering your thoughts and suggestions. Yes, the relay did seem to help for a while. But of course the tractor worked when we took it all the way to GA. to get it serviced.

I really don't have a base of knowledge about 12 volt electrical wiring on auto/tractor items. I will contact our mailman, he does tractor repair (although typically older tractors I believe) and see if he can help me with the safety switch issue as well as checking the relay. I may be back pleading for direction!

Thank you again for you kindness to us.

Joe

OhioKubota

Equipment
B2400HSD, ZD28F, RTV900
Aug 9, 2010
Cleveland OH
I'm embarrassed. After checking a bunch of safety switches and fiddling around, I then checked the battery cables. All looked right, even snug to the frame. However, the negative battery cable was able to be pulled off the battery post by hand:mad:. After banging on it, I was resigned to replacing a the cable and it runs as it should. :).