PTO Sprayer - Maintaining Speed with HST

jcork

Apr 27, 2011
Idaho
I have a B7610HST that is new-to-me with a Fimco 25 gallon 3-pt sprayer. To make the sprayer behave in a predictable manner I need to run at a constant road speed. It does have a pressure gauge.

Because of the way the sprayer is configured I will probably need to run the tractor in High Range but at less than top speed (5-8 mph).

I know I need to calibrate the sprayer pressure against road speed, but how do I assure I always set the same road speed, unless the trator is running at max rpm (which is too fast)?

Kubota Newbie

Equipment
M4500, New Idea Cut-Ditioner, JD 14T Baler, IH "Plow Chief" plows, Oliver Rake
Dec 28, 2010
Mount Vernon, Ohio
First off, you need a pressure gage on your sprayer to calibrate it correctly. Start with new tips too and make sure all the screens are clear.

You're right, you need to know exactly how fast you're going to apply the correct amount of pesticide.

To do that on your HST you're going to have to add a speedometer. Go to a bicycle shop and get a add-on speedo with a magnetic pick-up. Attach the sensor magnet to the rear axle and the magnetic pick-up to a homemade bracket on the axle housing. You should be able to calibrate the speedo for the actual tire outside diameter. Presto, you're now set up for accurate spraying. (You'll probably also be able to track your trip miles, top speed, average speed, and a bunch of other things you don't really need to know on a tractor, but you'll have a neat speedometer ;))

If you need help on the actual sprayer calibration, post back, there are a couple of ways to do it.

jcork

Apr 27, 2011
Idaho
Thanx for the tip; I hadn't though of a bicycle speedo.

My sprayer has a pressure gauge and wide-open I should be able to make 10 gpa in low range. But I believe I will proceed with the bicycle speedo anyway; it makes too much sense and would probably be handy with the snowblower as well.

Kubota Newbie

Equipment
M4500, New Idea Cut-Ditioner, JD 14T Baler, IH "Plow Chief" plows, Oliver Rake
Dec 28, 2010
Mount Vernon, Ohio
Sorry, mis-read, thought you said no gauge.
10 gallons/acre isn't very much, I'm thinking most pesticide labels will want more water than that for coverage. What're you planning on spraying?

Gundoctor

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota M7040 4x4/ BX2230 4x4/ JD MX 8/ Ford 101 Moldboard 3 bottom Plows -
You need to calibate your sprayer. With just water in tank & put a bottle under one nozzle and go a set distance - like 100 feet or yards. See how much is in bottle then times the number of nozzles you have your volume times your boom length. Then you know how much you will be putting on. I did my corn fields for over 30 years.

David Pidgeon

New Haven, Vermont

jcork

Apr 27, 2011
Idaho
Thanx for the comments. I have the calibration bottle and tables all setup.

The tricky part, is reproducing a specific ground speed, that isn't 'wide open'. I think the bicycle speedo will do that for me.