Social Media?

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I have no interest in social media, like Facebook, Twitter and whatever else there may be out there.

So I was kind of shocked that someone in a different thread suggested that OTT, or at least the off topic forum, was social media!

AND I guess this is so...

Damn, in order to keep my integrity I guess I will have to stop posting in the OT forum!

:cry:

Heading over to the daughter's for Thanksgiving dinner soon. Having a couple afternoon beers as I do not drink in the evening. LOL. It is Thanksgiving right?

BUT I suppose the OT forum is indeed a kind of social media.

Live and learn...

It is great hearing different opinions on different issues unrelated to tractors though...

No doubt this is a moment of weakness...be back tomorrow! :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

PaulR

Equipment
BX 23S -- 100 hours seat time so far
Aug 3, 2020
Hadley, MA
A message board such as this is a form of social media, yes, in the technical sense.
Most people think of social media as the big 3 however, FB, Twitter, instagram.

I was on Jeep, gun, garage, and tractor boards long before the other 3.

It's funny on each of them I'm different. FB I post all family stuff, Instagram I follow only skiing and music stuff. Twitter I'm 1000% political :ROFLMAO: Not sure how all that worked out.

Outnumbered

Equipment
Kubota L3901, FEL, BB1260, RCF2060, FDR2572, Titan Forks, Caryall, 5' Tiller
Oct 26, 2019
Moseley, VA
Much like Henro I choose not to participate in the Facebook (Meta), Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn, etc. I do not consider forums such as this one as "Social Media" but more of a "message board". Forums like this one are geared more to help one another and I have benefited from individuals on sites like this and will freely offer info to help others myself. That is why I see these forums different. I do see a trend where several message boards are falling to the wayside due to the overwhelming number of folks who focus on social media only. Hopefully we can keep this one going for a longs time. Cheers!!

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Much like Henro I choose not to participate in the Facebook (Meta), Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn, etc. I do not consider forums such as this one as "Social Media" but more of a "message board". Forums like this one are geared more to help one another and I have benefited from individuals on sites like this and will freely offer info to help others myself. That is why I see these forums different. I do see a trend where several message boards are falling to the wayside due to the overwhelming number of folks who focus on social media only. Hopefully we can keep this one going for a longs time. Cheers!!
Social media is really any form of public communication site, so yes this is social media. But of course every site has a different emphasis and people posting comments.

RichardAaronlx2610

Equipment
Lx2610 Cab, Fel, Backhoe, Grapple, Box Grader, Forks
Aug 3, 2021
New Jersey
I think that was me that said that lol but this is the only type of social media i use

Biker1mike

Equipment
B6200, Kubota 2030 Front Blade, King Cutter 60" finishing deck
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
Interesting question! Do you remember why you first joined a social network?
I have always had a nerdy side and computers never scared me.
I was downloading information at home in the early 80's. Not social but the start.
Transferring information at work over the internet was relatively new and exciting.
I was a co-sysop (system operator) of a BBS in the mid 80's. Ran a section dedicated to motorcycles and riders, hence Biker1mike. Waiting hours to get online and then no real two way. Two persons chat started and off we went.
As AOL came online, small outfits like us were just brushed aside. We operated on what spare change we had in our pockets and had little offer compared to the bug guns.
I tried AOL for a while and then facebook. I was in a technical field and these systems were just to social and feel good.
As search engines got better I started having more screen time. I follow several forums and some pages linked to my old employer.
Now that I am retired I can piss people off anytime of the day. I try not to but you know that goes sometimes.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Was going to the library looking up information considered social networking? That's were it started?

Looking for information on removing the fuel tank on an L305 that had been setting in a barn that burned I ended up at OTT.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
A message board such as this is a form of social media, yes, in the technical sense.
Most people think of social media as the big 3 however, FB, Twitter, instagram.

I was on Jeep, gun, garage, and tractor boards long before the other 3.

It's funny on each of them I'm different. FB I post all family stuff, Instagram I follow only skiing and music stuff. Twitter I'm 1000% political :ROFLMAO: Not sure how all that worked out.
Another way to think of it is that these forums track your browser while you are on the site, your browsing habits and cookie data have a nominal monetary value in terms of adds displayed.

Social media platforms make you the tracking platform. Fakebook and Groggle turn your devices into data collection devices where you are personally quantified and objectified for everything including how often you charge your battery, where you go and when, what you look at, who your contacts are, what you are saying to them,...a dossier is compiled on YOU and sold to eeryone from your banks, to insurance brokers, etc.

Like it or not you already have a facebook account and google account even if you never logged into or agreed to their services.

Reactions: 1 user

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
OTT is like a dysfunctional family. We fight, criticize, cajole, and kibbutz with each other, but at the end of the day, we all love each other because of our common interest in the Orange Tractor.

4d7be7a3b0234a15646886431814e390-1024x683.jpg

OrangeKrush

Equipment
BX2680, LA344 with Piranha tooth bar, LP PF 1242, LP Rear Blade, KK 60" BB
Nov 15, 2020
Indy
I was first aware of it in 93-94 our first computer! I told my wife at that time, THIS is going to lead to nothing but trouble.. had no idea phones with cameras, video and texting was going to be introduced as well. This is when chit started going down hill! Although I love my camera and texting comes in handy.. I wish this would have never been invented. Yes I blame most of what's going on today on social media and the mis-use of it.

Social media here.. yes but we can have calm collective conversations for the most part, and you will have disagreements here and there but we always come back to civil conversation on the next thread. Helps we have someone to keep us in line also..😉

FB and others are huge but they do need better policing/Mods "If" they even have such a thing.. I'm not on them anymore but when I was there were no signs of them.. Big problem!