PURCHASE WOOD CHIPPER

bluelight16

Equipment
BX2370
Sep 18, 2022
Canada
i HAVE A BX 2370 AND AM LOOKING AT PURCHASING A WOODLAND MILLS wc46 4" WOOD CHIPPER ANYONE HAVE ANY COMMENTS ABOUT THIS CHIPPER AND WILL MY PTO HAVE THE REQUIRED RPM LOOKING AT 18RPM. THANKS

RalphVa

Jan 19, 2020
Charlottesville
Have a WC46 and love it. You'll need a scissor jack or low rise hydraulic floor jack to lift the feed roller assembly when you get a piece stuck. (Notice I said "when", not "if") Won't happen that often once you get used to what won't feed and trim a bit with a chain saw.

The 23 hp is plenty of hp. I ran a 3 1/2 inch MacKissic TPH-122 on the first 18.5 hp JD and never ever stalled it.

The B2601 and 2025R with 1 less hp before it just loafed along on the WC46 with the feed roller set at mid speed and PTO speed at 450 rpm. Frankly, I think running the feed roller faster is a safety hazard because it can really whip a tree around. Always stand to the side a bit once you jam the end of the limb in to get it started. Think right side is safest but my memory could be bad.

Have yet to swap the chipper blades. Did set the plate at the bottom for the proper clearance. Also had to tighten up on the feed roller hydraulic feed.

Trees or limbs with tiny little vines can cause a plug in the discharge chute.

Bigger trees/limbs may need to have a smaller piece put in first to get the feed roller up enough to grab the bigger piece.

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Think right side is safest but my memory could be bad.
All excellent advice but I know on my WC-68 if it whips, it whips hard right (as you’re facing the feed chute). If you forget which way it whips, after a couple of times of a good sized limb hitting you in the leg like Aaron Judge whacking you with a baseball bat you’ll remember.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
The electric-power co-op came around a week or so ago and trimmed trees away from power lines out here on the ranch. The last time they did this was about 5 or 6 years ago and as a co-op Member …they very nicely cut-and-stacked any fire-place sized limbs into 24”-long firewood and left it neatly stacked alongside the right-of-way on my property.
Well…last week while they were out here I noticed quite a few oak limbs about 4 or 5 inches in diameter piled up beside their big truck …so I mentioned to them that if they’d just leave the larger limbs behind It’d make good firewood.
But the co-op isn’t using their own employees this time-around…they have employed a contractor…who must be paid by the weight of chips they dump somewhere…. because they nodded to me when I mentioned the firewood…. and I went back inside expecting about a half-a-cord of good hardwood will be ready to be moved to my wood-pile in a few hours.
At the end of the day….not one limb to be seen. Those guys ran even large oak limbs thru that chipper and blew it all up into their truck and Hauled It Away! ☹

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
The electric-power co-op came around a week or so ago and trimmed trees away from power lines out here on the ranch. The last time they did this was about 5 or 6 years ago and as a co-op Member …they very nicely cut-and-stacked any fire-place sized limbs into 24”-long firewood and left it neatly stacked alongside the right-of-way on my property.
Well…last week while they were out here I noticed quite a few oak limbs about 4 or 5 inches in diameter piled up beside their big truck …so I mentioned to them that if they’d just leave the larger limbs behind It’d make good firewood.
But the co-op isn’t using their own employees this time-around…they have employed a contractor…who must be paid by the weight of chips they dump somewhere…. because they nodded to me when I mentioned the firewood…. and I went back inside expecting about a half-a-cord of good hardwood will be ready to be moved to my wood-pile in a few hours.
At the end of the day….not one limb to be seen. Those guys ran even large oak limbs thru that chipper and blew it all up into their truck and Hauled It Away! ☹
They can't leave cut debris on the right of way as contractors. "Cut and remove" is the contract. If they leave it, and the person that asked it to be left doesn't remove it, then they don't get paid. Rather than 6 guys out running a trimming/chipping operation, the co-op has one guy riding around in a pickup to check the work of 6 crews and their finished job. A couple pictures of what looks like an unfinished job, they simply don't get paid.

Dave Ogren

Equipment
BX23S w/FEL &BH &60" Mowing Deck, 48" Dirty Dog Box Blade, 48" Tar River Tiller,
Feb 16, 2022
Asheville, N. C.
They can't leave cut debris on the right of way as contractors. "Cut and remove" is the contract. If they leave it, and the person that asked it to be left doesn't remove it, then they don't get paid. Rather than 6 guys out running a trimming/chipping operation, the co-op has one guy riding around in a pickup to check the work of 6 crews and their finished job. A couple pictures of what looks like an unfinished job, they simply don't get paid.
You are exactly right. I contacted the Duke contractor and asked about the mulch and requested about 20 or 30 truckloads and ended up getting way more than 100. I am still putting mulch paths all over my property.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
The “right of way” is ON my property….it’s actually their access easement…but I own it. The wood was also off MY trees.… that was MY wood….and MY wood chips they hauled off and sold somewhere.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
I’ve had good luck offering the crew a drink of water or a Gatorade and mentioning that I plan to leave the firewood ferry a case of cold beer at the corner of my barn about the time their shift is over if their is a stack of wood in the ditch or driveway. (Generally they are not allowed to accept with their supervisor around / or risk of them being around or finding something in the company truck, but usually they are happy to swing by on the way home). 🥃

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
The “right of way” is ON my property….it’s actually their access easement…but I own it. The wood was also off MY trees.… that was MY wood….and MY wood chips they hauled off and sold somewhere.
Sold? Lucky if they give it away without driving too much between dumps.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
Sold? Lucky if they give it away without driving too much between dumps.
According to HD the subcontractor for my elect-coop is the source for this product:

Oil pan 4

Equipment
L185 turbo
Sep 21, 2017
NM
I was going to say at least get a 4 inch.
I burn wood chips for heat. I figure my wood chipper increases my fuel yeld by at least 30%, because all my trees are 8 inches and smaller.