Ratchet straps, rope , or bungees

Biker1mike

Equipment
B6200, Kubota 2030 Front Blade, King Cutter 60" finishing deck
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
Grounded due to bronchitis so I was doing some knot tying in my easy chair. Old rehab to work the fingers and keep movement. Got me to thinking.
What's your go to for light load tie downs in a pickup or trailer.
I have rope, bungees and ratchet straps in the truck at all times. On a fast lumber yard run I find I can grab a rope, tie it off and go quicker than I can set up the ratchets.
Garden tractor in trailer is a 2 inch strap just to keep the other motorist happy that it will not fall off.
Camping with stuff all over the bed is 1 inch straps and some rope.
Bungee cords are mostly gifts from the wife that thinks they are more useful than they really are. I do use them to keep drawers closed if moving furniture.

How about you ?

block.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Grounded due to bronchitis so I was doing some knot tying in my easy chair. Old rehab to work the fingers and keep movement. Got me to thinking.
What's your go to for light load tie downs in a pickup or trailer.
I have rope, bungees and ratchet straps in the truck at all times. On a fast lumber yard run I find I can grab a rope, tie it off and go quicker than I can set up the ratchets.
Garden tractor in trailer is a 2 inch strap just to keep the other motorist happy that it will not fall off.
Camping with stuff all over the bed is 1 inch straps and some rope.
Bungee cords are mostly gifts from the wife that thinks they are more useful than they really are. I do use them to keep drawers closed if moving furniture.

How about you ?

View attachment 91260
Ratchet straps for everything when possible.
The 1" wide ones for small trailer.
The 2' ones for equipment trailer.
Sometimes chains.

I am old and.... re....TIRED.
Never in a hurry to complete a tie down.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Only have 1" ratchet straps in the truck, so any strap fits any ratchet.
Did get into the habit of putting ratchet on the right side AWAY from the live lane....makes it a little safer when securing or releasing the straps....

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Ratchet straps and chains. I keep an old lunch box in the bed under the tanoe cover full of 1" and 2" straps. Chains and binders stay in a chain box on the tongue of my landscape trailer.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I keep a bag of 1" ratchet straps under the back seat in the truck, along with another bag of assorted thick bungees.
The straps are for anything big enough to need them, such as the small vertical bandsaw I'm hauling home from the cabin in a couple days.
Bungees are for the small stuff, like keeping garbage bags from blowing out of the truck bed on the trip home, etc.

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
There's a bag of assorted tiedown stuff for the little trailer. Ratchet straps for larger things, a bungee cargo net for keeping things from blowing off, and some rope. I don't haul anything real big or heavy on the trailer. I built it about 30 years ago as a consolation prize for not having a pickup truck and recently completed a complete refurb. It has tiedown channels running the length of the bed that are greater than 48" between. Inside length is over 8'.

If I have anything big to haul, my best bud has a couple trailers and I still have access to things at the company I retired from. Then it's big ratchet straps or chain binders.

Trapper Bob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L4701, Wicked grapple, 6’ bush hog, pallet forks, 7’ box blade, 6’ Wicked bucket
Jan 17, 2022
Andover, KS
I use 1” MC straps mostly (I like Ancra), because I have a lot of them. My MC/utility trailer had 18” sides so the straps really hold bikes/things down or upright. I’m anal about bikes getting 4 straps & a front wheel tie.
I use chains/binders on my tractor & implements.
I use bungees & bungee nets to secure light items in the truck bed. There is a difference in the quality of some bungees. I trust the better 1s, but only use them to keep items from sliding around or pinned to the front/side of the truck bed (tail gate closed).
Rope (good quality) & some fancy knots can supplement any system of tie downs.
As with any tool, these MC straps, bungees, chains, binders, & rope need to be inspected periodically.