PTO grinding when attempting to engage

retired65

May 30, 2020
Noodle, TX
L3000F - When engaged w/o load PTO shaft turns, no issues there. John Deere LX5 rotary mower - PTO shat turns manually (with the help of a crowbar), blades turn freely (no wires wrapped around, etc) The issue I have is when the mower is connected and I try to engage PTO it grinds (loud) and it will not engage. Could the PTO clutch be the issue, bad bearing, adjustment? Any input/ideas greatly appreciated.

patiobob

Equipment
b26
Apr 6, 2021
new jersey
Is mower new to you/this tractor? Or have you used it without issue before? Are you engaging pto at idle? Does PTO engage easily with tractor not running? Can you start your tractor with PTO already engaged, if so, is it able to turn the mower blades or is it stalling/stressing engine?

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
I don't understand PTO turns freely (with the help of a crowbar). With tractor not running and PTO disengaged it should turn freely by hand. With engine running and nothing connected it should turn when engaged - of course you should depress the clutch first. When depressing the clutch be sure to allow a couple of seconds for things to quit spinning before attempting to engage PTO. If this does not work you could have a clutch adjustment issue. You didn't mention what transmission your tractor has nor whether it has a two stage clutch.

retired65

May 30, 2020
Noodle, TX
Is mower new to you/this tractor? Or have you used it without issue before? Are you engaging pto at idle? Does PTO engage easily with tractor not running? Can you start your tractor with PTO already engaged, if so, is it able to turn the mower blades or is it stalling/stressing engine?
Mower is used, have not used before, tried to engage PTO idle, 1000rpm, 1200rpm same every time it grinds. Tried starting with PTO engaged tractor won't start. I'm able to turn blades by hand, mower's PTO shat turn manually no problem I can also turn tractor's PTO by hand. I'm lost

retired65

May 30, 2020
Noodle, TX
I don't understand PTO turns freely (with the help of a crowbar). With tractor not running and PTO disengaged it should turn freely by hand. With engine running and nothing connected it should turn when engaged - of course you should depress the clutch first. When depressing the clutch be sure to allow a couple of seconds for things to quit spinning before attempting to engage PTO. If this does not work you could have a clutch adjustment issue. You didn't mention what transmission your tractor has nor whether it has a two stage clutch.
Meant mower's PTO shaft, yes it has a two stage clutch, "allow a couple of seconds for things" Hmm that could be the issue I try to connect right away. I'll try waiting to a few seconds and see what happens. Thanks for the input.

Reactions: 1 user

patiobob

Equipment
b26
Apr 6, 2021
new jersey
Mower is used, have not used before, tried to engage PTO idle, 1000rpm, 1200rpm same every time it grinds. Tried starting with PTO engaged tractor won't start. I'm able to turn blades by hand, mower's PTO shat turn manually no problem I can also turn tractor's PTO by hand. I'm lost
This is going to sound like a ridiculous question, but we have all been there from time to time. Are you putting the clutch all the way in and waiting a few seconds before engaging the pto lever? The only way it should grind is if the gears in the transmission are spinning at speed, and the pto shaft is at zero. Is it a hydrostatic drive machine by any chance and the clutch lever is not actually working? I can start my b26 without the clutch being in, but I also think some of the safety's are missing on my machine, so I don't know if it is supposed to do that. But, if you take that thought process forward, The safety is an electric switch and the clutch is a mechanical lever, so, if your safety's are working, the engine only knows the safety has been deactivated when you put the clutch in, and allows engine to start, it might not be actually disengaging the transmission. There is probably a second safety switch at the pto lever, which is why it won't start with that on no matter what.

If it is hydrostatic drive.......Start machine, put your clutch in and see if machine will still move forward and backward. If it moves with clutch in, then perhaps clutch pedal is doing nothing mechanically?

retired65

May 30, 2020
Noodle, TX
This is going to sound like a ridiculous question, but we have all been there from time to time. Are you putting the clutch all the way in and waiting a few seconds before engaging the pto lever? The only way it should grind is if the gears in the transmission are spinning at speed, and the pto shaft is at zero. Is it a hydrostatic drive machine by any chance and the clutch lever is not actually working? I can start my b26 without the clutch being in, but I also think some of the safety's are missing on my machine, so I don't know if it is supposed to do that. But, if you take that thought process forward, The safety is an electric switch and the clutch is a mechanical lever, so, if your safety's are working, the engine only knows the safety has been deactivated when you put the clutch in, and allows engine to start, it might not be actually disengaging the transmission. There is probably a second safety switch at the pto lever, which is why it won't start with that on no matter what.

If it is hydrostatic drive.......Start machine, put your clutch in and see if machine will still move forward and backward. If it moves with clutch in, then perhaps clutch pedal is doing nothing mechanically?
I believe the problem is the clutch itself I tried adjusting the clutch but the turnbuckle was frozen, removed the whole clutch assembly took it to a machine shop but it wouldn't budge, went to the Kubota dealer and ordered a new assembly it'll be here next week ... so will see what happens when I install the new one :)