Rotary Cutter Blades

countryhick

Equipment
Kubota L2201
Oct 2, 2014
Monroeville, AL
I just bought a L2201 with a 4' J Bar rotary cutter. The blades are in terrible shape. My question is do I have to buy replacement blades through the OEM or can I just buy some replacement 4' cutter blades?

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
You do not have to buy OEM. If you do not get OEM, make sure you get the same length and profile/shaped blades.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
When I replaced mine, I took the blades off and there was a number stamped into them. I called the manufacturer to order them and they gave me the part number (which was not the number stenciled) and said I had to go to a dealer. Well they wanted way too much money that way. Looked on line and ordered two sets for less than they wanted through the dealer.

When the package arrived it had been directly shipped from the manufacturer.

You will need a large socket to get them off.

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
Depending where you live and the stocking availability in your area you'll probably do better to buy locally.

If this machine is new to you and you're not the original owner my suggestion would be to talk directly with the manufacturer and obtain the blade part number for that machine. And then buy locally if you can.

If you must, order your first set using that mfg part number.

Later, for future sets, you can shop for pricing using the KNOWN good sample blade.

Why you ask? I have seen used shredders with incorrect, torch cut, whittled, backwards, incorect rotation, upside-down, and everything in between blades. If you use what is now on the machine you truly don't know if it's correct for that use or not. I kid you not bushhog blades are magnets for errors. And believe it or not there are hundreds of possible blades to go wrong with.

As mentioned, some blades do have part numbers stamped into them. Most don't or are long gone due to abrasion and wear. And you still don't know if those are the correct blades for that machine.

If you've got a stump-jumper don't even bother trying to pull it. Locate the blade bolt and cut a hole in the deck to allow access. You'll need a 3/4-drive socket or a bushhog socket-wrench-on-a-stick blade wrench. My bolts are 1-7/8-inch. Yours will be different almost certainly. You MIGHT be able to fit a wrench over the lip of the tub-shape stump jumper. Others this forum report bending a wrench to gain access from the bottom.

If your first blade change go back with new special blade bolts, nuts, and lock washers. Clean the keyway on the blade carrier. Grease heavily when installing. Use thread lube on the bolt threads and tighten tight.

Change blades in pairs. Confirm installation per mfgs directions for orientation, direction of rotation, blade angle-up or -down. Spin by hand with blades straight to make sure not hittting deck anywhere. Support the unit if you're under it and DO NOT depend on tractor 3-point to hold it up. Might be easier to stand it up against a tree or stout fence post.

Grease gearbox and U-joints. Tighten 3-point lift pins and entire frame assembly.

Be prepared and keep in mind that blades can do and will bend and break---the first time it happens it'll scare you witless---turn off the PTO, clean the seat, and drive back to the house to replace both blades and retighten everything that shook loose.

Blades can be resharpened. See what new blades are like and duplicate on your blades when they need it. 4-1/2-inch hand angle grinder is just the ticket and can be done on the machine for a touch-up.

Please post back your experiences so we may all learn.

tor

Jun 25, 2009
SC
Be prepared and keep in mind that blades can do and will bend and break---the first time it happens it'll scare you witless---turn off the PTO, clean the seat, and drive back to the house to replace both blades and retighten everything that shook loose.
What he said.....:D