Pit Barrel Cooker

Eesquibel

Equipment
L2501 Hst
May 8, 2020
New Mexico
I seen this at Ace Hardware on sale for $199 for the full size model. They were also including a free PB brand cover ($35 value). I have looked at these before and they are normally $300-$350, so with this smoking savings I couldn’t refuse and I bought it. I haven’t got a chance to use mine yet, but wondering if any one here has used a Pit Barrel and what kind of results you had.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
A guy I use to ride with built one years ago and he was magic with that thing,,, his brisket was a killer,,, this is kind of how he did it, Low slow and OH my it is good

ccoon520

Equipment
L2501 w/ FEL
Apr 15, 2019
IA
All smokers are generally the same principle and there are hundreds of books out there with thousands of recipes. The biggest struggles that you will find is trying to keep a consistent temp which again there are many solutions out there for that too or not having enough room for cut of meat you bought.

I don't think barrels are insulated so if you want to reduce the amount of fuel you need I would suggest putting some high temp insulation around it. This will especially help if you are like me and all weather is grilling/smoking weather to you.

Other than that just start experimenting. You can buy rubs, marinades, injections (if you are into that) and lathers from the store but they are expensive for the amount you get. So if you want to try something you can probably just find something online and you'll probably already have most of the spices in your cupboard.