Older Fuel Cap

lreops

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3400DT W/ LA463 FEL and L235DT W/ BF400 Loader
Dec 26, 2011
Rising Sun, Maryland

I've been thinking of trying to find a Fuel Cap with a gauge for my old L235 (1983). I use a dowel now to check level, works, but thought about how nice it would be to know by just looking at the cap.

Has anyone else had a similar thought and if so, were you successful and where did you find a source.

Ron

Last edited:

lreops

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 26, 2011
Rising Sun, Maryland

The tank is 13" from the bottom of the spout. That doesn't appear to be an issue. The cap appears to be real close to 2.25" diameter (about 56mm). The challenge is whether any 2.25" cap might fit the thread pattern of a foreign machine.

Ron

Stumpy

Equipment
L175
Dec 1, 2011
NE Ohio
Honestly I've never used a cap fuel gauge I liked. Most of that experience comes from outboard fuel tanks but they were always sketchy and it was more accurate just to look or use a dip stick.

I think I'd just attach a dip stick to the original cap myself. If you're dead set on the gauge find a plastic cap that's close and either just force or get a router bit for a dremel and modify to suit.

kubotasam

Equipment
B2410, B7100dt, B7500,Woods BH750,Landpride 2660RFM, Tiller, B2781 Snowblower
Apr 26, 2010
Alfred Maine
On both of my B7100's I made a sight gauge to check fuel level. I purchased 2 brass fuel line T's and a short section of clear fuel line. I put one T into the fuel line next to the fuel filter. Connected the clear line then ran it up the side of the tank. Put the other T into the return line at the top of the tank and connected the other end of the clear line. Now the fuel in the clear line is visible and is at the same height as the level of the tank. It is simple and relatively cheap.

lreops

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 26, 2011
Rising Sun, Maryland

That seems to be an option that could be considered. I'll have to look to see if this is workable on mine.

Good suggestion, hoping some more ideas that some have had will get posted.

Ron

lreops

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 26, 2011
Rising Sun, Maryland
Good link, I'd already found that one and a couple more. Again, my main concern is the thread pattern. I've had many different 5 gal fuel cans with same diameter caps and they are not always interchangeable. That's why I'm hoping that someone would know if this is an issue, rather than sending for one and finding out it is different, and go through the hassle of returning it. Being that they are plastic, I guess some modification might be able to be done, but if that could be avoided, it would be better to find one that truly fits.

I appreciate everyone's help. Keep it coming.

Ron

GSDGUY

Equipment
L245DT
Sep 7, 2009
Daleville,In
I don't know if yours is the same but on my l245 there is a sight tube factory installed on the left side of the fuel tank. Mine was so dark you couldn't see the fuel. I replaced it and now it's much easier to check.

lreops

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 26, 2011
Rising Sun, Maryland
I don't know if yours is the same but on my l245 there is a sight tube factory installed on the left side of the fuel tank. Mine was so dark you couldn't see the fuel. I replaced it and now it's much easier to check.
I read your reply and thought, there's no way I have that on my tractor because I've been front to back and side to side over time and thought I knew everything on it. Well, low and behold, there it was. The tractor was repainted well before I got it and they apparently just painted right over it. Removed the paint off of it and I saw why it was painted over. After thirty years, it had seen better days. Dark, almost black, so there would be no way you could see anything in it.

Now I know what needs to be done, I have just one question. I see with mine, there are no kind of clamp at either end. Just what appears to be a couple of wraps of wire securing it. With yours, did you just slide the clear tubing over the fitting and that was enough to not leak, or did you do something different? Shouldn't be any kind of pressure there, other than gravity.

Thanks again for your reply, would of never known that sight tube was there.

Ron

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Mine was also painted over when I bought my tractor (L185F). I bought a "fuel guage" for my L185F and it is simply a piece of clear tubing (34150-35470) and two clips (10013-41770). I looked at the parts list of the tank for your tractor model and did not see the same thing. Maybe I was looking at the wrong model.

The tubing spans from a connection at the top of the tank to another connection at the bottom of the tank. The clips are simply some small (copper?) wire wrapped around in a coil two or three wraps. The clips did not seem to put much pressure on the tube but it does not leak.

I had no real idea how to replace the tube and fittings so I just cut the old tube off and put the clips onto the new tube and pushed them over the connection points. The connection points are not barbed but do have a "swollen" end (like on some cars where the fuel line attached to the in-line fuel filter). Hardest part was trying to get it cut to the correct length so there was no "slop". It might be a good idea to put the tube into hot water so it can be stretched out slightly and then tighten up when it cools down. Mine ended up a bit loose (but my wife tells me I worry about the weirdest things). I think eventually I will buy some adhesive letters to mark "FULL" "HALF" and "EMPTY" on the side of the tank just because I can.

Last edited:

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Good luck with it. I was surprised that Kubota still caried those parts but perhaps they used similar system for years.

One other thing to avoid is draining all the fuel out of the tank - the lower connection point on mine is about an inch above the floor of the tank so there is not need to drain it completely. Then you won't need to worry about getting any air in your fuel lines even though you can bleed it out at the filter (on my tractor anyway).

I waited too long and ran out of fuel before I changed mine - thought there was more fuel that there really was!

lreops

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 26, 2011
Rising Sun, Maryland

Thanks again Russell for the enlightenment. Don't know if that part is available, didn't check. I have some clear tubing with two different ID's that I'm sure will work. Already figured by the fitting position that draining completely would not be necessary.

Ron